Sooooo.... anybody got a custom exhaust?

svaric2

i just noticed that the stock exhaust (2004) is kinda restrictive, like 2" :eek:
even while idling, the stream coming out looks like its going 30 miles per hour (if i can even judge the speed of a gas :crazy:)

comparatively, my grand am's stock exhaust at idle just seeps outward slowly.

soo, has anyone relieved the pressure after the snail or no?

svaric2

i dunno, 700 beans maybe?

im just worried that it will be annoingly loud. if there are any quiet 2.5" or 3" pipes out there, id put down around 700 bux

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
700 beans :laughing:
So your trying to have a quieter exhaust:hmmm: you could put a resonator at the back that would muffle the beast a little , or spend some money, and put in wall to wall carpet in the front that would and will cut cabin noise, thinking you may have just a metal box like most of us , where the empty chamber sounds like a echo box in it's own right.mine is very quiet because of putting carpet through the entire floor areas of the van.
Richard

svaric2

well im fine with how it sounds now, (and no i dont have the floor carpeted), but i just wanted to know if there are any less restrictive exhausts out there for the 2004 3500 model. (prefferably not any louder than stock).

or maybe its better to just custom make one at a shop?

Micky

i just noticed that the stock exhaust (2004) is kinda restrictive, like 2" :eek:
even while idling, the stream coming out looks like its going 30 miles per hour (if i can even judge the speed of a gas :crazy:)

comparatively, my grand am's stock exhaust at idle just seeps outward slowly.

soo, has anyone relieved the pressure after the snail or no?
Hi. does it make any difference to peformance or mpg. as i have been thinking about fabricating a sistem in stainless steel. Can a bigger bore pipe do any damage.
Micky

mgjessop

Most of the back press would be coming from the monster muffler these things have on them... The muffler on the sprinter has 10 chambers... If you when with a 3-4 chamber muffler you would pick up some more power... You might only get 2-5hp but you might gain at least 10-20lbs of torque... If you make it flow better you should also get a little more mpg... The trade off is it will be louder... If we could only make the sprinter sound like my 03 turbo cobra... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a4d634e3-7de0-4194-8a39-9a2000aefe58.htm

KenB

On my Sprinter some very helpful chop-shoppers stole the middle section of my exhaust... presumably to sell the catalyst, sinece they cut it all out (sloppy-like) with a rechargeable Sawz-All... The effect was minimal on noise except: 1) when the down-pipe from the Turbo was clanging on the cross-member, and 2) when the turbo was really pumped up. The turbo noise was really BOSS when downshifted to 2nd at about 42 MPH... Awsome roar!!!

But really, it was remarkably quiet, not terribly noisy. the Sprinter isn't you best bet for quiet transportation unless you do a lot of insulation, damping, etc. but the missing exhaust didn't make it horrible either... very surprising.

My Dad's Ford Van (1Ton, SuperDuty Diesel) with 4" exhaust (for towing an AirStream 26' "Toaster") is much more noisy than with the "stock" exhaust (resonant...... like a big pipe organ).

KenB

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
the Sprinter isn't you best bet for quiet transportation unless you do a lot of insulation, damping, etc.

KenB
It depends on your expectations and what you're used to driving; it's pretty subjective, too. The Sprinter's dead quiet to me but I was driving something 4 or 5 times louder in general for the decade prior. My '07 is probably about twice louder than my girlfriend's 2000 Xterra.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
As a point of interest, the tail section of the exhaust system on a CDI can be omitted when replacement time comes round.

Indeed many aftermarket manufacturers don't even list it!

Simon

svaric2

Most of the back press would be coming from the monster muffler these things have on them... The muffler on the sprinter has 10 chambers... If you when with a 3-4 chamber muffler you would pick up some more power... You might only get 2-5hp but you might gain at least 10-20lbs of torque... If you make it flow better you should also get a little more mpg... The trade off is it will be louder... If we could only make the sprinter sound like my 03 turbo cobra... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a4d634e3-7de0-4194-8a39-9a2000aefe58.htm
Well one thing is for sure, getting a less restrictive exhaust on a turbo'd motor gives way better gains in both power and mileage than getting one for a naturally aspirated car; just for the reason that the turbo spools up a whole lot easier. this means way less turbo lag, and way more power. I'm guessing that a straight pipe right after the turbo would give the sprinter 15-20 hp and 25-35 ft-lbs of torque. And that's speaking conservatively.

