PDA

View Full Version : Can you mix Shell 134 atf with mercedes oem trans fluid?

Coast2Coast
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Also was wondering what the torque spec on the gasket would be, I overtightened mine and it seems to be leaking. Should I just replace with new gasket?

flman
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
I would mix it if it were the correct spec for the van. Yeah, sounds like it is time for a new gasket too.

talkinghorse43
03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
70 in-lbs The bolts can be over tightened, but that has no effect on the gasket due to the design of the holding clamps - they bottom out.

Aqua Puttana
03-27-2013, 02:33 PM
... due to the design of the holding clamps - they bottom out.
As Dick said, as long as the clamps are up tight, the actual torque has nothing to do with the sealing properties.

The pan uses what is more correctly called a rubber seal rather than a gasket in the traditional paper or cork design. The rubber seal is designed to be re-used as long as it doesn't show signs of deterioration.

Are you certain it is the pan that is leaking? The electrical connector body has a history of developing leaks.

I believe that I read in the BEVO specs that compatibility of submitted products within the MB spec number is one of the parameters. So any MB236.10, MB236.12, MB236.14 fluid should be compatible. Shell 134 = MB236.14 spec fluid which is reported to be the latest and greatest. vic

Coast2Coast
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Are you certain it is the pan that is leaking?

seems pretty sure that the pan is leaking I remember going tighter then usual because last time I changed my fluid I went to loose and one of the bolts fell out and developed a small leak but I think I'm dumping a qt every 500 miles. I just drove from Denver to Vegas and I lost 5th gear. I pulled out my dipstick last night and sure enough fluid was low, it registered on the stick but it was at the bottom, I put the last 3/4 qt I had in and drove from St George to Vegas, the trans started to smooth out and the engine wasn't over revving itself. I got all the way to Vegas pulled my flashlight out and noticed alot of fluid on the trans pan, only thing to think is I over tighted the gasket. The O ring adapter was replaced by dealership at 145k and I've never had a issue with it, I got the sprinter at 162k and currently at 193k.

Aqua Puttana
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
... I put the last 3/4 qt I had in ...
Not that you asked...

Valvoline Dex/Merc transmission fluid (red jug) lists NAG1 on the label. It is not officially MB approved. Reports are that it is basically a MB236.10 equivalent. It is an ATF III which is what the MB236.14 stuff is based upon. It is readily available in 1 gallon jugs at most auto stores.

I would not hesitate to use that fluid. It is better to not starve the pump, which is what is happening when the sump gets low enough that transmission operation is affected. The fluid will work just fine and avoid any further damage from a starved pump/low level.

Your pan seal may be beyond its useful life. If that is where it is leaking. :idunno: vic

Coast2Coast
03-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Not that you asked...

Valvoline Dex/Merc transmission fluid (red jug) lists NAG1 on the label. It is not officially MB approved. Reports are that it is basically a MB236.10 equivalent. It is an ATF III which is what the MB236.14 stuff is based upon. It is readily available in 1 gallon jugs at most auto stores.

I would not hesitate to use that fluid. It is better to not starve the pump, which is what is happening when the sump gets low enough that transmission operation is affected. The fluid will work just fine and avoid any further damage from a starved pump/low level.

Your pan seal may be beyond its useful life. If that is where it is leaking. :idunno: vic

The pan gasket is a meyle so that pretty much is the reason and I may have overtightened. I found a local german auto shop that has the gasket and a shell distributor in the area that has a case of 134 atf waiting for $62 now I just gotta do a little roadside transmission drain and drop... the pan. :bow: least its not 105 degrees out here yet!

What would be 70ft lbs of torque like snug but not over tightened? I don't have a torque wrench handy

Aqua Puttana
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
What would be 70ft lbs of torque like snug but not over tightened? I don't have a torque wrench handy

INCH POUNDS not foot pounds!!! Snug, not too tight or you can snap the bolts.

Harbor Freight sells inch pound torque wrenches at reasonable price if there is one near you. The quality is good enough for DIY and better than guessing if you don't have some experience to provide muscle memory.

That's right about what I pay for cases of the Shell 134 from an industrial lubricant distributor.

Good luck. vic

shortshort
03-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Use blue Loctite and twist them about as hard as you'd twist a gorilla's nipple.