PDA

View Full Version : Generic P0101 - boost pressure

sbpoint
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
So in anticipation of an upcoming road trip and an unknown maintenance history, I changed motor oil/filter, fuel filter, auxiliary heat pump (was out/no espar - now fixed), and have the fluids and parts on hand for the transmission and rear diff.

Yesterday I tackled the oil and fuel filter. Shortly after the change the van (2006 t1n 5 cyl) threw a p0101 code and boost tops out at 5 psi according to the scan gauge. Fearful of an oil overfill I've doubled checked levels hot and it sits right in the middle. No fuel is leaking from the new filter.

Symptom of the boost loss- runs great with up to 22 psi at highway speeds. When I slow or pull off the road the van trows the code. Turn off the van and go and it's back to full boost. Clear the code via scan gauge underway and back to full boost. I'm only seeming to get it to act up if I slow down or stop as it just goes at highway speeds.

So, did I screw something up?

Next steps according to what I've red here - 1) change air filter 2) clean MAF and all other accessible sensor. Sound reasonable? I'd ideally like to avoid the costly trip to the shop, but realize the full diagnostic is probably a good idea before spending money. I thought I'd check in with the pros hear to see if I've possibly screwed something up that can be fixed. Oh, and I'm strapped for cash and in a time crunch. Life.

Holding off on the diff and trans fluids change in fear of messing up the van even more:)

Aqua Puttana
03-17-2013, 11:00 PM
So in anticipation of an upcoming road trip and an unknown maintenance history, I changed motor oil/filter, fuel filter, auxiliary heat pump (was out/no espar - now fixed), and have the fluids and parts on hand for the transmission and rear diff.

Yesterday I tackled the oil and fuel filter. Shortly after the change the van (2006 t1n 5 cyl) threw a p0101 code and boost tops out at 5 psi according to the scan gauge. Fearful of an oil overfill I've doubled checked levels hot and it sits right in the middle. No fuel is leaking from the new filter.
If you were messing with the Espar heater AND changing the oil, filter, fuel, etc. then you were potentially mucking around a bunch of stuff.

My guess.

Check the connectors on the Boost Temperature Sensor and the Boost Pressure Sensor, and the hose connections around there. They are located on the plastic hose joiner assembly near where the oil filter and fuel are located.

Symptom of the boost loss- runs great with up to 22 psi at highway speeds. When I slow or pull off the road the van trows the code. Turn off the van and go and it's back to full boost. Clear the code via scan gauge underway and back to full boost. I'm only seeming to get it to act up if I slow down or stop as it just goes at highway speeds.

So, did I screw something up?
Maybe? :idunno: Check the electrical connectors and all the hose connections in the areas you have been working around. It is worth the effort.

Don't let what you did give you tunnel vision. Sometimes coincidences happen coincidentally. Any air leaks in the turbo system can cause the symptoms you describe.

Next steps according to what I've red here - 1) change air filter 2) clean MAF and all other accessible sensor. Sound reasonable? I'd ideally like to avoid the costly trip to the shop, but realize the full diagnostic is probably a good idea before spending money. I thought I'd check in with the pros hear to see if I've possibly screwed something up that can be fixed. Oh, and I'm strapped for cash and in a time crunch. Life.

Holding off on the diff and trans fluids change in fear of messing up the van even more:)
Personally, I would hold off ANY (well... maybe the air filter could help) additional work until you resolve your present problems. You don't want to introduce any new problems to the mix. Good luck. vic

sbpoint
03-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Thank you Vic. I did unplug and plug back in the sensors you mentioned. Do you think they are worth a cleaning? I'm changing the filter, but decided to wait on the trans and diff until I return. I did a once over on the hoses and will check them again paying attention to the connections. I did have trouble removing the oil filter cap until I purchased the proper tool.

sbpoint
03-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Thank you again Vic.

Found oil on the hose near the connection behind the radiator on the drivers side. It appears the hose clamp was loose. Thought that would do it and took her for a spin. Still threw the code and lost full boost.

Tucked my tail and went to the MAF clean and new air filter. Found the o ring holding in the MAF was trashed and bent in. Also the plastic piece inside of the air box that looks like the end of a trumpet was broken.

Great news is after cleaning the MAF and replacing the filter (sand falling out) the van now appears to be fixed. We'll see after a full day tomorrow, but It looks like I didn't break it after all:)

Now to source the o ring and "trumpet" end on the MAF.