PDA

View Full Version : Switch Installation

kjg912
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm looking to install a Radio Switch below the radio when installing a new radio and speakers in my Sprinter so I can run the radio with the igntion off. What is the best way to install this new switch to the right of the shifter? Can I pry off the switch cover plate easily without breaking the console and feed down from the DIN opening and snap in the new switch or is it better to take apart the console around the shifter to install? I know that someone has done this in the past. Thanks.

autostaretx
03-18-2013, 04:27 PM
I must admit i'm a bit puzzled.... my 2005's Sprinter OEM radio is perfectly happy to run with the engine off and key out of the ignition.

One of the pins on the OEM plug is "power all the time", and another is the D+ "engine running" circuit.
Simply powering the radio from the "all the time" pin would seem to solve your problem.

As for disassembling the front consoles, download the 2003 or 2006 service manual(s) from here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
the disassembly is covered, step-by-step...
(and the wiring diagram and pin-outs for the radio connector is covered, too...)
(in the 2003 manual, it's page 8w-50-55.
B+ (all the time) is pin 12,
"FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (ACC-RUN-START)" is pin 15 .. both on connector C1 (C2 goes to the antenna))

--dick

shegolfs2
09-30-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm new to this and not sure how to post a new question, so I'm replying to this thread . . . Our problem is when the key is turned to the off position, the radio and other accessories like the warning beep all remain on. This just recently started happening. It's a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500. It started after towing a boat for about 250 miles. Also, some weird things happen occasionally like when driving, all the lights on the dash come on for no reason. Any ideas? Do you think it's the lock cylinder or ignition switch or maybe a fuse problem? Thanks

NelsonSprinter
10-01-2013, 01:37 AM
I'm new to this and not sure how to post a new question, so I'm replying to this thread . . . Our problem is when the key is turned to the off position, the radio and other accessories like the warning beep all remain on. This just recently started happening. It's a 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500. It started after towing a boat for about 250 miles. Also, some weird things happen occasionally like when driving, all the lights on the dash come on for no reason. Any ideas? Do you think it's the lock cylinder or ignition switch or maybe a fuse problem? Thanks

A new thread can be started by clicking "T1N Talk" on the main Forum list page, then near the top of the lists is " Start a new thread"

Your weird things are probably a result of the trailer towing wire problem especially if it's not an Original MBenz plug harness, with a wiring short or bad ground.