PDA

View Full Version : Rear door problem

Array
03-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Yesterday I had to load an oven in the back of the sprinter, I had to open the door fully to load it, so I unscrewed the thing that prevents the door from opening fully and the bracket that's in the door fell, and is now in somewhere in the door :cry:. Any ideas on how to get it? I was thinking of pulling the door panel off and then reach in to the door and find the bracket, but that could be difficult as it is the door with the handle, and I've never and don't know how to pull the panels off. Help!

On a side note does anyone know what the black thing under the drivers seat is?

Colorado_Al
03-19-2013, 06:51 PM
2 things.
1 - the bracket is designed to allow the door to open fully without dismantling it or removing any screws. With the door partially open, you an just pop the latch out before it contacts the retaining clip.
2 - the rear door panel should just pull off. It might be hard to get started but it just has retaining clips in place.

the bracket under the driver's seat is for securing a fire extinguisher.

Array
03-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Ok, so I just pull the panel and it should come off? Will the handle be in the way?

Colorado_Al
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
you should be able to pull the panel enough while leaving it attached at the handle.
Here are steps to remove it fully
The handle cover/trim slides towards the driver's side to remove

surlyoldbill
03-19-2013, 08:34 PM
what Al said.
A special trim removal tool, looks like a two-pronged screwdriver with the head bent at an angle, and a rubber grommet around the shaft, will help to safely remove the trim panel without scratching or breaking anything. A regular screwdriver will work with caution and skill. (use a little piece of 1x1 wood or rubber hose as a fulcrum).

Array
03-23-2013, 11:34 PM
So I finally mustered the courage to fix the problem, and I'm happy to say that is was successful. I looked up the tool that "surlyoldbill" was talking about, and decided that I would make my own using a flat head screwdriver with rubber-bands coiled around the shaft just under the head. I pulled the trim of and screwed the bracket back on and it works perfectly. :thumbup:

sailquik
03-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Array,
The bracket on the side of your drivers seat is where the ICC required fire extinguisher mounts.
Your Sprinter was ordered with the ICC Commercial Van Package.
There is probably a red plastic box right behind the drivers seat box as well.
That's for the ICC required reflective warning Triangles.
If you don't have the red box. they are available on the aftermarket complete with triangles and the ICC
regulates the size of the mounting bracket and box so they are a universal fit in commercial vehicles.
Roger
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51222&stc=1&d=1363717969

NYC SPRINTERS
03-24-2013, 12:04 AM
OMG dude you really did it !!! that door is designed to open 180 degrees with out taking any screws out..... well just pop the panel out from the bottom and bend it enough to stick your magic hand in there with out removing a door handle there you will find what you looking for!!! those latches are designed to open 180 degrees... i cant believe you did that to open the door all the way!!!

Amboman
03-25-2013, 05:01 AM
i cant believe you did that to open the door all the way!!!

Its the "J" curve of learning, we all do it eventually.

Some finger fiddling analysis with the catch may have worked it out, when people are in a hurry analysis is substituted with mission parameters.

Boater
03-26-2013, 06:39 PM
OMG dude you really did it !!! that door is designed to open 180 degrees with out taking any screws out..... well just pop the panel out from the bottom and bend it enough to stick your magic hand in there with out removing a door handle there you will find what you looking for!!! those latches are designed to open 180 degrees... i cant believe you did that to open the door all the way!!!

The check strap can be tight to unhook especially if you don't know it is designed to.

On the other hand, is that the 180 degree opening check strap? Those hinges look good for 270 degree opening. It would be really useful if there was a reference somewhere showing the different door options and checkstraps etc. for T1N and NCV3 - I see so many different checkstraps and checkstrap hooks on ebay described as 180 or 270 degree and I can never be quite sure if the descriptions are right because they differ slightly by model and some listings clearly contradict others! The checkstrap on mine (pass side is missing) seems to be made of cheese, or something equally soft and flexible - I think it should automatically disengage when I close the door (maybe that is a 270 trait?) but if it doesn't it bends in the middle instead. At some point I want to renew them both, when I am certain I have the right type and will be ordering the right type!

Also the magnets for holding the doors open 270 degrees, there seem to be a choice of round or square ones for T1Ns but why does the remaining one of mine have a reflector on it - PO mod or another type I haven't found? Is there a matching pad or magnet to fit on the edge of the door?

Real shame the OP found out the hard way!