PDA

View Full Version : Can a flat ruin a new tire?

kmessinger
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
51481 I was just wondering if the weight of the Sprinter could "cut" or cause damage to this tire. We just put 4 new tires on yesterday. Never had this problem before! The dark area on the drive-way is condensation that runs off the bus.

Thanks,

Keith

Aqua Puttana
03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
51481 I was just wondering if the weight of the Sprinter could "cut" or cause damage to this tire. We just put 4 new tires on yesterday. Never had this problem before! The dark area on the drive-way is condensation that runs off the bus.

Thanks,

Keith
My opinion...

I suppose it is possible, but when a sitting tire deflates it settles on to the rim, it doesn't collapse on to it.

Not you asked...

New tires? Flat over night? Unless you picked up a nail, I'd suspect a rim leak. I'd check all the other pressures. If even one other tire is low I'd ask them to remove all the tires from the vehicle to check all for rim leaks with soap solution. Good luck. vic

chads
03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
I would say tire most likely ok unless you drive on it.
I would put the spare on.
I would just take it back and have them repair it.
Chad

kmessinger
03-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Slow leak. Pretty sure not a nail. The spare is too heavy in less it is a emergency so I am going to air it up with my compressor and head for the store tomorrow. These are oversize tires that have been successfully used on steel rims but I may be the first to use them on alloys. Both the steel and alloy are not wide enough 6-1/2" vs the recommended 7" yet many run them with no problem.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22633&highlight=tire

Love the TPMS. We were headed out last night and the warning came on. I re-calibrated and it came on again. Got off the freeway and measured - 37 pounds vs 75 in the other rear time. Just enough time and air to get home and change to my wife's Miata. (I hate that car. I just close my eyes and let her "zoom" around.)

autostaretx
03-31-2013, 07:29 PM
New tires? Flat over night?
And i'd suspect a bad valve (Sprinters appreciate having metal-shafted and nut-secured (vs rubber push-ins) valves)

--dick

kmessinger
03-31-2013, 07:44 PM
And i'd suspect a bad valve (Sprinters appreciate having metal-shafted and nut-secured (vs rubber push-ins) valves)

--dick

And that is exactly what it is! Aired it up to about 50psi, sprayed the valve with soapy cleaner and voilą - soap bubbles right where the valve enters the rim.

Mrdi
03-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Auto
Can the screw type valves accommodate the OEM TPMS system ?

autostaretx
03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Auto
Can the screw type valves accommodate the OEM TPMS system ?
I haven't a clue (but i'd hope so)

--dick

ben322
04-02-2013, 02:09 AM
The sensors that replace the actual valve stems are the screw type but you have to replace the seals every time you remove the sensor. The latest TPMS use an external sensor so you would just use the standard rubber high pressure metal valve stem or the all-metal aftermarket style metal valve stem. My dads 2500 RT SS Agile came stock with the standard type but our 3500 has the aftermarket style.

kmessinger
04-02-2013, 07:20 PM
My sensors are all part of the valve stem. What was pinched was the rubber ring on the inside. These just are pushed into the hole in the wheel and then tightened in place by the nut on the outside of the wheel. Someone said you need special valve caps but I am not sure about that.

ben322
04-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Just get some new seals from MB and have a shop install them, (inside & outside). The cap is a standard schrader valve cap.

WPJ
04-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Keith,

Everytime you change the sensors you need a new seal kit they can't be reused

Vander
04-10-2013, 02:44 PM
To answer you actual question, yes a flat tire can ruin a new tire, part of the rear weight is being put on that tire. With out air to support the some of the weight it will wear out the life of the rubber very quickly.