Check Engine Light

Picked up my van from the upfitter today (really happy with the work and will post pics soon after full completion). My check engine light was on as soon as I started the van. An auxiliary battery, inverter, stereo, and backup camera and monitor were installed. Otherwise, everything else was interior improvements. Is there something obvious that would have thrown a code when disconnected?

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Hopefully the upfitter ran all new power lines to a relay that provides power directly from the battery and did not just tap into existing power lines - The Sprinter wiring harness has a lot of odd things tied together and monitored by the Engine Control Unit - Something pulling more power will cause this type of error or worse.

Will scanning for codes tell me if this is the issue?
A scan with a Sprinter specific scan tool should be your next move. Until you check for DTC's anything is a complete guess as to what caused the MIL (CEL) to come on. Even a scan with a Sprinter scan tool may not give an exact answer, but you need to start there. A generic tool may even provide some information.

If the light is related to something being disconnected during the service, and the condition has corrected then the light may go off after a number of start, stop cycles which include enough rise in engine operating temperature. vic

lindenengineering

Boz
When I read post like these I cannot help thinking about all the numerous canbus issues these conversions often create.
I get one each and very month no less!

Either a bad install or one that has gone "sour" over the elapse of time.
In fact we just tore a pile of "spagaretti" wiring from the 2008 van which had ABS and transmission & vehicle communication issues
This stuff was at least Napa's twin #14 sheathed cable, too big for the application though , (causes current drops for starters.) in this case, but we have seen worse much worse!

The current owner had recently bought the van and it then started going on the "fritz".

I contacted the previous owner who sold it for some background, he considering it to be a van possessed.

This last one had created shorts in the ABS brake apply signal circuitry, corrosion had set into the scotch lock wire splicers (why do people use these things I dunno! :thumbdown:)
The trailer hitch wiring shorted out and for some reason a connection to the transmission control circuits
This was interfering with the hall effect speed sensors in the transmission internal circuit control. It took one of the speed sensor out so we had a limp mode condition.

So it was transmission control valve & circuit dropped. A new circuit board ($270) and about 4 hours of diagnostics plus 8 hours of wiring removal & remediation!
Job was around $1800 to put right.

In short excuse the pun, get it checked and if its the installer's fault!!!!!!
Get the install shop to put it right!
Dennis

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You have a T1N... you really really want to buy a ScanGauge, DashDaq or UltraGauge so that you'll have a quick-and-easy "first guess" at why that one pesky light comes on.
Those devices will also help you drive the Sprinter with better mileage and efficiency.

You're in Portland: you've got Upscale Auto (Sprinter store) in Tulatin, and McCoy Freightliner in Portland... two definite expert sites for Sprinters.
If you find other, simpler spots (even a "free read" at an AutoParts store... DO NOT clear the codes... leave them in there for their captured data if they indicate the need to dig deeper (or if what they report seems completely non-sensical).

As Vic/Aqua said, the light may just be due to the momentary confusion of the battery disconnection... if it self-extinguishes in 5 engine-start/run/stop cycles, then that's it.

--dick (has ScanGauge, which was in-the-mail when my first CEL came on... 300 miles into brand-new ownership)

Update: I just started the van after a full day adventure to the coast yesterday and the CEL is off! The computer must be satisfied that nothing's wrong. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Top Bottom