2014 Ford Transit is now online.

d_bertko

Always happy to see serious competition.

The car & truck mfrs are all in pretty fierce competition right now. The quality rankings jump around quite a bit but the upshot is that the lower-ranked 2013 mfrs almost all have better overall scores than the best from 2008.

Some pretty deep understanding of power train reliability, fuel efficiency, corrosion resistance and driver ergonomics can be gleaned from the 'Net.

Hardly any of us can really appreciate the ESP and engine computer advances and particularly who is going to get the user-interface right. Some really awful GUI's out there at the moment.

And my personal request is for some assist from an integrated battery bank-smart charging system!

Dan

NYC SPRINTERS

GUYS i was playing with ford Website and you know if you select passenger van extended the diesel engine is not available!!! it is probably website mistake because if you select the same van only cargo extended i-5cyl turbo is available and its available with any other configuration!!! i hope its website mistake because I'm waiting for that van to hit the dealers!!! looks good and will be much cheaper then Sprinter!!!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The passenger 130 does not have the diesel, but the passenger 148 does. Why would they do that?

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
The passenger 130 does not have the diesel, but the passenger 148 does. Why would they do that?
Probably some clever bean counter thinking Americans would hate the diesel in that size van? :dripsarcasm:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Some interesting dimensions I found online of Ford high roof relative to the NCV3 Sprinter high roof. Dimensions are for the long wheelbase (147.6") Ford compares to short wheelbase (144") Sprinter. I got the Sprinter dimensions from a 2008 sales brochure.

08 Sprinter Ford Difference

Wheelbase 144" 147.6" + 3.6"
Between wheelwells 53.1" 54.8" + 1.7"
Inside width @ floor 70.1" 69.8" - .3"
Turning radius 47.6' 43.7' - 3.9'
Load height 76.4" 81.4" + 5"
Cargo length 128.5" 143" + 14.5"
Overall length 232.5" 237.6" + 5.1"
Van height 107.5" 237.6" + 5.1"
Volume 371 411 + 40

The accuracy of the above is subject to how they were measured but may give a general idea of the differences. For me the most important dimension is the interior width for across the back sleeping which is slightly less and I wanted slightly more.

NYC SPRINTERS

well in April I'm going to visit NY auto show!!! and I'm going to try talking to somebody from ford representative if its true about no diesel engine in extended passenger van!!! that passenger extended van would be perfect for tour companies,airport shuttle or limo van and what they all want first is fuel economy!!! that v6 eco boost is good motor but can't never match diesel motor fuel economy!!! i still hope its web site mistake about no DIESEL motor in extended passenger van)))

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
well in April I'm going to visit NY auto show!!! and I'm going to try talking to somebody from ford representative if its true about no diesel engine in extended passenger van!!! that passenger extended van would be perfect for tour companies,airport shuttle or limo van and what they all want first is fuel economy!!! that v6 eco boost is good motor but can't never match diesel motor fuel economy!!! i still hope its web site mistake about no DIESEL motor in extended passenger van)))
Im not so sure about the mileage difference.

Its true the ecobosst wont match the economy of an older sprinter, but its quite possible it may match a newer Sprinter and produce more power and torque while doing it.

Ive spent many a mile in an Ecoboost equipped F150 Supercrewcab medium bed. That engine and its 6 speed are magic.

The Sprinter power curve is no match the ecoboost, it makes around 400ft lb at about 2K.

Watch that engine pull my 7000 pound load up a hill in 105 Degree heat and altitude- in 6th gear sub 2000RPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCEO6ipltA

Love the sprinter- dont discount the ecoboost so quickly.

Unce Dave

NYC SPRINTERS

Im not so sure about the mileage difference.

Its true the ecobosst wont match the economy of an older sprinter, but its quite possible it may match a newer Sprinter and produce more power and torque while doing it.

Ive spent many a mile in an Ecoboost equipped F150 Supercrewcab medium bed. That engine and its 6 speed are magic.

The Sprinter power curve is no match the ecoboost, it makes around 400ft lb at about 2K.

Watch that engine pull my 7000 pound load up a hill in 105 Degree heat and altitude- in 6th gear sub 2000RPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCEO6ipltA

Love the sprinter- dont discount the ecoboost so quickly.

