Experiencing strange problem!Need help!!!

Jim42

Hi,everybody!I'm experiencing very interesting and strange problem!!!Yesterday,morning time,I run truck(05,with 475k on clock) for 10-15 min before get on road.Crank it up and get home for cup of tea.In few min.truck is shut off itself.I'm come back and restarted.It run good for another 2 min.and shut off again.(temp. in mid 30)Everything is working (looks like) but shutting off every 2 min.I change fuel filter(10 min. job)And tried even to get on road,it not allow me make 100 yards and dying again.Restarted and get back on driveway.(I have to take rental gas sucker to get job done). Today get home earlier and start looking.My first think was about fuel pump in tank going bad.Just disconnect tube from fuel filter and adding longer hose to see how much fuel is going through.And I find what fuel pump working for 1-2 min.and then shut off fuel.Something is shutting it off.I get on side driver seat for relay check and find 2 relay and one of them is shutting off the pump.I put the new one and same result.I'm start looking under the hood and find what sensor or valve on injector pump make a weird noise and shut off at same time,like fuel pump in the tank.Can't find what is that valve is?Looks like it going bad,don't now.
Anybody experiencing problem like that?And what is solution to solve that?
Truck sitting on driveway and rental is too expensive to use.Please,HELP!!!
Thanks .

Attachments

The noise you hear is likely the pressure relief valve. It can be annoying, but it generally doesn't affect engine operation.

The first step which I would recommend is to get the DTC's Diagnostic Trouble Codes scanned by a Sprinter specific scan tool. That may give you a direction as to tracing the cause of your problem. Sorry I can't offer more, except to recommend contacting Doktor A. vic

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"two minutes" is also when the Sprinter switches from "cold, open loop" operation to "closed loop", bringing the oxygen sensor into the game.

--dick

rbrennick

And I find what fuel pump working for 1-2 min.and then shut off fuel.
-With engine running or no? With just key on and not running, it will do that- it "times out."
- When running, just quits and no CEL/ no code? If so, pull the EGR valve, clean it, and make sure it moves
freely. Put it back in. It may be that easy. Just happened to me last week on my 2004
with 497k on it. Just ran 3500 miles since without a hiccup.(Expedite miles)
I've owned 12 of the 2004-2006 models so far and had a same symptoms on another one
a few summers ago- pulled my hair out thinking it was "some complex electrical" issue, but it
was just a sticky EGR that wouldn't close all the way and messed up the intake air flow causing it to randomly quit...

Give it a shot- only takes a few minutes to do..:thumbup:
Rich

Last edited:

Jim42

-With engine running or no? With just key on and not running, it will do that- it "times out."
- When running, just quits and no CEL/ no code? If so, pull the EGR valve, clean it, and make sure it moves
freely. Put it back in. It may be that easy. Just happened to me last week on my 2004
with 497k on it. Just ran 3500 miles since without a hiccup.(Expedite miles)
I've owned 12 of the 2004-2006 models so far and had a same symptoms on another one
a few summers ago- pulled my hair out thinking it was "some complex electrical" issue, but it
was just a sticky EGR that wouldn't close all the way and messed up the intake air flow causing it to randomly quit...

Give it a shot- only takes a few minutes to do..:thumbup:
Rich
Hi,everybody! I don't now how EGR valve is connected to problem what I got! BUT...
Today in morning,I took off EGR valve.It was easy and nothing bad inside.Just clean it up! Put it back.AND Oooo... it magic.!!!Truck stop shutting itself and running like new.
Now major codes find by DAD.Just low pressure in fuel rail,which is causing cutting fuel from fuel sending unit in tank.
Thanks Rich!!!Thanks a lot for everybody! This forum like a school,always something learned every time ,when I log in to this place.
Thanks again.
Next week I will make a pictures about exhaust.Problems is coming from that side.May be somebody solve it before. :bounce::thumbup::bounce:

Jim42

Hi,everybody!To continue this story,After EGR clean up,my truck was running great but not so long time.After 2 days same problem has occurred and it was NIGHTMARE. Every 2-3 min. van is shut off and after re-start runs good for another 2-3 min. and shut off again.And it is different story how I get home.Went home 7 pm and get under truck,took fuel tank out.And fuel sending unit was replaced.It was it!!!:bash: After that ,truck running like a baby.
Like I said before,is no connection between EGR and fuel feeding.Maybe is some,don't now.
Changing the tank fuel pump was easy,about 3 hour job.Worst part of this job is getting fuel out of tank(it was left about 14 gal).Fuel tank was nice and clean.:bounce:
In other post I remember dr.A said,pressure from fuel tank pump must to be about 55 psi.And looks like,if it not some sensors on injector fuel pump sending signal to computer saying is not enough pressure from lower pump and comp. shut off the feeding pump to not harm engine.
This is my opinion on that problem,with was solved 3 hour job, $400(for a new pump) and Great members of this forum.Thanks to everybody!!!:cheers:

Jim42

Hello,again!Today I was curious about fuel pump ,Why it stop working.I make some pictures and want to share it :
On pictures you can see what was inside looks like some rust.Pump still work but connectors and socket looks fused. Question WHY? Too old?
:idunno::thinking:

Attachments

Top Bottom