PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Transmission Lines

SkyDan
04-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Anyone done/thought about upgrading 3/8 lines to 1/2? Do parts exist for an upgrade? :idunno: I seem like can't find them

lindenengineering
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Skydan
To upgrade the transmission lines consult a local Aeroquip hose agent.

I use a local dealer in Denver that installs Aeroquip "blue hose" to Sprinter and Landrover cooler lines; the latter are very expensive, don't last past 80,000miles and the Aeroquips will most likely outlast the vehicle.
Dennis
zedcars

sailquik
04-06-2013, 08:56 PM
SkyDan,
Why do you want to increase the size of the transmission oil cooler/heater lines?
The pumps and valves inside your NAG-1 Transmission were designed and calibrated to work with
the OEM trans fluid cooler/heater line diameter.
Increasing the size of the lines might help cool the trans in the summer, but AFAIK the trans temps, even towing at
near capacity in ~> 100 deg. heat and humidity, are never really more than 15-20 deg. higher than the coolant temps.
Inquiring minds would like to know?
When the engine heats up pulling a steep grade in the summer, if you downshift to limit the heat in the trans and
keep the coolant temps more normal, you will probably have no issues.
Roger

SkyDan
04-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Dennis, thanks. I will def. check Aeroquip out. Appreciate the pointer.

Roger, Hi.

My Ride: 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Extended with 175K

Does my vehicle have NAG-1 Transmission?

I want to install Magnefine Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter in my never ending struggle with RSN. I was looking for the size of the transmission lines to order the correct filter, choices are 1/2, 3/8 and 5/16. I believe the stock size is 3/8. I came across a forum page where a dude was telling about some benefits of bigger lines 1/2 vs 3/8. Among those benefits were lower temperatures of the ATF. My :censored: RSN gets worse when the temps are higher. I am desperate at this moment and will try anything to fix or subdue the syndrome. The summer is coming and I thought about upgrading if parts are readily available.:hmmm:

Cheers,
Dan

sailquik
04-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Dan,
If you have a MB/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter in the USA (NAFTA Spec) or Canada, then yes, you have the NAG-1 transmission. NAFTA Sprinters do not come with any other
transmission AFAIK.

What fluid are you running in your transmission?
Have you tried a complete trans. service and torque convertor drain using MB 236.12 fluid?
The fluid is available in a couple of different places:
MB 236.12 ATF 3353 (P/N A001 99 45 03)
Shell ATF 3353
Fuchs Titan ATF 3353
MOPAR Sprinter/Crossfire MB 236.2 (This fluid is Sprinter specific and currently available on Ebay for
$4.99/qt. It takes about 9-10 quarts for a trans/torque convertor change).

Also, you might want to check with Dr. A about his RSN fix. Not sure it's applicable to the later NCV3 NAG-1 transmissions, but it would be smart to check
as the DARF (Dr. A Rumblestrip Fix) has corrected a lot of RSN in T1N NAG-1's.
If you use the correct fluid, and drain both the trans. pan (change the filter while you are in there) and the torque convertor, I'm not sure what an additional filter
would do for you.
Roger

SkyDan
04-07-2013, 04:24 AM
I emailed the good doctor. Andy does not have a fix kit for 2008. He recommended the fluid change.

I did it today and some RSN is still there(it was really severe before). I couldn't drain the TC, had no tool to fit that pathetic little opening. I refilled the tranny with 6 quarts of Shell ATF134(MB spec 236.14) mixed with 10 oz of Lubegard Red and called it quits. The job was a nightmare. I couldn't even remove the drain plug from the pan. I broke 2 T30 torx bits, I tried to heat it with a hand torch, nothing. So I unscrewed the pan and dumped oil in a bucket, driveway, my head, hair, hands, sleeves, etc. I think the oil was the original oil from the factory, since it was pretty much like a sludge, dark brown, almost black in color. I know the horror stories about changing the oil where it was never changed, but I am sick of the severe RSN and took the risk. It is better but some RSN is still there and on empty truck:frown:. I bet when I load it will get worse. I have spend a long time trying to unscrew the TC plug, I was able to fit No. 4 hex bit, but had no tool to turn it. Also, how do I get the oil back into the TC when it drained? Does it get filled along with the transmission? I am sorry for all the questions Roger and thanks! Dan

sailquik
04-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Dan,
You need a trans filler funnel (one of the long tapered funnels) and a lot of patience.
Both the trans and TC fill through the dipstick tube so you will be there awhile pouring 4- quarts of fluid down that small tube.
I'd suggest getting the correct tools for the TC plug and next time (soon I hope) take the trans pan down and figure a way to get the plug out,
Or buy a new pan/plug/gasket and tighten everything according to the torque specs.
You really need to get the 4-5 quarts of old fluid out of the TC.
I strongly suggest that you get the MB Bevo 236.12 (Fuchs/Shell ATF 3352 or MOPAR P/N 5127382AB Sprinter specific fluid) when you do your next change, and do it soon.
Good clean fluid is what will make your trans operate as smoothly as it's going to with your mileage.
Also, per Dennis at Linden Engineering another full fluid change in a couple thousand miles will sure help to get the gunk out of the pumps and
valve bodies in your trans.
Hope this helps,
Roger

SkyDan
04-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Thank you Roger, I will try changing the fluids again sometime and I hope I will figure it out how to unscrew the plug on the TC.

Aqua Puttana
04-07-2013, 02:05 PM
As to filling... I'm not patient. I've used my squeeze the bottle method for 4 transmission fills so far. Takes very little time.

Details are here. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=225105#post225105

sailquik
04-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Vic/AP,
I did some searching, but could not come up with a definitive answer.
What socket is used for the torque converter drain plug?
I realize there may be different size plug configurations (head size here) that will affect
what tool is the "right tool", but what have you used and do they come in a set to cover
more possible configs.?
Never had to do this....the dealer took care of it on my '06 T1N 3500 and I haven't achieved the mileage yet
on an NCV3 to need it changed.
I'm assuming a 6 point wrench or socket removes the Trans Pan Plug, but again, what size?
Thanks,
Roger

Aqua Puttana
04-07-2013, 03:58 PM
I recall that mine was 5 mm allen, but I have a full set of cheapy Harbor Freight allens so I just picked the one that fit.

I recalled that the NCV3 has a different size. :idunno: This thread confirms that smaller size (4 mm). 2006 apparently was a change year.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526

All the sizes needed for the different style TC seem to be mentioned during the discussion. vic

Vic/AP,
I did some searching, but could not come up with a definitive answer.
What socket is used for the torque converter drain plug?
I realize there may be different size plug configurations (head size here) that will affect
what tool is the "right tool", but what have you used and do they come in a set to cover
more possible configs.?
Never had to do this....the dealer took care of it on my '06 T1N 3500 and I haven't achieved the mileage yet
on an NCV3 to need it changed.
I'm assuming a 6 point wrench or socket removes the Trans Pan Plug, but again, what size?
Thanks,
Roger

SkyDan
04-07-2013, 09:49 PM
it was T30 torx for trans pan plug and fasteners and hex no. 4 bit for TC plug and I couldn't unscrew either one:wtf: