PDA

View Full Version : Failed Turbo, Dipstick blowby, CCV filter?

caspervan
03-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Hello, I have a 2500 2.7L sprinter, rebuild engine with less than 10KMi. I have just ruined my 3rd turbo and just realized that I have severe dipstick blowby (intermittent). I saw a comment in previous threads that suggested changing the CCV filter. I can not find any info on this. Where is the CCV/filter located?
Tks

autostaretx
03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
What model year is your Sprinter/engine?
There may be a difference between the OM612 (2001-2002) and OM647 (2003-2006) engines in this area.

Here's the 2004's service manual's locator diagram for the CCV breather (item 5), as viewed from front of engine:

Not clearly shown is that both the lump with the locator arrow and the lump closer to you are parts of the complex breather shape. The Sprinter also has a heater located further down the breather pipe just before it enters the turbocharger intake hose..

Download the 2003 and/or 2006 service manual from: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
CCV maintenance is covered at the start of the "Emissions Control" chapter (chap 25 in 2004).

--dick

talkinghorse43
03-14-2013, 08:51 PM
OM612 & OM647 engines are different in this area. However, if your dipstick is being blown out, or oil is being blown out around the dipstick, then you most likely have excessive blowby. I don't remember anyone with this symptom that didn't also have severe engine damage requiring a rebuild/replace. Hopefully not in your case and you're the first.

Aqua Puttana
03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
What they said, +

Rebuilt engine? There is a small orifice in the turbo bearing oil supply system which if it were to be plugged could cause turbo bearing failures. Overall low system oil pressure might do the same thing. (The NAFTA Sprinter engines do NOT include any OEM oil monitoring for engine oil pressure.) That is IF you truly had turbo failures. The Garrett turbos are generally very reliable. I'm convinced that many turbos are blamed for engine operation problems and are replaced only to find that the turbo replacement did not correct the problems.

As was said, pressure blowing out of the dipstick is generally not a good sign.

All the above is information, not intended as a diagnosis. Good luck vic

sailquik
03-14-2013, 11:45 PM
caspervan,
Ruined your 3rd turbo how?
Did you try to take the turbo apart or did a shop/dealer do it for you and suggested that the turbocharger (s) were "blown"/bad.
Could be that they aren't getting the necessary oil to the bearings, and this could be due to an incorrect gasket somewhere that is
preventing the oil from getting through to the turbocharger.
Try a search on some recent threads that Dr. A posted regarding diagnosing piston/ring/valve issues using compressed air injected through
the injector holes.
If the issue is a valve, you will hear it in the intake or exhaust manifold.
If the issue is rings, then you will hear the air escaping down into the crankcase.
If you've cracked/damaged/holed a piston it will also escape into the crankcase, but it
will be pretty much one cylinder only.
Roger

caspervan
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Tks for the feedback all of you. Will download the Manual and check on CCV maintenance.
As per Doctor A's suggestion, I may replace the CCV Oil Separator (Costly at $411 list)
I will also look up hte Compressed air tests, although with less than 10K Mi on my rebuild, I hope to exclude rings and valves.
For the record this is a 2005 therefore as per Wiki it should be a 647 engine

caspervan
03-17-2013, 03:16 AM
I removed the CCV filter assembly under the plastic engine cover and tried to clean the sponge filter, it was not very dirty
Does anyone know how I can get top the other filters?
Can I pry open the top os the assembly?
It looks like a lid to another filter compartment
Tks

tr4dude
03-17-2013, 03:24 AM
i have cleaned these filters in diesel fuel and blown out with compressed air a few times on high mileage motors when the dipstic is spitting out oil and it has prolonged the life of a good running motor, if regular automotive dino oil has been used it does create sludge and will clog the filter.

tr4dude
03-17-2013, 03:27 AM
the other compartment is empty and the front one is a silicone type valve, you need to take the sponge part off and clean the yarn part in solvent and blow it out with compressed air.

Jim42
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Hello! I'm just asked this question other day.You can check this post:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25117
May be it will give you any ideas.

caspervan
03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
OK, I cleaned the filter, was not very dirty, and put everything back together
The problem seems to be less, but has not gone away
If I pull the dipstick while idling, I see slowly bubbles making their way up, and eventually drops spurt out.
Any other suggestions anyone, or should I just keep running?
Tks

talkinghorse43
03-17-2013, 06:02 PM
So, it seems you have excessive blowby which would be caused by some fault (scored cylinder wall(s), cracked piston, etc.) - maybe one of your turbo failures put trash in the intake system which damaged the engine? To be sure however, I would disconnect the breather tube at the top of the engine (plug that tube so nothing can be ingested by the turbo) and test again at idle with the dipstick removed to see if the tube to the turbo might be obstructed.

caspervan
03-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Tks Jim, I took the filter out this morning, and things improved a bit after that, but still significant blow-by via the dipstick
Cas

caspervan
03-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Hello TR4DUDE, i pulled the breather hose as you suggested, but there was no improvement....
I suppose a compression test is next
Cas

tr4dude
03-18-2013, 08:55 AM
I had one that this did not help, if your engine is running decent as the one i rebuilt it had 400k on it and 3 valvesprings had callapsed and damaged the valve stem seals, a compression test will not always lead you to the culprit of the problem. but i can say if the blowby is bad enough it can not hurt to test it. make sure you clean the engine very good before you pull the glow plug or injectors. Just thought for a moment and pull the intake hose off of the turbo and make sure it is spinning at idle. pull the intake off of the turbo and make sure it is spinning at an idle make sure there is no debris in the area for it to suck it in that would damage it.

WAYNERODD
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
If I pull the dipstick while idling, I see slowly bubbles making their way up, and eventually drops spurt out.
Any other suggestions anyone, or should I just keep running?
Tks

Your engine has internal damage. This problem will only get worse.

If you keep running you have to ask where will you be when your engine stops? How much will it cost to get it towed?