PDA

View Full Version : Battery light on, but seem to be charging

gabics
03-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Hi Sprinter experts,

I just had my belts replaced by a shop on my 2007 Sprinter. A drive or 2 later the battery light came on. It turns on a few seconds after the engine starts, and it stays on.

However the alternator seem to be charging while the engine is running - I have a voltmeter installed and it shows around 14V while running.

Both batteries are about 1.5 years old.

I am getting a bit nervous as we are preparing for our annual 4000km trip to Moab, UT.

Did anyone see this?
Is there anything else I should check before I take this back to the shop?

Thanks in advance.
Gabor

showkey
03-10-2013, 03:37 AM
First internet wild a** guess: battery, starter, alternator cables and wiring to fuse box look for loose, high resistance poor connections and crimps.

Check voltage at multiple locations looking for the voltage drop.

(Both pos and neg)

OrioN
03-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi Sprinter experts,

I have a voltmeter installed and it shows around 14V while running.

Where was this voltage reading taken from?

gabics
03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Voltmeter is reading at the main battery ( at the drivers foot).

gabics
03-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Drove the van for about 200k today, no issues other than the light on.
At home I took my voltmeter and started measuring voltage.

It seems like the Aux battery does not get charged, the main batter does.
I checked the Aux battery fuse (on the main battery) and it seems fine.

Is there any other electrical component between the main battery and the aux battery?

showkey
03-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Is there any other electrical component between the main battery and the aux battery?

Cables, crimps and connections many have reported problems with these items.

OrioN
03-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Cables, crimps and connections many have reported problems with these items.

Isn't there a on/off relay/isolator between the two? If it's dead, and open, then the aux. batt. isn't getting charged. :idunno:

showkey
03-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Isn't there a on/off relay/isolator between the two? If it's dead, and open, then the aux. batt. isn't getting charged. :idunno:

:idunno:Very possible........if he checking the cables etc he should find any devices and inline fuse etc..........while he is there should be checking voltage on both side of the device and the connections to said device.

autostaretx
03-11-2013, 02:08 AM
If the instrument cluster thinks the alternator isn't working, it may not assert the signal that pulls in the isolation relay.
No relay, no secondary battery charging....

--dick

gabics
03-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Took the Ship to my mechanic. He measured the voltage at the alternator: 14+Volts - no problem. However the main battery was only charging at just over 13V. The aux battery is not charged at all.
It seems like the fused harness between the battery/starter and alternator is at fault.

Getting it replaced tomorrow and will see.

OrioN
03-12-2013, 03:23 AM
Another one of the 'Classic' failures... thanks for reporting back!!

Aqua Puttana
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Took the Ship to my mechanic. He measured the voltage at the alternator: 14+Volts - no problem. However the main battery was only charging at just over 13V. The aux battery is not charged at all.
It seems like the fused harness between the battery/starter and alternator is at fault.

Getting it replaced tomorrow and will see.
I didn't jump in here because others were on it. For future reference there's some other common issues with NCV3's you might consider in this thread.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86851#post86851

Thanks for the follow-up. vic