PDA

View Full Version : engine dying and limping mode

Acy
03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
We have 06 Dodge Sprinter. We have spent thousands of dollars to fix the issue and for while seems like it's gone and it's back again. We have taken van to dealer and he has changed and replaced ton of things. The van would be driving alone fine on freeway speed then it starts slowing down to crawl and we have to pull over and wait till it will restart. Hubby has noticed today that when the temp reaches 180 it dies down. The dealer has replaced fuel filter, fuel pump twice, several injectors, some fuel fittings to replace and repair leaks. It didn't happen when we drove it in Winter. It may be showing up when then weather is getting warm/hot. Really don't want to take it to dealer again for just guess work. If any one has any idea pls let us know. Thanks

gottahavabenz
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
You have come to the right place, there are lots and lots of years of experience here. Where are you located?

Acy
03-14-2013, 10:33 AM
in Utah

jb21cri
03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
you might want to look at your turbo linkage.make sure its moving freely.easy enough to see from under the van.jb.

Acy
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
hubby told me that it starts to stall van would be fine going at freeway speed then when he is getting off the exit or has to stop due to traffic or what not all the sudden it will start to stall.. is there a diagram I can find to make sure we are looking at right part under the van?

Acy
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
also something about limpage home mode?

Blue4
03-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Our '06 sprinter has done same thing. I quit going to Dodge dealers, since my experience has been they don't know anything and really don't care about Sprinters anymore since Mercedes took over. When the on-board computer detects a malfunction, it puts the engine in the "limp mode". I had it twice and both times corrected it by replacing resonator on the turbocharger. Newer resonators are now available which don't fail. Take it to a Mercedes dealer...pricey...but they know.

Acy
03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
we did take it to the best dealer there is suppose to be who works on Sprinters in whole Salt Lake. They kept having us change this and that ect. Kept telling us that this thing went bad or that went bad after each time we took it in to get it replaced. Not sure if resonator was replaced will check with hubby. Hubby says it was not replaced. Is there a test to see if resonator is the problem?

jmoller99
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Knowing what your boost pressure is would help a lot. If you had either a Scanguage II or UltraGuage EM (plug into the ODBII port by the drivers left knee on NAFTA Sprinters), you can measure that plus the MAP pressure is while you are driving - I do this.

There are many places where you could have an air leak in the turbo system - the turbo hoses, the intercooler and turbo resonator all come to mind. There are sensors that could also contribute (or even a flaky EGR valve).

I agree that many dealers are not really all that knowledgeable about Sprinters. Randomly changing parts is an expensive way to fix any problem on any vehicle.

There is no reason that you can't get the issue fixed. What you described can be many things, but air leak in the turbo air lines between the air filter and the engine intake seem to be the most common. I bought an UltraGuage EM to monitor my turbo operations in real time - That may be the next thing you want to do.

Aqua Puttana
03-14-2013, 02:38 PM
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. 51147

I read your post and didn't really know how to respond. Nothing jumps out for me. Even after some pondering, I got nothin'. That doesn't mean much of anything as it happens all the time though. :rolleyes:

... We have taken van to dealer and he has changed and replaced ton of things.
I know it will take some effort on your part, but a list of "the ton of things" might help give some direction. Maybe scan the invoices and post them as jpg or pdf files? Blank out any personal info using Microsoft Paint or another photo editor. Any DTC Diagnostic Trouble Code history that you may have would also be helpful. Especially those from a dealership scan tool.

The van would be driving alone fine on freeway speed then it starts slowing down to crawl and we have to pull over and wait till it will restart. Hubby has noticed today that when the temp reaches 180 it dies down. The dealer has replaced fuel filter, fuel pump twice, several injectors, some fuel fittings to replace and repair leaks. It didn't happen when we drove it in Winter. It may be showing up when then weather is getting warm/hot. Really don't want to take it to dealer again for just guess work.
On the surface it sounds like it could be a temperature sensitive component like a sensor, or possibly a module. Many times sensors going bad will become temperature sensitive. Until they actually fail "enough" they may not throw a code.

