Need service shop or resonator near San Bernardino/Palm Springs

gpavlov

Need suggestions for Sprinter mechanic in San Bernardino area (Palm Springs also an option) or a local place that may stock a turbo resonator or even better a TR eliminator. One that's open on Sunday even better!? A forum user that has a spare one to sell?
Looks like I am in "mild" limp mode (only on uphills, no dash warning lights) on a trip far away from home (in San Bernardino mountains now). Suspecting the resonator or turbo hoses since there's oil around them.

G
415-235-3180 cell/text

sailquik

gpavlov,
You may be able to get the Dorman (upgraded) Turbo resonator at nearly any local auto parts store (most are open on Sunday).
Call around, and you may find the Dorman (I think I heard the lid is NOT glued on like the OEM resonators.
Do you have any way to monitor the MAP/BST (turbo boost pressure).
If you are getting > 30 PSIA and then it goes "POP" could be the resonator.
If you are getting significantly < 25 PSIA then look for a split hose.
If the MAP/BST never increases above ~17-18 PSIA you are definitely in LHM or there is an issue
with the turbo boost vane controller/actuator.
Here's the Dorman Part number for the replacement resonator:

904-303 Dorman Turbocharger Vibration Dampener Resonator 04-06 Dodge Sprinter.

If you have any way to check the MAP/BST (boost pressure) or to read the stored DTC codes
the group may be able to help you troubleshoot a bit further.
Roger

Last edited:

gpavlov

Thank you Roger!
No way foe me to check the boost pressure or read the codes. Is there a common (AutoZone?) tool for checking boost pressure?
I will look for the Dorman part. I was looking for the Riordan eliminator but that doesn't seem commonly stocked.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is there a common (AutoZone?) tool for checking boost pressure?
The ScanGauge II (available at many parts stores, around $150 to 170, depending upon coupons)

Here's the $30 Dorman resonator as an Amazon item:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E323DS/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Looking at their "other vendors" page, Titan Direct is located in California

There is also a "how i did it" thread here in the forum about fixing your existing resonator with JB Weld and/or duct tape and monofiliament.

--dick (who now has the Dorman in his Sprinter)

sailquik

gpavlov,
If you are going to be in that area for a day or 2, you could order the Riordan Turbo Resonator
from Steve @ Europarts SD. Phone: •Phone: 1.858.451.0020
If you do the online order form, and call him tomorrow morning, he can probably overnight ship the resonator to you in the Big Bear/Palm Springs area so if that's the problem you would be back on the road sometime on Tuesday. Europarts SD is just north of San Diego so not far away.
Here's the link:
http://europarts-sd.com/turboresonatoreliminator-2004-2006.asp
Not sure that the generic scanners @ the auto parts stores can monitor boost.
I asked at several auto parts chains a couple of years ago, and they could not.
Might want to think about a Scan Gauge II to cover this sort of issue in the future.
Roger

gpavlov

No luck with any of the 5-6 parts stores I called stocking it. LA Freightliner open Sundays but don't work on Sprinters or stock Sprinter parts.

JB Weld looking like top idea followed by either a visit to a dealer (Moss Bros Dodge in San Bernardino or Crystal Chrysler in Cathedral City, any other/better service centers in the area?) or an overnight order from Europarts SD or similar.

How long is it OK to drive with a cracked resonator? Precautions to take? Much thanks!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
How long is it OK to drive with a cracked resonator? Precautions to take?
Let's see... mine cracked about 300 miles into a 3500 mile lots-of-sideroads trip
(Seattle->Glacier Nat Park->Alberta->Rockies (Jasper,Banff)->BritCol->MtBaker->Seattle)
http://seymourstainedglass.com/travel.html
((it cracked just before leaving Washington into Idaho... i bought my JB Weld in the next "big town" (but didn't use it)))

glacier-map.png

It was intermittently leaking if i pushed past 90% LOD on the Scangauge, so as long as i kept the boost lower, it was not an issue
(stopping, turning off engine, restarting would clear my "no turbo" symptom)

If the symptom wasn't showing up, merely driving a tad more carefully kept it away.
If the symptom did show up, i had the option of driving with a "normally aspirated" engine
(poor acceleration, would not exceed 65 mph (and dropped to 55 to 60 on hills)) or stopping/starting to clear it.
Pulling out into fast traffic took planning and patience (we need a drumming-fingers smiley)

We have a lightly-loaded Sprinter... a fully-equipped RV would weigh more and have far more trouble.

If i remember correctly, mileage took a slight hit

Another source for the aluminum replacement ($140 plus shipping) is UpscaleAuto in Tulatin Oregon:
http://www.upscaleauto.com/sprinter_parts.htm 503-692-0846
(where the NW SprinterFest will be on April 13th)

good luck
--dick

Last edited:

gpavlov

Ordering the TR eliminator from Europarts SD for delivery to a local USPS office worked perfectly. Thanks guys!

Talked to 2 other Sprinter owners in campsites in Joshua Tree -- between the two of them they'd had 4-5 TR failures (one of them had swapped it for a straight piece of pipe after his second failure!) -- amazingly neither had heard of the TR eliminator!

Top Bottom