Unce Dave
its nice but i will be doing a lot of city driving so diesel is my only option!!! and i don't see the dual wheels option in ford web site... i try to email ford but web site set its under going some updates so email is off... i have time on my hands so i will just wait and see what will be available in near future!!! i look at the fiat ducato/ram promaster well its front wheel drive and its ugly too))) and i don't see passenger version of that van!!! anyway if i don't find anything there will be 2014 sprinter with 6cyl diesel and 7 speed transmission!!! and it will be my selection if ford will not offer diesel on extended passenger wheel base transit van!!!

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Ford can still "blow it" by not offering a wide enough palette of vehicle configurations or the wrong configurations, but the ecoboost is one of the sweetest gasoline powered mills to come out of Detroit in a long time.

The jury is IN on the engine itself and its a winner.

As much as I want to give a "slap on the back and a well done old boy" to my latest purchase (3500)

I'm unsure now that small diesels pretty much all have to deal with a DPF, a urea system, and EGR issues that they hold any significant price performance advantage over the latest gasoline tech. Okay the little Mazda skips one or two of these but it isn't a van.

I want to believe.....

Uncle Dave

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
It is questionable that a current design Sprinter diesel with all its emmission add ons and fluids has any cost operational cost advantages over a similiar gas engined vehicle. At this point it is the only vehicle available in that style vehicle so it does not have any competition. When similiar gas engined vehicles become available it will be interesting to do a spreadsheet for a comparison. I suspect that the gas engine will have a lower ownership cost. When the initial cost and real world mileage are known on a gas vehicle, the spreadsheet can be done.
If the Sprinter costs $10,000 more at purchase and continues to have extremely high major parts replacement costs, the comparison should be interesting.
For my use as a travel van a gas engine domestic built van would probably be a better choice. It can be serviced at more locations and replacement parts would be less. I could also idle it to charge the house battery. Fear of $8,000 transmission and $20,000 engine replacements would be eliminated.
The next year should bring some clarity to the question.

UD: What fuel mileage have you experienced with the EcoBoost in the F 150?

Oakman

Should be a great boost to business. I can't wait to get my hands on a couple to turn them into campers and travel vans. I drive an F-150 with the ecoboost motor and on trips to San Francisco and back to San Diego with a couple dozen business stops I'll be at 22mpg avg. I wonder what the weight difference is going to be on the vans. Bill www.oaktreevans.com

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Ford is going to take back the market in fleet sales, they have always owned that market with the Econoline, the Transit is going to give them the edge they need no matter what is under the hood. IMHO

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
It is questionable that a current design Sprinter diesel with all its emmission add ons and fluids has any cost operational cost advantages over a similiar gas engined vehicle. At this point it is the only vehicle available in that style vehicle so it does not have any competition. When similiar gas engined vehicles become available it will be interesting to do a spreadsheet for a comparison. I suspect that the gas engine will have a lower ownership cost. When the initial cost and real world mileage are known on a gas vehicle, the spreadsheet can be done.
If the Sprinter costs $10,000 more at purchase and continues to have extremely high major parts replacement costs, the comparison should be interesting.
For my use as a travel van a gas engine domestic built van would probably be a better choice. It can be serviced at more locations and replacement parts would be less. I could also idle it to charge the house battery. Fear of $8,000 transmission and $20,000 engine replacements would be eliminated.
The next year should bring some clarity to the question.

UD: What fuel mileage have you experienced with the EcoBoost in the F 150?
I have experience with two different models and have towed and cruised with them about 2-3K miles each (I have generous friends who borrowed my trucks)

The 4x4 supercrew short bed 3:55 rear end truck gets about 21-22 MPG unloaded and about 11 MPG towing that 7K load. This truck had a bench front seat and a column shift.

The 4x4 supercrew medium bed 3:73 rear end truck gets about 18-20 MPG unloaded and about 12-13 MPG towing that 7K load. This was the truck in the video loaded with map bucket seats and a column shifter.

The EB is the best half ton truck Ive ever driven, or towed with by a large margin. It feels like an old school big block.