If the computer was putting you into LHM Limp Home Mode and disabling the turbo operation then you would experience a loss of power, but you should not slow down to a crawl.

If any one has any idea pls let us know. Thanks
If the condition becomes reliably repeatable as the ambient temperatures rise, you might suggest that a tech connect a DRBIII or other dealership scan tool and ride along to check live data. That may reveal something.

Please post any invoice information that you have to see if that helps us give you a direction. Sorry I can't offer more. Good luck. vic

david_42
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
A Scanguage plugs into the data jack under the steering wheel. They cost about $150 and let you monitor many functions real-time as well as reading error codes. I know from personal experience that error codes can disappear when you shut the engine off. Sounds like it would be cost-effective for you to buy one.

Or if you are up for a field trip:bounce:, there is an excellent independent in the Portland, OR area.

Acy
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
. The dealer has replaced fuel filter, fuel pump twice, several injectors, some fuel fittings to replace and repair leaks.

We have replaced above parts off and on for 3 to 6 months ago. The car used to belong to the company my husband worked for so he invoices were turn in to his boss. We bought out the part of business that included Sprinter. Now it's ours or till we pay off the loan anyway. The things we listed were replaced are per my husband's memory. I have never been in the van as the problem happens. I just heard it. I guess I should correct my self after talking over with hubby as far as crawl.... It gets slow not crawl van will go about 30 to 45 mph. The engine lights come on. The problem resurfaced again yesterday after no problem for over 3 months. Yesterday the temperature was 70. I don't know if that has anything to do with any problem.

autostaretx
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
is there a diagram I can find to make sure we are looking at right part under the van?
You can download the entire 2006 Service Manual from here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

...1200 pages of diagnostic and "right part" information...

The stalling when you slow down is a puzzle.
The Boost issue people speak of normally starts to show up when you "overload" the engine (such as trying to pass on an uphill at 70 mph) if a faulty part is allowing a leak at high intake air pressures. That causes the engine computer (ECU) to stop trying to use the turbo, which causes many "lack of power, lack of acceleration" symptoms until you turn off the engine for a minute. But it shouldn't cause a complete stall (unless the leak isn't re-sealing at normal pressures).

IF it is such a leak, the usual culprits are the Turbo Resonator (a $30 part that plugs into the turbo)
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-904-303-Turbo-Vibration-Dampener/dp/B002E323DS/
, or the hoses that take the turbo-compressed air to the intercooler (on the radiator) and then to the aluminum intake manifold (between the top of the engine and the battery).

good luck
--dick

Acy
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
thank you David for your info. As we are self employed hard to take filed trips.

Acy
03-16-2013, 03:23 PM
got a code reader and it is putting out 2 codes. One is p088 and p0191. Thanks

Aqua Puttana
03-16-2013, 04:03 PM
got a code reader and it is putting out 2 codes. One is p088 and p0191. Thanks
The codes are generally 4 digits. I assume the first one is incomplete.

P0191 Fuel Rail Press Sensor Circuit Range/Perf

Information from generic scan tools is sometimes incomplete. The scan tool will pole :doh::bash: poll the ECM and spit out the closest code which it can match.

DTC Light Trouble Code DRB OBD List Info
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5369

Sorry I can't offer more. vic

oregonjim
03-17-2013, 03:15 PM
just bought 06 sprinter with similar problems. previous owner ran biodiesel and had problems. drained tank, replaced fuel pump and various parts but not injectors. any help appreciated.

oregon jim

icarus
03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
My humble suggestion is find a better calibre of mechanic! One who, at the very least has proper amb diagnostic scan tools! All else is simply chasing dimes with dollars!

Icarus

Pfmilligan
08-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Having the same problem here. My OBD gives me a P0191 error code. Any Iím one of the poorer of the Sprinter owners so I gotta start cheap and work my way up from there.