PDA

View Full Version : My dealer SDS codes & diagnosis.

lockpro
03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I took my 2007 to a dealer today to diagnose my limp mode issue.

They read 2513, 2359, 2953, 2952.

They advised that the intake manifolds need to be replaced because of faulty swirl actuator linkages, etc.

Discussion?

sailquik
03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
lockpro,
How many miles on your 2007 Sprinter?
I was afraid that was what they were going to say.
The MB SDS confirmed what your generic scan suggested.
If you feel you can do the wrench work and unplug/replug all the connectors,
you could look for a pair of used manifolds with good swirl valves; check all the online sources
for new manifolds; or let your MB dealers techs change them out for you.
Is this where you bought your Sprinter?
Roger

lockpro
03-30-2013, 01:11 AM
lockpro,
How many miles on your 2007 Sprinter?
If you feel you can do the wrench work . . .
Is this where you bought your Sprinter?
Roger

Roger:
134000 miles.
I won't even try the wrench work. The dealer advises the engine needs to be pulled to perform the repairs. WAY outside my comfort zone. Besides, this my only work truck so I need it fixed fast so I can get back to work.
I bought my Sprinter out of state, this is the closest certified dealer, a 2 hour drive.

sailquik
03-30-2013, 02:20 AM
lockpro,
OK, Sounds good.
Is this a Mercedes dealer/Dodge dealer/Freightliner dealer?
Might want to get another opinion on pulling the engine.
I would think that the manifolds could be removed without taking the engine clear out,
but I haven't done this job, so I could be wrong.
Maybe give Dr. A a call at the global Sprinter center and see if he feels that the engine
need to come out to change the manifolds.
Roger

scubanw3
03-31-2013, 03:17 AM
The engine doesnít need to be removed but replacing the swirl valves is a pain in the butt! Donít forget the upcoming SprinterFests April 13th in Oregon and April 27th in Pennsylvania.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

Vander
04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
LOL, no the workshop instruction do not involve removing the engine, all teardown to replace them is done with the engine in the van. Most MB dealers/dodge dealers add the time of engine removale so they have an easier time on making flat rate and the dealer doesn't lose as much money if it takes longer than 8hr (as you can see 8 hours to do that job is insane it does take longer than that)

sprintguy
04-10-2013, 03:18 PM
The engine can stay right were it is . After you do a few of these , it is a whole lot easier. Not a hard job just time consuming. If it is a Benz dealer or Frieghtliner . the work instructions in WIS are Spot on (except 1 thing , but I will not right it in public, the times already are at the limit.)

Carl

lindenengineering
04-13-2013, 05:08 AM
The engine can stay right were it is . After you do a few of these , it is a whole lot easier. Not a hard job just time consuming. If it is a Benz dealer or Frieghtliner . the work instructions in WIS are Spot on (except 1 thing , but I will not right it in public, the times already are at the limit.)

Carl
Carl
You are right, I have tried it both ways doing this teardown, but I am quickly getting to the stage in life where I hate getting prostrate, painfully bent over the engine for hours on end or doubled up like a bloody pretzel getting stuff out of the engine compartment. OK when I was young AND over enthusiastic I suppose, but now I try to work smarter!

Nowadays I favor pulling it forward just a bit & do this job in comfort.
For the donkey work I have a couple of Mexican "ayudantes" (semi skilled) who make short work (and I mean short work) of a Sprinter engine removal job; a pleasure to watch 'em pull a crooked engine/tranny, or both in this case as a lump out while I do more important work.

As a light hearted send up I sometimes call them my "Mariachi mechanics".
And play this on the shop music system;-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyv4C9bQkQM

That really get the nuts spinning--"andale pues":lol:
Cheers Dennis