PDA

View Full Version : Wiper blade chatter

skill3
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
I was having trouble with my drivers side wiper chattering on the return swing. I bought new ANCO blades and I'm having the same problem. I've cleaned my windshield the best that I could. Does anyone have any suggestions? The chatter is sitting still or driving. Thanks!

Andyandyandy
03-10-2013, 11:13 PM
One of mine does this a bit. I think the arm might be twisted or bent a bit as the wiper blade doesn't sit quite perpendicular to the glass. I should try straightening it out sometime. Also, with long blades like these, you want something that can maintain even pressure over the full length. Maybe someone could suggest a good blade to try.

nathanhdunn
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
It'll be the angle, I've seen this on many types of vehicle. I normally grab 2 big shifters and twist the arm a little. (the second shifter is so you don't put force on the pivot mount). however on my new-to-me sprinter the arm was too strong, I had to bend the blade mount cage a little. Bend it little by little until the blade flops to the trailing position on both the up and down stroke.

boxcar
03-11-2013, 12:13 AM
.... Was just thinking about this these past few weeks. No brand of blade tried yet... not Trico Force or ANCO or even Bosch (the latest instalment) is resolving those pesky, back-sweeping wiper chatters, especially on the driver's side. Have thought about attempting to twist the wiper arm a tad though I'm rather like a bull in a china shop, over-torquing stuff & it breaks too often. Maybe I'll get braver soon. The novelty has worn off long ago. Gettin' 'spensive as well.

.... Maybe "Blade" can suggest a blade http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-016.gif if'ins he can dig himself out of the Danger Zone long enough, heh!

dickknapp
03-11-2013, 04:06 AM
Have seen several folks complain of the same. Mine chattered and after reading of other's success here, I used 2 big crescent wrenches to twist the arm such that the wiper went to 90 degrees with the windshield. No more problem.

Altered Sprinter
03-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Considering the fact there are two sizes for each side, no chattering can occur if blades are in perfect to good condition, however if older the rubber has gone hard, perished, or even as stiff as a rock even:rolleyes: then they will chatter to each other like two birds in harmony,Change them...... "PS it helps if the screen is wet".:tongue:

boxcar
03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Considering the fact there are two sizes for each side, no chattering can occur if blades are in perfect to good condition...

.... Respectfully, friend, they can & do in my experiences from the outset, thrice now. Only when a copious amount of water is on my windshield will they not do as described, even when brand-spankin' new. A tad frustrating, when allowed to be http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-027.gif though this is my problem... at least, one of several. Am hereby inspired from others posting here to attempt a slight rebending of the arm soon in an attempt to resolve the tolerable though annoying occurances as described. Prayers appreciated. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-004.gif

Altered Sprinter
03-12-2013, 03:58 AM
New :hmmm: Poorly assembled, or uneven glass :idunno: Now there is glass and there is glass different countries with different curves. or an off set screen at installation:shifty: ...Rust on one side! none on the other ?.."the mystery deepens"
Must be the weather.

Must take a trip over the mountain to Foggyville, and test them again:dripsarcasm:Is that a crack I see in the screen.:popcorn:

alan_f
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I recently went through 3 different designs of wiper blades: Bosch, Napa AccuFit and Napa ExactFit. The first two missed large portions of the windshield entirely so I exchanged them, but all of them chattered on the return. I was thinking the windshield had some kind of residue on it like Rain-X or wax that was causing it, but thinking about it now, that would cause them to chatter both directions.

I think I'll try the arm twist as I don't think the blades are flipping correctly -- question is, where do you try to twist them? I suppose the longer section of the arm you try to twist, the easier it'll be? One wrench down by the pivot and one up near the end?

-Alan

dickknapp
03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Don't remember. I just tried to do it as gently and low-impact as I could.
Dick

shortshort
03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Don't mean to twist your arm, but that is exactly the issue you need to address. Put the wrenches about 3" apart on the longest section. It takes some serious tweaking to get any movement, so twist...test...twist...

alan_f
03-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Worked like a charm -- I just found two spots where I could get adjustable wrenches on (no plastic bits) and twisted a bit -- no more chatter!