PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

WARBRAD
01-25-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm Doing A Oil Change This Weekend And Was Wondering If There Is Anything Out Of The Ordinary Or Anything To Watch Out For Thanks

jdcaples
01-25-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm Doing A Oil Change This Weekend And Was Wondering If There Is Anything Out Of The Ordinary Or Anything To Watch Out For Thanks

1) Don't cripple the only vehicle at your disposal
2) Don't over tighten the filter housing cap and o-rings (18 foot/lbs)
3) Don't spill oil on the alternator (it is positioned below the oil fill tube). Use a funnel or some kind of spout that you can control better than the open mouth of an oil container.
4) Check the Owners Manual for proper oil specifications and capacities

The lower oil pan: there's a bolt that most people remove to drain oil. You're supposed to replace the lower oil pan copper gasket seal. Nearly no one does. Technically, the oil is supposed to be sucked out from the engine compartment (I forget if it's the dipstick or the fill tube), but nearly no one does that, either.

-Jon

contractor
01-25-2008, 02:51 PM
1) Don't cripple the only vehicle at your disposal
2) Don't over tighten the filter housing cap and o-rings (18 foot/lbs)
3) Don't spill oil on the alternator (it is positioned below the oil fill tube). Use a funnel or some kind of spout that you can control better than the open mouth of an oil container.
4) Check the Owners Manual for proper oil specifications and capacities

The lower oil pan: there's a bolt that most people remove to drain oil. You're supposed to replace the lower oil pan copper gasket seal. Nearly no one does. Technically, the oil is supposed to be sucked out from the engine compartment (I forget if it's the dipstick or the fill tube), but nearly no one does that, either.

-Jon

Also
Don't overfill. The recommended amount to add is 9 1/2 quarts ... I did this and it was overfilled by 1/2 (the truck was leaning slightly) so add 9 and see were you are.

Drain plug torque? Couldn't find this in the Service Manual. I used the German Torque spec - Gud n tite:smirk:

lildevildee
01-25-2008, 04:00 PM
If you do a topside change, you will be able to tell how many liters you took out. Using the dipstick tube, I was able to take out 12l. I refilled with 12l - and it was perfect. It just takes a while; then again, I'm also used to 4.5l cars, not 12l vans/trucks! Also, if you do a topside, make sure you get underneath to look for any leaks, etc.

contractor
01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
If you do a topside change, you will be able to tell how many liters you took out. Using the dipstick tube, I was able to take out 12l. I refilled with 12l - and it was perfect. It just takes a while; then again, I'm also used to 4.5l cars, not 12l vans/trucks! Also, if you do a topside, make sure you get underneath to look for any leaks, etc.

Lil
I didn't realize that the MY 07 uses a larger quantity of oil... 12 liters for your engine?

kendall69
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Also, be careful on putting the O rings back in place correctly. I put the large O ring down too far,and when I started it up, it looked like an oil fountain. OIL EVERYWHERE. I lost about two quarts finely misted all over the engine and drive. Two hours cleaning up later.

jdcaples
01-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Also
Don't overfill. The recommended amount to add is 9 1/2 quarts ... I did this and it was overfilled by 1/2 (the truck was leaning slightly) so add 9 and see were you are.

Drain plug torque? Couldn't find this in the Service Manual. I used the German Torque spec - Gud n tite:smirk:

This is the NCV3 area. The capacity of the v6 3.0L listed in the service manual for engine oil is 13.21 Quarts. (12.5 Liters)

-Jon

contractor
01-25-2008, 05:08 PM
This is the NCV3 area. The capacity of the v6 3.0L listed in the service manual for engine oil is 13.21 Quarts. (12.5 Liters)

-Jon

Thanks Jon
Thats a lot oi:D