Safelite and a tale of 2, now 3 new windshields

kmessinger

Just putting a summary here of my adventure with Safelite Windshields.

Aug 10, Broken windshield. Called Progressive.
Aug 13, Windshield replaced in Walnut Creek by Mohammad. (1)
Aug 21, Redone by Mohammed because the job had molding sticking out and looked like crap.
Dec 21, Discovered it leaked water when parked in the rain but Safelite Union City can't find it. They say it must becoming from the roof not the windshield.

Feb 8, Back to Safelite with the soggy headliner cut away so they can see the leaks - they replaced windshield. (2)
Mar 1, Back to Safelite so they can see the headliner problem and order a new one.
Mar 15, Back to Safelite to have the headliner replaced. Wrong headliner - the replacement was for a low roof Sprinter. In trying to fit it in they managed to bust the rear view mirror off the windshield which broke the windshield.
Mar 18, They insist the headliner is the correct even though the part numbers are different. They want to send me to a custom shop that will mold the headliner in place. I told how wrong they were and expected them to order a different headliner.
Apr 2, Called Safelite expecting a new headliner to have come in. Nope. They once again want to send me to the custom guy. I set up a conference call between Beshoff Motor Cars parts department and Safelite and me. Finally, I think they believe me and that they have the wrong part.

And I still have to have headliner and new glass (3) put in.

I am not sure why I am patient with this - totally unlike me. I guess at this stage it has stepped out of reality and I feel like I am just an observer to this insanity.

Ahhh, the joys and adventures of owning a Sprinter.

Keith

NBB

I don't like Safelite in general, but they have an independently owned and operated shop near my work that seems to do good work.

I did have a bad experience once with the shop that's near my house and I did not go through Safelite to get it fixed - I went somewhere else and had Safelite pay for it. That worked much better.

As I like to say: The first rule of dealing with morons is...stop dealing with the morons...

T.J.T

I am not sure why I am patient with this - totally unlike me. I guess at this stage it has stepped out of reality and I feel like I am just an observer to this insanity.

Ahhh, the joys and adventures of owning a Sprinter.

Keith
Ive had this feeling more then a few times owning a sprinter. You know they are wrong... You know they are so wrong you cant even explain it to them so it becomes almost comical and you have to step back and let them F#$% it all up just so they understand correctly.

Ive been to patient many times with my sprinter, but I almost feel like I don't expect people to really know whats going on other then those great few on this website.

God knows how many problems I would have if I didn't find this place.

cahaak

I've had my sprinter windshield replaced and also had the one in my minivan done. The sprinter one, I actually drove down to their shop (this was a shop recommended to me by the insurance - full glass coverage and they were paying). They took out the glass and then let me clean and prime the area around the opening. I did this because of the rust issues. Then I let the whole thing dry (helped it with a heat gun) and they put the glass in while I watched. I think it is very good to actually watch the process. It is not that complicated, but they need to do it right, have the right amount of urethane adhesive, put the gasket on the glass correctly, and prime correctly and so on.

On my minivan, they came and did it in the lot at work. I went out and watched the guy do it and talked with him. He was very experienced. Removed the glass without a power tool. Showed me once the glass was removed how someone removed the glass once with a power tool and cut into the paint on the surround which was starting to rust. Not too much could be done, but he primed that area with extra material.

I think the take home for me was that there are guys (gals) who do this and really know what they are doing, make it look easy and do it right. There are also those that don't. I would insist on watching them do it and take time to talk with them when appropriate. Unfortunately it can be messed up and then you don't really find out about it until later as it is hidden.

Chris

Keith,
That just isn't right. I don't know what I'd do. I hope it turns out well. My confidence would be low. vic

Did Progressive sic Safelite on you, rather than letting a dealer fix it? If so, one more reason not to like Progressive!
Good point. Has Progressive been updated? Maybe they will help sort all this out. As often as I have said that insurance companies are happy to take your money, but then treat you like like a criminal when you file a claim, my last couple experiences have gone OK (well, one after some follow-up on my part). Contacting Progress would at least make them aware of the poor service and get it on some kind of record. Maybe they will send you to another repair shop? vic

PLUMMER

When replacing glass it is important to follow the law, insurance law and manufacture guidelines. Thankfully I learned this thru Vern's auto body in flint, MI. Most insurance companies hate this guy, cuz he works to the letter of the law. State Farm wanted aftermarket glass ( half price, of course) . The shop proceeded to explain the glass is a part of the body structure and also a part required for crash safety test standards. The budget glass is all glass that doesn't meet specs or has flaws, and in some cases worse. Specifically made cheap,, with no standards. The insurance company replaced glass using only OEM parts on all my vehicles, MB,BMW, Ford and GM. This same law applies the body panels and other parts. Many times these parts will weigh less, have fewer spot welds or different weld period. Thus can no way repeat the crash safety standard, unless you know this the ins company just pushes sub par parts... ALWAYS HAVE A MB OR FREIGHTLINER SHOP do any and all work, or suffer these kinda problems. Not even dodge is good enuff

chromisdesigns

When replacing glass it is important to follow the law, insurance law and manufacture guidelines. Thankfully I learned this thru Vern's auto body in flint, MI. Most insurance companies hate this guy, cuz he works to the letter of the law. State Farm wanted aftermarket glass ( half price, of course) . The shop proceeded to explain the glass is a part of the body structure and also a part required for crash safety test standards. The budget glass is all glass that doesn't meet specs or has flaws, and in some cases worse. Specifically made cheap,, with no standards. The insurance company replaced glass using only OEM parts on all my vehicles, MB,BMW, Ford and GM. This same law applies the body panels and other parts. Many times these parts will weigh less, have fewer spot welds or different weld period. Thus can no way repeat the crash safety standard, unless you know this the ins company just pushes sub par parts... ALWAYS HAVE A MB OR FREIGHTLINER SHOP do any and all work, or suffer these kinda problems. Not even dodge is good enuff
You are absolutely right; unfortunately, many insurance contracts explicity state (buried in the fine print in the stuff they send you AFTER you buy, of course), that they can use non-OEM parts to make repairs, AT THEIR OPTION.

You can get insurance that specifies only OEM parts if you ask, but often it costs more. Let the buyer beware...

kmessinger

Did Progressive sic Safelite on you, rather than letting a dealer fix it? If so, one more reason not to like Progressive!
No. I have been very happy with Progressive. When my original sliding door window broke I asked if I could replace it with a more expensive CR Laurence awning type. They agreed with no problem.

Keith

kmessinger

Keith,
That just isn't right. I don't know what I'd do. I hope it turns out well. My confidence would be low. vic

Good point. Has Progressive been updated? Maybe they will help sort all this out. As often as I have said that insurance companies are happy to take your money, but then treat you like like a criminal when you file a claim, my last couple experiences have gone OK (well, one after some follow-up on my part). Contacting Progress would at least make them aware of the poor service and get it on some kind of record. Maybe they will send you to another repair shop? vic
I contacted them after the first shop. They were very willing to help. Next time I will take it to the dealer for repair although I am sure they would show the dealer as Dodge who would more than likely just out-source it.

Keith

Top Bottom