PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else with this problem?

jcell
01-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I've been experiencing an odd loss of power on occasion and I'm wondering if any other diesel owners have noticed the same issue. What happens is that it feels as if the turbo is no longer providing any boost. At highway speeds with cruise control engaged the motor will randomly loose the power necessary to maintain speed. When I pull over and rev the motor, it doesn't act as if the turbo is spooling at all and the rpm range where torque is usually highest (1800-2400) sounds bogged down. If I simply shut down and restart, the problem disappears. No check engine light and no discernible pattern to the failure. I drive almost all interstate @ 65mph+ if that has any bearing. The turbo is a variable-geometry, correct? I'm just hoping for a direction to point the dealer when I can get there as they seem limited in their ability to provide even routine maintenance. Thanks in advance for any shared experience or technical assistance,
Jesse

teamfraser
01-21-2008, 06:31 PM
i just lost my turbo hose connection on the freeway, lost power, van drove like sh_t, called roadside, towed it to dealer. they fixed hose at dealer, power is back van is fine.

if its the same thing as mine (happened last thursday with 2496 miles on speedo)

you will hear load wind/rushing sound from area around/under drivers wheel well.

i knew what it was as soon as it happened.

van was under full load and then some, must be a crap hose connector they put on.

hope its an easy fix for you

BRANCALEONE
01-22-2008, 05:35 AM
Hello ! Everybody ....I' m new to the forum.
I will say the problem you encounter is related to EGR valve, it will happen again without warning, so be very careful if you are crusing down the freeway.
Please forgive my English, it will not be always perfect.
I love this forum and I love my Sprinter.
Mauro:bounce:

sikwan
01-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Welcome Mauro! :clapping:

blakej59
01-23-2008, 04:01 AM
I was about to post the same question. It happened to me twice between Las Vegas and Los Angeles last week. It's also happened a few other times. All you do is pull over, turn off the engine and restart it and it's fixed. I was thinking this must be the "Limp-Home" mode. It's like you loose 50% of your power until you re-start it. It doesn't happen enough to be a major problem but it's been an inconvenience when you need to exit, then turn around somewhere and re-enter the freeway.

Jim

robsmoke
01-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I have the same problem. It usually occurs after climbing a hill and then coasting down or at cruising speed. I do not get a "check engine" light and the problem will correct if I shut off and then turn the engine back on. I have a generic scan tool and it states a trouble code dealing with the EGR valve. I have the same problem with my 2004.

CandyWagon
01-27-2008, 05:23 AM
You need to have your EGR system cleaned at the dealership. Mine has the same problem. Had the system cleaned and I'm waiting on a replacement EGR cooler which is on national backorder. The cleaning fixed the problem for a bit but I'm starting to have the same problems again. My problems include the turbo shutting down, some type of shifting problem during stop and go traffic and loss of fuel economy. I was told that the cause to the problem was from letting my van idle for to long without moving. The diesel doesnt burn hot enough and it causes some type of soot inside the EGR system which begins to cause our problems. So the remedy to this is to buy and idle control if you let your van idle for long periods of time. So this is what I have figured out so far. If someone else has more info lets hear it. This seems to be a big problem.

blakej59
01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I can't say it isn't the EGR but I've never idled my van. It's only seen freeway driving. The loss of power first happened at about 5000 miles. I'm now at 10,000 miles and it's happened 3 more times in the past 3,000 miles for a total of 4 times that I know of.

Does anyone know anything about limp-home mode? Maybe this is what's happening.

Jim

dougwright
01-29-2008, 07:23 PM
This sounds very familiar. Only difference is my power problems usually show up when starting from cold. Stopping and restarting fixes it.

My van is in the shop right now for this problem along with other issues and of course they have no idea what's causing it.

-Doug

DaveCo
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm taking mine in this morning with the same problem. I was just in the shop for an ocasional small "miss" after slowing to turn or traffic slow down and the miss would occure after regaining speed. now I've got this loss of power thing happening along with "missing" with no ryhme or reason. I do most of my driving in town with ocasional freeway use but no trips out of town. But the only extended idling I experience is pulling over to answer or use the phone because can't get the parrot hands-free unit to work with the three verizon phones I've tried! I've learned the hard way the bluetooth technology in in no way a "universal" wireless language. It seems to be as varied as each individual piece of hard ware you try to match up. Sorry for the slight hijack/rant of this thread. I'll post my results from my visit to the freightliner dealership. Dave

DaveCo
01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Well the problem is indeed the egr/cooler valve. They are on backorder and the procedure was at this time to remove, clean, and re-install till the problem is rectified by an upgrade of some sort. The tech said it's a possible software problem. I'll update when I hear more.

J.C.
02-03-2008, 12:39 AM
mine did the same thing the other day.

AzteK
02-03-2008, 01:30 AM
My dads van has the same symptoms. 2 weeks ago it did that 12 times in one day. Dealership told him also it was the egr valve. His part is soposedly in and going under the knife monday. Hes been waiting for the right parts for over 2 months. The dealership is constantly ordering the wrong stuff for his van. So, if I remember to post an update after his van gets fixed (if they actually got the right parts) then ill post an update. Though last few days, he hasnt been having any problems. And with my mind being a sive, you may not see me mainly cause I forgot what I was to do!

ootbclitw
02-03-2008, 01:51 AM
mine was smoking and a major lose of power which doesn't sound like what yours is doing-mine is 03 Freightliner- dealer changed reasonator and looked at EGR or diagnosed it as not the problem this was at 120,000mi if not the answer you were looking for something to be aware of at over 100,000mi.

