PDA

View Full Version : Poor AM Radio reception

blakej59
01-21-2008, 02:44 PM
2007 Sound 20. My Radio has poor radio reception, expecially the AM Band. It's the worst reception I think I've ever had on any car radio. Do you other Sprinter owners experience similar?

Jim

sikwan
01-21-2008, 03:31 PM
The powered antenna may have lost power. How is the FM side? The AM side seem to be more sensitive to this especially driving underneath overpasses.

blakej59
01-23-2008, 03:20 AM
FM is also week but AM is super week. Even strong stations are not very good but are listenable if you're within close range. It's been this way since new (about 3 months old).

Jim

david_42
01-23-2008, 03:51 PM
My reception is so bad, I never use the radio. Absolutely nothing wrong with the system, according to Dodge.

sikwan
01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Try this...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1874&highlight=antenna

kingdavid1960
10-23-2011, 03:55 AM
I have exactly the same problems. First, I did get rid of the factory radio. It was too complex for me and I didn't like the whole set up anyway. Exchanged it with a Sony. Nothing fancy just around $100.00. Had it for several years but mostly listen to my iPod since reception is really bad and I don't care about today's country and music much anyway.

Now I put in Pioneer with built in HD it with hopes that digital signals are also better reception. WRONG! Guys at Best Buy told me there's really nothing that you can do. Then, how come that I can listen to all my favorite station in my Saturn Ion or any other car I ever had before? Even better than on a stationary radio.

showkey
10-23-2011, 05:39 PM
My 2008 Class C (Dodge) had a very loose antenna connection at the back of the radio. Poor AM RECEPTION AND severe CRACKLING OVER BUMPS.
Spreading the connector at the radio for a tighter fit was the fix.

Quick test is get another antenna and plug it in to see if reception changes.
If the radio unit has scan check the number of stations found with each antenna.
Removing the radio is not too tough.

Many conversions add antenna leads and masts that are marginal and are known problems for AM reception. Grounding of the mast body connection and coaxial cable that has been shorted are also places to look.