PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations??

skill3
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
I have a 2006 118" SHC. I use it mainly around town for daily transportation. It gets loaded but not very heavy. With the 225x70x15C Continental Vanco tires it rides "ROUGH". I'm thinking about going to a normal truck tire. Has anyone done this and if so, what do you recommend?

sailquik
03-12-2013, 01:02 AM
What air pressure are you running in your tires?
IMHO the best tires you can put on a Sprinter are the Michelin LTX MS2.
Much better ride and traction than the Conti Vanco 4 Seasons.
Tire Rack has them for $158.00 each.
Since you have the baby Sprinter, and are not running loaded at all heavy,
you can back off on the tire pressures on recommended on the door pilllar and
seat box.
If you want the real answer, take your Sprinter to a moving company or truck stop scale and
weigh the two axles.
That will give you a good starting point about how much you can lower the max. recommended pressures
listed on the door jamb/seat box.

vanven
03-12-2013, 01:28 AM
I have a 2006 118" SHC. I use it mainly around town for daily transportation. It gets loaded but not very heavy. With the 225x70x15C Continental Vanco tires it rides "ROUGH". I'm thinking about going to a normal truck tire. Has anyone done this and if so, what do you recommend?

My 03 118" has a comfort rating of F-34, R-33. This is right out of the Freightliner book. My wife won't ride with me at normal pressure. Make sure you use correct "D" rated tires.

RedDino
03-12-2013, 03:15 AM
You may also want to look into size 235/75 15. I had them on a 2002 118" and liked them both for looks and ride.
The speedometer will show the correct speed. They didn't rub anywhere.

NelsonSprinter
03-12-2013, 03:38 AM
What do you mean by 'Normal Truck Tires' ? C ?
C load tires are not recommended for Sprinters, but if you never have much weight in your light shorty, and you are not subject to DOT/Safety inspections you could get away with it as you won't exceed the weight limit. Your police or insurance will not like it if you're in an accident either. C's will make the ride smoother, so will lowering your pressures. Pirelli makes LT235/75R15-D , but they are not long wearing.
Michelin LTX MS2 are long wearing but do not make them in 15" D.

sailquik
03-12-2013, 04:01 AM
Guys,
The "C" in the Continental Vanco 225/75R15 "C" is NOT Load Range "C"
The "C" after the number in the European system is for Commercial....NOT load range!!!!
He needs to adhere to the load range rating on the door pillar sticker and the sticker on the side of the seat box which is I believe Load Range "D".
Roger

shortshort
03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
You may also want to look into size 235/75 15. I had them on a 2002 118" and liked them both for looks and ride.
The speedometer will show the correct speed. They didn't rub anywhere.

This.

Baby_Bluega!
10-23-2014, 04:12 PM
My 2005 118" WB is in need of tires BAD! So I'm listening... What about BFG M+S rated tire or a light truck tire? I don't load anything other than Kids and camping gear in it. I understand the "C" rated tires are 8 or 10 ply for Commercial use primarily. I'd like something with better traction in wet weather w/o compromising Fuel Economy. Too many questions?

alan_f
10-23-2014, 04:30 PM
My 2005 118" WB is in need of tires BAD! So I'm listening... What about BFG M+S rated tire or a light truck tire? I don't load anything other than Kids and camping gear in it. I understand the "C" rated tires are 8 or 10 ply for Commercial use primarily. I'd like something with better traction in wet weather w/o compromising Fuel Economy. Too many questions?

I've been very happy with the Michelin LTX M/S2s we put on about a year ago on our 2006 Roadtrek RS Adventurous. These replaced some commercial Michelins (XPS) that were oversized. In comparison, the M/S 2s dropped a little in highway mileage (possibly due to the size change), but ride quality, noise and snow performance were much improved. In my case, I needed the highest load rating I could get -- loaded for a trip, we're at 8200 pounds out of our 8550 GVW and empty is still way over 7000 pounds, so that's a little different than your situation.

Some people have complained about the Michelin LTX M/S2s performing poorly in the snow, but I think they may have been comparing them to full-time snow tires. I also think the weight of my van helps traction, so you may need sand bags in the rear.

I would have bought a set for my car if they made a passenger-car version (I bought a set of Michelin Premier A/S for my car instead.)

Hope this helps,
Alan

derekhski
10-23-2014, 05:47 PM

Hey, Bluega I now own, Reddino's, little 118" I have upgraded to 16" wheels, but if I had not, I would try these Nokian Rotivva AT. They are "E" rated and meet you interest in mixed terrain....

I had them quoted at a local Portland OR tire shop/chain Tire factory.... like $160 each installed....

Nokian Rotiiva AT

Tire Size: LT235/75R15
Part Number: T428439
Service Description: 116S
Tread Life Warranty:
Sidewall: BW
Load Range: E (10 Ply)
- See more at: http://simpletire.com/nokian-lt235-75r15-t428439-tires#sthash.g22EHLs2.dpuf

NelsonSprinter
10-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Pirelli Scorpion AT are great in wet, snow and dry, and dirt roads , made in LT235/75R15D, other options also listed here
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25645&highlight=inch+tire

ECU
10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
I have the Michelin M&S tires. Running pressure under 40 feels like I'm running flat.
I don't like all the 'truck' tires with tread that looks like it belongs on a 4x4. I'm thinking worse gas mileage.

surlyoldbill
10-24-2014, 12:25 AM
I think the gold standard is the LTX M&S2.
There are cheaper tires, and there may be tires that are better traction OR better mpg OR better ride, but the best combination of the 3 seems to be the LTX M&S2. If you can get them for less than $200 each installed, that's the way to go. I spent $720.