Once again the thing i'm worried about is noise. Straight pipes are MUCHO loud and annoying. :thumbdown:

It'd be awesome if someone did this and posted a vid on youtube or something.

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
I don't think the straight pipe set up would be too loud. You will get some whistle, but the turbo really calms things down.

Nate

I also don't think you would get excessive noise with straight pipes.

My wifes 2002 VW TDi has no muffler so it has a cat and resonater and it's not very loud at all. The turbo really muffles quite a bit of the noise.

It's much quieter than her 93 gasser golf was with a TT cat back exhaust that included a muffler.

solera

Can't speak directly about diesels,

but i have run many a turbo motorcycle with nothing but straight pipe,,, downstream of the turbo.

And they, were quite quiet. The turbo itself,,,,, is a great,, ''muffler''.. :thumbup:

SprintED

I have looked into free flowing exhaust systems for almost every gasser I have owned in the past 10 years. But issues with back pressure, O2 sensors etc... always had me think that I would be buying more trouble. Lots of issues reported with GM vortec engines when you reduce the back pressure, Having to buy O2 simulators to fool the computer on the TJ's I have owned etc....

So I would like to hear from a few of the pros like Doktor A, etc... as to what negative affects (if any) a 3" straight pipe would have on the delicate computer controlled engine systems found on a diesel Sprinter.

I would love to...let my sprinter breath as freely as possible.

Ed

KenB

My real point is that the exhaust wasn't all that noisy even when it was just a bit of pipe hanging (literally) off of the turbo (the entire midsection stolen)... but then again a long resonant pipe can produce an entirely different set of noises than those of a short pipe... and excite cabin resonances that are not otherwise heard.

While I had a shortened system, I added a Stainless Steel flex pipe to shoot the fumes out the side instead of letting them hang about under the body of the VOX...

For performance only I think my prefererance would be to shorten the exhaust (catalyst and high-flow muffler included, drop the resonance chamber) and have it come out in front of the rear tires, but on a diesel, the soot deposits on your vehicle might increase.

I have already added a Polished Stanless Steel tip extension to get soot past the rear bumper, but it is not restrictive in any way and is insulated so it doesn't cook your leg if you bump into it (it doesn't stick out much anyway).

KenB

svaric2

I have looked into free flowing exhaust systems for almost every gasser I have owned in the past 10 years. But issues with back pressure, O2 sensors etc... always had me think that I would be buying more trouble. Lots of issues reported with GM vortec engines when you reduce the back pressure, Having to buy O2 simulators to fool the computer on the TJ's I have owned etc....

So I would like to hear from a few of the pros like Doktor A, etc... as to what negative affects (if any) a 3" straight pipe would have on the delicate computer controlled engine systems found on a diesel Sprinter.

I would love to...let my sprinter breath as freely as possible.

Ed
I know that backpressure for an N/A motor is important in achieving efficiency, but in the diesel, the turbo fins serve as good backpressure, (at least i think so). :hmmm:

But yeah, id definately want to hear what an expert has to say about this. If there are no negative effects i'm going straight to the local exhaust shop. (at least now i know that noise is a non issue).

Micky

Hi folks always nice to hear your comments, I too would like to hear from the experts out there . as i would like to re-work the exhaust on my sprinter 216. and have larger twin stainless out the back like Hartman tuning pick up sprinter (germany) Micky.

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
On the 216 the main exhaust is removed and the VW twin exhaust is mounted east west with out flow pipes either side, the problem is where do you fit the spare tire as the carrier is removed, Same with the NCV :idunno: Richard
mercsp5_10.jpg

Top Bottom