Uncle Dave

NYC SPRINTERS

yes but what i think the MERCEDES SPRINTER is going to kill all of the competition with fuel economy I'm 100% sure about that... with new 4 cylinder engine and 7 speed automatic... even v6 diesel engine with 7 speed automatic is going to do better than any 4 cyl or 6 cyl gasoline engine from ford...:cheers::rad::cheers:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Ford has announced 3 engines. None of them are 4 cylinder. I would also guess that the Mercedes 4 cylinder diesel will get better fuel economy than any Ford. What I do not know is the total cost of ownership for each brand. It will be very difficult for the Mercedes to have the least cost of ownership. If the price difference is $10,000.00, upcharge for diesel engine, DEF fluid cost, fuel filter costs, diesel higher cost/gallon, very high parts costs, the fuel mileage may not make up the difference. Should be an interesting comparison once all the information is available.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Do you have firsthand info about any new ford products or experience yourself?
Or are you just cutting and pasting stuff from the net?

I can find groups of guys upset with every manufacturer. Im pretty pisst at Nissan myself.
I have personal experience with 2 of these EB trucks towing my own stuff.

I dont own an F150 I own a Nissan Titan.
Heres a video of me towing the same load up the palm springs grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bwK01ljZnc

Once again- not my truck, and I dont own one.

If the guy on the F150 forum can only get 8-12 in town, he doesn't know how to drive. Full Stop.
Take a look at the dash - I went from 12- to 12.1 MPG with a large 7K payload towing from my house uphill through traffic to the palm springs grade. It was also over 100 degrees that day.

Ill stand by my claims as they were researched and documented by ME.

UD

Last edited:

NYC SPRINTERS

Re: somewhere over the rainbow, a rebuttal

One of several from any F150 forum:

Truck: 2011 F-150 Eco-Boost 4x4
Gentlemen: I've have a 2011 Ford F-150 Crew Cab with the Eco-Boost motor & it is TERRIBLE! I've got loss of power, terrible mileage like 8 to 12 around town and no better than 16-17 on the road, if I keep it below 55-60 mph!

My wife and I were ALMOST KILLED TWICE NOW WHEN TRYING TO PASS A SLOWER VEHICLE AND THE FORDS ECO-BOOST MOTOR LOST POWER AND WE HAD TO PULL OVER TO AVOID A COLLISION! FORD is playing with our families and our lives with this defective engine & product and they will do nothing but play the WAITING GAME UNTIL YOUR WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED AND THEN IT'S TOUGH s**t FOR YOU!

(I will be using capitol letters a lot and I am not shouting at you!)
I've taken the truck to the dealer 4 times now and each time I HAVE TO SHOW THEM THE TSB'S TO GET SOMETHING DONE! The Ford Dealer says the motor is so NEW that they have no experience on working on it! FORD has produced a real Problem Engine and has lied to the American Public about how wonderful the ECO-BOOST motor is! We need to file "CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT" & SUE THE LIVING "SH-T" out of FORD MOTER CORP. for producing an engine with Major problems that even their Engineering staff can't fix or even knows how to fix!

I further suggest that all FORD ECO-BOOST owners start really getting vocal at their Ford Dealers and contact the Ford Consumer/Customer Service line and complain, complain, complain! Also write letters to both the Ford Customer Service, Ford's Legal Dept. and contact all the Consumer Protection agencies to see if we all can put more pressure on Ford to finally fix the problems or force them to do a full RECALL!

IF FORD CAN'T FIX ALL THE PROBLEMS THEN BUY ALL THESE DEFECTIVE TRUCKS BACK AND LET FORD DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS! FORD IS USING THE PUBLIC AS THEIR RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT DEPT. AND EVEN THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS! FORD, ALSO KEEPS THROWING TSB'S AT THE PROBLEMS AND NOTHING IS REALLY GETTING FIXED FOR CORRECTED!

BEWARE THAT FORD IS ALSO A MEMBER OF THESE FORUMS AND WILL POST COMMENTS FROM WHAT LOOKS LIKE HAPPY HAPPY ECO-BOOST OWNERS! THIS ALSO IS TOTAL BS!
it is true!!! about all this i know ford has problems with that engine and the main problem somebody told me that it is moisture building up inside turbos...

Top Bottom