PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel Addititives ?

Adam12
03-16-2013, 12:29 PM
What Diesel Fuel Addititive/s Should we be feeding our Sprinter.
Is there a Diesel Addititive to use with each tankful?

Is there a Diesel Addititive to use once or twice a year?

Anything to provide preventitive maintenance.

:hmmm:
Thanks in Advance ! :bow:

talkinghorse43
03-16-2013, 02:35 PM
MB's BeVo says an owner should not use fuel additives, but MB's BeVo also says fuel minimum cetane should be ~50. US fuel is cetane ~40 minimum. So, I have been using Amalgamated Inc's TDR-S for over 100k miles added at 8 oz/25 gal. It gives me about 1 mpg extra and greatly reduces the amount of soot in the engine oil and intake manifold. I don't use any other additives.

Adam12
03-16-2013, 03:32 PM
MB's BeVo says an owner should not use fuel additives, but MB's BeVo also says fuel minimum cetane should be ~50. US fuel is cetane ~40 minimum. So, I have been using Amalgamated Inc's TDR-S for over 100k miles added at 8 oz/25 gal. It gives me about 1 mpg extra and greatly reduces the amount of soot in the engine oil and intake manifold. I don't use any other additives.

Good TO Know.! Thanks
I wouldnt mind if the " Powers with Knowledge " in this forum Start a thread in the database section regarding Diesel Fuel/s - Pros and Cons..! Proper Levels of Cetone or other properties of the Fuel...!!! Winter / Summer Differences or whatever the relevencies..
This is a great forum and happy to have found out the great info..
Just replaced my Front Brakes and Rotors and Rims & Tires to.
The Front Brake and Rotor Replacement Thread in that section was PRICELESS..~~~!!!!!!!!!
:clapping: To the "Powers with Knowledge at this Forum..! ! ! !
THANK YOU !!:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clappin g::clapping::clapping:

talkinghorse43
03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Read BeVo, the info you seek is there.

Adam12
03-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I remember an old farmer once tell me Diesel engines are More Efficient and just simply better and also so much better then {HIS WORDS} stupid gas gobblers .
Its great to see that its true with the fuel too....:cheers:

I guess why no thread has been posted in the database. !!!

Altered Sprinter
03-17-2013, 04:55 AM
It has down under and has been current since the inception of the forum.Additives work ...But don't expect a miracle cure! if a pre exiting condition exists,?.. "As additives are designed to maintain both the engines operating efficiency",to, and improve , clean fuel, fuel rails and including injectors etc.
Cheers Richard

EZoilburner
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
For years I have used many different additives mainly for My mechanically injected diesels here is a comparison that can help You see which ones really do add lubricity.

bbirdxx2000
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
love to know how Sea Foam would compare. :thinking: Put a bottle in the crankcase and tank, and wow, she felt stonger and more responsive:thumbup:. Should know thios week about MPG

Adam12
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
THANKS "EZ" That will help..
I PUT ON THE MILES.! When I used to own a chevy express van, I was stopping at the petroleum transfer station every day or sometimes 2 ..Now with my Sprinter I make stops every 3 days, sometimes 4 . With the changes with Fuels over the years, Ethanol in gas, I watched my Express GAS mileage drop from 15 to 16 to 11 to 12Then started using gas addititives to get it back up to 14 ish...
BEING A DIESEL NOVICE I have alot to learn... I am a firm believer in preventitive maintenance. So if I can find a good additive that makes sense, I Will use it..
I no longer drive like a lead footed ricochet rabbit, learning that it'$ ju$t not worth it.The time savings being only minutes between stops. and with the Cost of FUEL THESE DAYS....!
MONEY TALKS ! & MINE ONLY SAYS GOODBYE.

Aqua Puttana
03-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I remembered seeing that chart before, but I didn't save it. Thanks for posting it.

My opinions, which are not supported nor do they necessarily agree with BEVO.

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen with anti-gel (white jug) regularly in the winter cold season (we get to -10F and lower occasionally). I use it more sporadically during the summer months.

My reasons:

PS is used by many diesel owners and is readily available.

Going by comparison to other posters when I had some bad glow plugs, without a full complement of GP I was able to easily start down to a lower ambient temperature than most posters mentioned. I believe that the PS helped my low temperature starting. I have no data.

PS claims that their product can improve cetane numbers. Perhaps that is one reason my low temperature starting seems better.

Being that we do get down to -10F and below in the winter I feel I need all the help I can get for starting. I also have a pad type oil pan heater which I use when temps approach -5F or so.

I've heard that higher percentage bio-fuel can loosen junk in your fuel system, distribute into the pumped fuel, and cause problems if bio-fuel hasn't been used regularly. There are states where I almost cannot avoid using 20% bio-fuel. My hope is that the cleaning properties of PS will keep things cleaner. So far it is working.