CandyWagon
02-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Just got the new EGR cooler installed and the van is running good again. The dealership took mine apart and cleaned it too while I was waiting for the part. It worked fine at first then it started to "miss" again while I was accelerating. Seems to be fine now. Sure sounds like the same thing you guys are experiencing. I was told idling for long periods of time or using a poor quality of diesel could cause the EGR valve to get fouled up. I now have 9,500 miles on it. Sure hope this fixed the problem for good. My fuel mileage also went down when I was having those other problems. Good luck gents..

Expert Marine
02-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Good info. Mine has started getting worse fuel mileage. I'll keep an eye on the things listed here.

DaveCo
02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
My mileage went down also. The tech also took a fuel sample and is taking them on each van that is having this problem. He mentioned fuel quality and or additives being a possible source of the problem and or engine managment software a possibility. The shop is working closely with the regional rep on this so hopefuly the higher ups are working on a solution. It seems the suting of the valve is only a symptom and cleaning or replacing the valve may only be a temporary solution to a problem thats orgin is elsewhere. The high sut output would seem to mean too rich a fuel mixture or incomplete combustion, but my experience of engines is based on gasoline fuel not diesel. My van has a little over 3000 miles on it. I just hope that it's not adding too much fuel for combustion which could "wash " oil from the cylinder walls and cause accelerated wear of piston, rings, and cylinder walls. Dave

DaveCo
02-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Well it's back to the shop already. Missing and loss of power symptoms back. :cry: I sure hope these guys figure this out soon. As much as I'd hate to I might have to look into the Lemon Laws as I can't afford to be taking this thing in to be cleaned every few weeks. :yell: Dave

blakej59
02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
2007 with 13,000 miles. Just got it back from the dealer. Cleaned the EGR cooler and replaced the EGR valve. Said that Mercedes is saying there isn't a problem but that Dodge is pushing for a fix. He said they're fixing this constantly. The van has been used exclusively on long-haul highway trips, never idled for any length of time.

I just hope they fix it prior to my warranty running out. And it's going to get old fast if this needs to be done every time I change the oil.

talkinghorse43
02-21-2008, 04:03 PM
2007 with 13,000 miles. Just got it back from the dealer. Cleaned the EGR cooler and replaced the EGR valve. Said that Mercedes is saying there isn't a problem but that Dodge is pushing for a fix. He said they're fixing this constantly. The van has been used exclusively on long-haul highway trips, never idled for any length of time.

I just hope they fix it prior to my warranty running out. And it's going to get old fast if this needs to be done every time I change the oil.

Don't know how difficult this might be on the '07, but I clean the EGR valve on my '02 at least every 30k miles (every other oil change). It's not so bad, once you get used to it.

Sprinter
02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Don't know how difficult this might be on the '07, but I clean the EGR valve on my '02 at least every 30k miles (every other oil change). It's not so bad, once you get used to it.

My van has over 55k miles now, never had EGR cleaned or any above issues. What could be the reason for such problems, possibly fuel quality?
I only fill at Shell or BP
the only thing I noticed is lot worse fuel consumption but that is probabbly due to winter fuel and cold weather, or could it be EGR?

talkinghorse43
02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
My van has over 55k miles now, never had EGR cleaned or any above issues. What could be the reason for such problems, possibly fuel quality?
I only fill at Shell or BP
the only thing I noticed is lot worse fuel consumption but that is probabbly due to winter fuel and cold weather, or could it be EGR?

An EGR valve that is admitting too much exhaust into the charge could negatively affect mileage. Too much exhaust could result in not enough air to burn all the fuel. Some fuel could be wasted. If yours is a T1N, you should see a smokey exhaust. But, if a NCV3, the particulate filter would catch the smoke and you wouldn't see it. Plus, more smoke caught by the particulate filter would result in more cleaning cycles and lower fuel economy.

Sprinter
02-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Can I clean it myself? easy to do on a NCV3?

gneely
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Just new to the forum , will give you my experience, may help others...I did not change my fuel filter for 50,000 miles [ don't give me any grief] .Was on a trip in my 2005 sprinter and with Cruise control on going up a slight hill van would lose power , was worried , pulled to side of road , rebooted,[turn key off, remove key, restart] everything ok....This was happening every 25 or 30 miles...Twice the van quit all together... Called Dodge help line , they gave me the nearest dealer [ 200 miles away ] I called ahead , they got me right in , diagnosed problem , dirty fuel filter....Do any of you know , is it difficult to change your own fuel filter?... Hope this helps someone... Gary

sikwan
02-24-2008, 12:15 AM
On the question of what an NCV3 is...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472&highlight=sprinter-wiki

Just new to the forum , will give you my experience, may help others...I did not change my fuel filter for 50,000 miles [ don't give me any grief] .Was on a trip in my 2005 sprinter and with Cruise control on going up a slight hill van would lose power , was worried , pulled to side of road , rebooted,[turn key off, remove key, restart] everything ok....This was happening every 25 or 30 miles...Twice the van quit all together... Called Dodge help line , they gave me the nearest dealer [ 200 miles away ] I called ahead , they got me right in , diagnosed problem , dirty fuel filter....Do any of you know , is it difficult to change your own fuel filter?... Hope this helps someone... Gary

Since you have a T1N, Fuel filter change is here and it's easy...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2318

gneely
02-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks sikwan for the fuel filter info.. How do I put a picture on my posts... I was able to get one on my profile but am missing something somewhere...

sikwan
02-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Thanks sikwan for the fuel filter info.. How do I put a picture on my posts... I was able to get one on my profile but am missing something somewhere...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467