PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a swivel seat?

BESLC
01-20-2008, 09:20 PM
I am confined to a wheelchair and will soon be ordering a 2008 van. I need to set the drivers seat up to accommodate transfer from my wheelchair for driving.

Are any of you using a swivel drivers seat? If so does it change the seat in any negative way? Does the swivel allow you to lock the seat at any point? If possible I need to lock the seat at 90 degrees after it swivels from the driving position, for transfer. In other words I need the drivers seat parallel to my wheelchair after I enter the van , so I can transfer.

Thank you for your time and comments, you have all been very helpful in answering my questions.

Altered Sprinter
01-21-2008, 12:17 AM
I am confined to a wheelchair and will soon be ordering a 2008 van. I need to set the drivers seat up to accommodate transfer from my wheelchair for driving.

Are any of you using a swivel drivers seat? If so does it change the seat in any negative way? Does the swivel allow you to lock the seat at any point? If possible I need to lock the seat at 90 degrees after it swivels from the driving position, for transfer. In other words I need the drivers seat parallel to my wheelchair after I enter the van , so I can transfer.

Thank you for your time and comments, you have all been very helpful in answering my questions. Braun international does the modifications you require for access to seating arrangements on the Sprinters , contact your dealer.Braun Corporation (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.braunlift.com%2F&ei=qt-TR87UGaCkgAPAvt3OBQ&usg=AFQjCNGqc1-svxuqUotKhXkbNM6IiI1BCg&sig2=H_UpZVjUBugl3jDJ87kpMg)
If there is a issue with seat base, you can order a low seat frame from Chrysler special order
Richard

5807As for the electronics opening door The fix is now done for the euro side where the sensitive sensor was an issue along with a soft touch safety rubber bumper at door level fram certified Aug 2007 with full ISO compliance.certificates:idunno:

Altered Sprinter
01-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Adding thought if non availability of an electronic door opening system is not available then automatically opening rear doors and lowering of the Sprinter can be done via Glide Rite USA if they have no information I can get it to you as the air suspension is available or alternative lowering floor systems with electronic tow in chair hitch systems ..I think the problem is finding a company that will take responsibility for installation. costing for air suspension automatic lowering floor ramps, seat modifications tow in electric chair systems minimum $17000 US dollars to 20000 depending on how far you want to go..just a guide only
Richard

BESLC
01-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Thank you for your reply Altered Sprinter. Unfortunately there are a couple of problems in your recommendations. There is no power seat base that is made for the Sprinter by Braun or Ricon. There is one company called Creative Controls that does make a powered swivel, however I have had less than happy reviews from those who have used it. On the U.S. version the electronics are under the drivers seat base, they can not be relocated.

As far as the lowered seat base and OEM swivel, neither are available for order on the U.S Sprinter. The swivel seat will be offered only to RV manufactures in the rear future. I can buy a manual swivel, however I would like to know how the seat operates and if there are any issues.

The power side door will be available for order OEM very soon. It is now listed on the Dodge site under the available options for $595.00, however you can not order it just yet.

Thanks again for your feedback. Any others with any info please comment.

unimog
01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Suggest you contact Accessible Vans and Mobility for advice. Talk to Dale Marsh 610 837 0707. Also see website AVMVANS.com

forkin
02-01-2008, 05:26 AM
What lift are you going with?

unik
02-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Thank you for your reply Altered Sprinter. Unfortunately there are a couple of problems in your recommendations. There is no power seat base that is made for the Sprinter by Braun or Ricon. There is one company called Creative Controls that does make a powered swivel, however I have had less than happy reviews from those who have used it. On the U.S. version the electronics are under the drivers seat base, they can not be relocated.

As far as the lowered seat base and OEM swivel, neither are available for order on the U.S Sprinter. The swivel seat will be offered only to RV manufactures in the rear future. I can buy a manual swivel, however I would like to know how the seat operates and if there are any issues.

The power side door will be available for order OEM very soon. It is now listed on the Dodge site under the available options for $595.00, however you can not order it just yet.

Thanks again for your feedback. Any others with any info please comment.

I do use OEM swivel plate under driver seat:thumbup:
Below seat adjusted red levels, there is fixture swivel lock handle.
You lift lock-handle up then you be able to turn seat. It does not matter you are seating into seat or not.
I love to do carusel while seating in a seat. The only seat does not turns in complite cycle 360degree. Aprox it turns 200degree. Complite 180degree backwards, and about 20degree to left side if drivers door is open.

For a passenger seat I remodel RV seat-swivel.
take a look:popcorn:
:cheers:
uNik

BESLC
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
What lift are you going with?

I am looking seriously at the Ricon Clearway or Clearview lift.

Dan Holm
02-06-2008, 06:32 AM
I have this swivel.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5005767&showprevnext=1

I have yet to install the drivers side as I am looking to get the lower base. It does raise the seat enough to be concerned. The seat does not swivel easily and stays in place where you leave it. It locks into forward position with no loose feeling.

Dan

emtbvms
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Does the swivel sold in the website you reference have a lower base for the passenger side? I want to modify my 2009 Icon passenger seat only.

Thanks.

windsprinter
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I installed the swivel from EuroCampers (same as Dan Holm) on the passenger side yesterday. I does change the feel of the seat, even pumped all the way down its a little high off the floor facing forward (solid lock) but my feet hang in the air facing backwards (and no lock, its a loose swivel). Still nice for my purposes, but I'm wondering if I should go to the bother of installing the driver's side. The passenger side is a doddle, the drivers side means futzing with the handbrake mounting and cable. I wish the lower seat bases were available!

nemu
11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I have swivel seats fitted in my motor home ( and a fold down handbrake) what I am supprised at is that the airbags have been disabled because of the swivel seats !

I dont know if these are MB swivels or not

berners
11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I also have the same seat that Don posted. We like it for our purposes. I only installed the passenger as I don't need the drivers to swivel. I have not had any issue with the swivel motion. Locks solid and turns fine if the seat back is totally up and not relined.

I have the drivers still boxed if anyone is intestered in making an offer for it.

Mike

kmessinger
11-27-2008, 05:35 PM
The lower seat base information is here (http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/2008/10/23/lowering-the-navigators-seat/). The drop is from 10" to 7". We have a swivel seat on top of this and on the standard riser on the driver's side.

Air bags are not affected as seats are supposed to be full front before the vehicle is driven.

Regards,

Keith