At least by the chart the Power Service additive isn't taking away lubricity. :thumbup:

HFRR

How Diesel Fuel Is Evaluated For Lubricating Ability:

Diesel fuel and other fluids are tested for lubricating ability using a device called a “High Frequency Reciprocating Rig” or HFRR. The HFRR is currently the Internationally accepted, standardized method to evaluate fluids for lubricating ability. It uses a ball bearing that reciprocates or moves back and forth on a metal surface at a very high frequency for a duration of 90 minutes. The machine does this while the ball bearing and metal surface are immersed in the test fluid (in this case, treated diesel fuel). At the end of the test the ball bearing is examined under a microscope and the “wear scar” on the ball bearing is measured in microns. The larger the wear scar, the poorer the lubricating ability of the fluid. Southwest Research runs every sample twice and averages the size of the wear scar.
The U.S. standard for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel should produce a wear scar of no greater than 520 microns. The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

The baseline number of 636 shown on the chart for untreated ULSD #2 diesel fuel in the USA is interesting information.

Bio-diesel isn't readily available in our area. That looks like a good solution for the HFRR number. Maybe Opti-Lube Winter Blend is something I should consider? :hmmm:

FWIW. vic

Tuck5000
03-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I have been been running Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 for a year now, been averaging 20.5mpg in my 08 170..

surlyoldbill
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
According to the supplied chart, Optilube Summer Blend is the most cost effective choice for those of us in warmer climates.
I use PS silver bottle sporadically, usually I run through 4 tanks (one bottle) and then forget to pick up another bottle for a while. I believe I notice a smoother idle on first start up when I have been using the PS; I've had the varied idle, maybe 75rpm max variance, during warmup for a few years, especially in cold weather.
Someone posted the tip of filling the fuel filter with diesel cleaner when changing it instead of diesel, which seems a little excessive. I may try that with a 50/50 blend next time unless someone tells me that it's a horrible idea. It seems that the concentrated injector cleaner for a short period might clean up the injectors really well.

Adam12
03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks Vic. GREAT POST. !

Took a quick ride up to the truck stop by my house and picked up a bottle of PS Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost.(silver bottle).
They didnt have the white bottle..
Put in 8 oz dose and topped off the tank.

Aqua Puttana
03-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks Vic. GREAT POST. !

Thanks.

That thread that I referred to was 14 pages. Too much to read so I jumped to the last page to see what has been posted lately.

Wow. They closed the thread and jumped to another which is now 44 pages and still alive.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

Too much info for me to even skim. I'll likely just stay with what I've been doing additive wise.

Gotta love oil threads. :thumbup:

vic

Old Crows
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
SWRI Study... http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/education/lubricity%20additive%20study%20results.pdf

Perhaps an easier to read "Executive Summary"........

surlyoldbill
03-18-2013, 02:53 AM
Optilube XPD $52, Summer $54 and Winter $55 per gallon at http://dieselfuellube.com/onsaleorders.html

10 tanks of the XPD, 120 tanks of the Summer. I wonder what the score would be, or damage, if the Optilube Summer was doubled from 1.1 oz to 2.2? As with some things, like medications, doubling the dose doesn't produce double the benefits...

kayakcurt
03-19-2013, 02:19 AM
i've used dk silver bottle for about 12yrs now . started with a stuck injector in a cummins ISB engine called their comp. and got to talk to a lab tech there, he said give the silver bottle atry. at the time this truck was skipping? badly and belching smoke i think he said something like a double dose but not sure now. anyway before 1/2 of 75gal tank was gone, serious improvment;by end of tank problem basicly gone. saved me a pile. if you think stealers are bad try pulling in with a big rig [it's cheaper to fix my boat]. the following year treated each tank at standard dose,now i wait till smoke shows on hard accel and then dose a tank; about every 4th tank. notice increased power, no smoke, better mpg. [tip] when opening bottle cut safety seal so it stays on rim of bottle, this gives it a good tight closing or the odor will stink up your van.:2cents:

surlyoldbill
03-19-2013, 03:01 AM
i've used dk silver bottle for about 12yrs now . started with a stuck injector in a cummins ISB engine called their comp. and got to talk to a lab tech there, he said give the silver bottle atry. at the time this truck was skipping? badly and belching smoke i think he said something like a double dose but not sure now. anyway before 1/2 of 75gal tank was gone, serious improvment;by end of tank problem basicly gone. saved me a pile. if you think stealers are bad try pulling in with a big rig [it's cheaper to fix my boat]. the following year treated each tank at standard dose,now i wait till smoke shows on hard accel and then dose a tank; about every 4th tank. notice increased power, no smoke, better mpg. [tip] when opening bottle cut safety seal so it stays on rim of bottle, this gives it a good tight closing or the odor will stink up your van.:2cents:

Yeah, it stinks. I keep my 32oz bottle under the hood between the headlight and air box.

bucktour
04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
I've been using Amalgamated Inc. TDR-W product for >30k miles now. Also at 8oz./25gal. It get's cold here in winter (-20F not uncommon) and I don't drive much in winter, but when I do my '05 T1N fires right up like its summer.

Of interest was a California road trip last August when I ran out of additive ~700mi into >3000mi. Significant drop in mpg - 27 to 20-21. When I got home and used TDR-W again, my mpg returned to 27. I'm sold on the stuff. Smallest they sell is 5gal so I use a calibrated bottle from some other additive I used earlier (Econol which is awesome but only availible for fleet in 55gal drums).