I've had the stock LTX, Toyo H/T, Firestone Transforce. The stock LTX barely made it to 60k, the Toyo's would have made 100k, and the Transforceonly lasted 65k. Even the tire dealer where I bought my new set said that the LTX M&S2 is the best tire they have.

My thoughts on tires are more pragmatic than most. A lot of people are concerned about the appearance of their tires; they want them to appear to be ready for off-road action and rock crawling, or they want them to appear to be ready for stock car races. In the real world, a Sprinter van isn't going to win any off-road races or do any rock crawling, and it's not going to be in any stock car races. There are MANY vehicles better suited for these purposes. Giant knobby tires or low profile tires on a Sprinter are for vanity or the result of foolishness. I've navigated many jeep trails with my highway tread tires, just not as fast as some lifted monster truck with thou$ands in aftermarket "offroad" accessories. Skill is more important than equipment.

stevenking
10-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Try Bridgestone 10 ply load range E got 66000 out of them at Costco

Cole
10-24-2014, 02:06 PM
A lot of people are concerned about the appearance of their tires; they want them to appear to be ready for off-road action and rock crawling, or they want them to appear to be ready for stock car races. In the real world, a Sprinter van isn't going to win any off-road races or do any rock crawling, There are MANY vehicles better suited for these purposes. Giant knobby tires on a Sprinter are for vanity or the result of foolishness. I've navigated many jeep trails with my highway tread tires, just not as fast as some lifted monster truck with thou$ands in aftermarket "offroad" accessories. Skill is more important than equipment.

Just because YOU haven't needed the extra durability and traction in YOUR limited off highway use doesn't meant that other people are just doing it for looks:lol:

I suppose if all you ever drive is hard pack dry dessert then that would be your perception.:thumbdown:

I've been roaming around the back roads the USA for 40 years and there are many places with sharp rocks that will shred a normal tire sidewall with even light contact. Or soft, wet, snowy soil conditions that require more agressive tread. :thumbup:

Many people don't care at all what their tires look like:thumbup: But they want to take their Sprinter to places you apparently don't go!:thumbup:

I suppose next you will tell us how the new 4x4 Sprinter is just for looks too:lol:

surlyoldbill
10-24-2014, 03:03 PM
...I said I was pragmatic, I didn't say I was pragmatic for YOU...:laughing:

There is a time and a place for oversize or blocky tread tires, but for myself and most Sprinter drivers, that is less than 1%, or less than 0.1% of the miles we drive. If I frequented spots that required such tires in order to avoid getting stuck, I would have a set...on a spare set of rims for those trips. Some of my secret spots require fording streams, getting a running start and crossing deep sand, and negotiating the knife-sharp granite in the Sierra and even more damaging rock used to gravel the roads to Bluff Creek (someone ALWAYS gets a shredded tire when I take people up there...). Even though I only go to these places 10-20 times a year, I haven't found more than the momentary desire for more off-roady tires. The sandy stretches always inspire that desire...:frown:

Cole, I think you are the best judge of what tires you need, and I suspect you DO need what you use. I wish I could get out to spots like that more often.

ECU
10-24-2014, 03:28 PM
I only was talking of my personal preference for tires. If you need them, that is fine for you. My last truck was a 4x4 with cool tires.
The first 15000 miles were done almost all 4 wheel drive needing such tires. The rest of the 100k it survived were 90% street use. The 4x4 was only used while at the dump in the mud.
Now the dump uses a big warehouse to dump things on concrete. So I don't need such.
YMMV

surlyoldbill
10-24-2014, 11:35 PM
I should boil down my cynicism and just say that the LTX M&S2 is probably the best all-around tire I know of, it's good at most of the things we buy tires for, but probably not the best at any of them.

Cole, I'm planning on getting a chrome plastic sticker thing that says "4X4" and putting it on my van so the cool kids will like me. While I'm at it, I'll get one that says "V8" for the same purpose, and to confuse those in the know.:lol:
Cynicism and parody aside, I think if I moved back to the Rockies or Central Oregon, I'd look at getting a 4x4 Sprinter (or Transit when they come available), because I can't justify having a 4x4 just for using when it's icy. Better to have one vehicle that does everything rather than a fleet of specialty cars. But I reserve the right to poke fun of people who buy a 4X4 and put low profile tires on it and never take it off the pavement. Besides, gas will only be $3.00/gallon by Spring.

NelsonSprinter
10-25-2014, 02:04 AM
I think the gold standard is the LTX M&S2.

It is irrelevant when they don't make it in the OP's 15" size and load

surlyoldbill
10-25-2014, 02:11 AM
:doh:

HowardB
10-26-2014, 10:55 PM
So what happens when you are 50 miles in, off the main highway going through through mud ditches, sandy areas and everywhere else, and your Sprinter goes into LHM.

Is there some type of wrecker service that can tow a sprinter 50 miles though muck, streams, quicksand, hill climbs and goat paths?

From what Im reading here its hard enough to get Sprinters repaired at the dealer, so I would not be expecting any grand repair miracles out in the boon docks.

derekhski
10-27-2014, 05:20 PM
I think we are getting a little off topic..... It was a simply tire recommendation request?

HowardB
10-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Good thing you caught it, this might have gotten interesting.

Aqua Puttana
10-27-2014, 08:13 PM
.... It was simply a tire engine oil... oil change interval... fuel additive... serpentine belt tensioner... wiper blade... brake rotor... DIY seat installation... recommendation request?
Some topics here are never simple. :bounce:

:cheers: vic