A kind of cable issue

Sjoberg

Sweden
Hi everybody.

I found a cable on my left a-pillar when i removed the grey plasticpanel.
There is no voltage in it and its not connected to ground and i tried with ignition on and off but there was no difference.

IMG_1869.JPG

Here it is, i hope you see it and if anyone has a clue or guess what its for, please let me know.

best regards jocke

ps, yes i could get in under the dashboard and maybe figure it out but there is not any time for that now,, :cheers:

Color? Black? I can't answer your question, but I will say that most of the wires installed by MB are wrapped into a harness. I see this is separate from the pillar harness. It probably was added by someone. That is a guess. vic

Hi everybody.

I found a cable on my left a-pillar when i removed the grey plasticpanel.
There is no voltage in it and its not connected to ground and i tried with ignition on and off but there was no difference.

View attachment 51033

Here it is, i hope you see it and if anyone has a clue or guess what its for, please let me know.

best regards jocke

ps, yes i could get in under the dashboard and maybe figure it out but there is not any time for that now,, :cheers:

Sjoberg

Sweden
Yes its black and as you say, if mercedes had put it there it would have been in the harness.
Probably something that has been there and removed before i bought the van, and with no voltage in it i think i could do the investigation another day.

best regards, jocke

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My vote would have been for the antenna for the Remote Key Entry system...
... although the wiring diagram says that's a yellow wire.

--dick

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
No wire ever left the Sprinter factory looking like that! I thought remnant from previous alarm as the pillars usually hold the infrared sensors.

Boater

No wire ever left the Sprinter factory looking like that! I thought remnant from previous alarm as the pillars usually hold the infrared sensors.
Mine has, or had wires looking pretty much like that in both A pillars from a defunct alarm with sensors mounted at the top of each pillar (trying to remember if I removed them or left them so it looks like it might be alarmed?) Mine also has an aftermarket aerial run up the drivers side.

I found partial remains of the alarm stuck to the inside of the lower dash trim to the passenger side of the centre console. MB haven't done anything fancy with the lower edge of the dash it just hangs down to look OK from the cab side, but the lower edge is like a sheet of plastic so on the hidden side it makes like sloping shelf, the alarm unit in mine is stuck onto the shelf, only one wire was plugged in and the connector was so corroded it fell apart, I left the box in place because it was well glued on, it is utterly useless now.

Eric Experience

Jockie.
It is the antenna for the central locking. If you insulate the end and try to space it away from the pillar so it is close to the plastic trim it will increase the range of you remote. Eric

... If you insulate the end and try to space it away from the pillar so it is close to the plastic trim it will increase the range of you remote. Eric
Nice to know for those who complain about the lack of range. Would running the wire up between the foam and the outer plastic trim help even more? Just a thought. vic

Sjoberg

Sweden
Thanks, i tried to follow the cable but i found funnier things to do.
I will try to move it away from the a-pillar, but you are talking about foam between the pillar and the plastic trim,, i dont have it and i think a should call the dealer and ask for the price for it, maybe i put some other kind of insulating there.

best regards jocke

Top Bottom