PDA

View Full Version : Hosing Down Cargo Hold with CT-18 and water

Freaky
03-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi,

New here, tried to search the forum, but couldn't find any answers here or on the web.

I bought a used 2003 Sprinter, mechanically sound but was used to car trail bikes by the previous owner. Thus, leaving dust throughout the whole vehicle.

Would there be any major issues if I hose out the whole cargo hold area with CT-18? What potential problems (rust, electrical, etc) might I face.

Thanks

Aqua Puttana
03-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I don't know what CT-18 is. If it is a solvent I would avoid it and use a soap based product.

I've used the wand type drive-in car wash facilities to hose out the inside of step vans. It worked well for me.

My opinion on doing a similar operation on the Sprinter.

Assuming no fancy panels or roof panels are installed. If you use a soap based product it should be fine. The open spaces in the cargo area shouldn't be any problem except back by the tail light areas. I'd go lightly around the harnesses and interior lights.

Maybe pull the front wheels up on ramps to encouage draining? I don't see where a one time wash down would have any real long term affects for rust. If the weather is warm it all should dry in a short time. You may want to sponge out any trapped puddles that can be accessed in the bottom of the walls. FWIW. vic

sailquik
03-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Compressed air and a good shop vac would do a better job with little or no risk.
If there's grease etc (probably only on the floor and fender wells) a damp sponge with
some Awesome household cleaner should take care of it.
Roger

surlyoldbill
03-16-2013, 04:10 PM
If it does get cleaned out, possibly steam cleaning and thorough drying, then perhaps a cavity wax should be applied at that time of "known clean" to prevent future rust due to moisture.
I think it would be a good time investment to remove panels, seats, etc. and clean it up like new.

Oilburner
03-17-2013, 12:12 AM
I use my T1N for light construction, so sometimes have to clean dust, debris.I empty cargo area, my cabin has partition, so I hit whole cargo with powerful electric leaf blower. Having rear door opened and forcing great amount of wind, nothing works better for me :smilewink:

Freaky
03-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Some of the dust and mud seems quite ingrained :bash: thus my thinking about using CT-18 and hosing it down. BTW, CT-18 is a truckwash, pre-soaker designed to get rid of dirt and mud. People swear by it for their trucks, 4x4, bikes and boats. Can't find any info that it will cause any damage.

Initially, I thought about an air compressor, but may not be able to get it all out. Will try hosing it down next weekend. Will cover up any "electrical" areas first just in case. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

geoffs
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
After some recent work on the floor and carrying round some dusty cargo,I mopped my van out with soapy water and then hosed it off.

Fortunately my driveway is steep so I had the rear doors open facing down hill while I did it. A few hours in the sun has dried it out completely.

Altered Sprinter
03-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi,

New here, tried to search the forum, but couldn't find any answers here or on the web.

I bought a used 2003 Sprinter, mechanically sound but was used to car trail bikes by the previous owner. Thus, leaving dust throughout the whole vehicle.

Would there be any major issues if I hose out the whole cargo hold area with CT-18? What potential problems (rust, electrical, etc) might I face.

Thanks Aussie! Chemtech C18 I'd be careful with the tail light assembly wiring as the product as stated is bio degradable and PH neutral.
"However"..."Note it is a known carcinogen"...Class 3 Ch20 IUPAC ID Methanol.

As this product is with a rating of Formaldehyde....[A] use respirators, and avoid contact with skin and eyes in an enclosed area.

The product is corrosive once product dries on alloys or electrical components it converts to Carbon Disulphide {CS2} this is a clear film liken to cling wrap, it ultimately will destroy the tail lights electrical board component.

In other words ....DO not use the product inside the van especially with hot or warm water as this is the active statistical catalyst for emitting of the gas-off.
That should keep you happy.
Cheers Richard51184

WPJ
03-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I like the bokah

autostaretx
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Will cover up any "electrical" areas first just in case.
If you have a factory-installed trailer connection, they put the active tap electronics lying loosely in the left rear taillight area (the side may differ for a right-hand-drive Sprinter... i don't know)
So any water that got in through the holes in the back of the plastic lamp unit, or around the periphery, or from the various holes-in-pillar above it... would all congregate down there and do damage.

--dick

MikeP
03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
We use our Sprinter with a rear entry wheelchair lift and our cargo area up to front seats gets really dirty. We have had several vans over last 30 years and usually get rubber matting front to back. Usually, just use broom/brush to sweep and mop with water, pine~sol and clorox bleach mixture. Don't wring the mop out just leave it dripping and give it a good scrubbing. If stubborn spots use your broom/brush to work grime out. Good long handled brush will clean up around lift, especially if hydraulic fluid has dried with dirt in it on floor. Just leave all your doors open to let dry and air out. Depending on strenght of your mixture you may want to re-mop with just water.
Our Sprinter is a passenger model with vinyl/cloth wall boards. Usually will have wheel marks on wall behind driver seat. Usually just use windex and go over with ArmorAll on the panels.
Good Luck!

RMWise
03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
I usually mopped mine out with a sponge mop. Keep in mind that the wood floor has a "felt" pad under it that can soak up the water you hose it out with and potentially accelerate the rusting process on these vans.

Aqua Puttana
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I usually mopped mine out with a sponge mop. Keep in mind that the wood floor has a "felt" pad under it that can soak up the water you hose it out with and potentially accelerate the rusting process on these vans.

That is certainly a good observation and a consideration if it were to be a regular routine. The concept which I gleaned from the original post is that this is a new to the owner van that was used for messy purpose which won't be continued. Given care around the electrics, I don't see where a one time scrub out in warm weather would have any long term affects. :idunno:

Fine dusty dirt can be a real pain if it isn't gone completely. I think that SurlyOldBill's comment about really getting into it and starting with a clean van is probably the way to go. This may be a one time opportunity. Just one opinion. vic

shortshort
03-18-2013, 05:39 AM
When I track mud in I use a stiff brush on the floor then vacuum. Looks new. Any grease is going to soak into the wood floor and solvent will just push it deeper. The walls are painted metal. Wipe it down with simple green, etc, and then use a cleaner wax if you really wanna get anal. Hosing it out sounds profoundly bad.

surlyoldbill
03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm still finding white dust in inconceivable places from the time I let my ex take the van to Burningman. I may do a major panel-off cleaning this summer. This thread is providing useful info.

Dingo
03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Evening Freaky , drag out your trolley jack & lift the front of the van & place on stands . open the rear doors spray your degreaser & leave it to work . Then either steam clean or pressure wah away the junk . Leave doors open & let water run away & dry out .

I have done this with my sprinters for 14 years plus , no probs . Oh & do it on a hot sunny day , snow filled days are ahrd work when it comes to drying out ( yet again , experience )

Good luck :cheers: