PDA

View Full Version : Handling in Windy Conditions

MaggieJoe
03-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Hello all. To date our PW travels have occurred in mostly calm driving conditions. We are lining up summer travels and I expect at some point we will experience windy weather. Any thoughts on what I should expect under windy conditions. How bad does a PW sway? Do you feel like you are fighting the road? All comments welcome. Thanks.

Old Crows
03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Our Ventura, which is similar, does not handle badly in wind conditions. You do need to slow down to make driving in gusty conditions easier and less tiring for yourself and your passengers. Slower is also gentler on the equipment. And, if pushing into headwinds you will use less fuel.

surlyoldbill
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
My van handles better in the wind than my previous Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extracab. I think because of the weight.

bl_smith25
03-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Depends in how windy is windy. I've driven through some pretty big gusts, but you need to gauge the weather as you go. There's no swaying problem, but you do feel pushed around if the gusts are sudden or forceful. If you can't slow down or it's dangerous to continue, the best thing is to pull off and wait it out. It does get noisy in the cab when the wind is hitting one of the front corners.
If it's a steady constant wind, it's not bad, but sudden gusts can catch you by surprise. Especially going around hills or through underpasses or through mountains. You never know which way the gust will come from as it can change direction on you. The key is to just slow down as conditions dictate.

Cheers,
BL
06 Plateau TS

Fastpaddler2
03-20-2013, 03:34 AM
My 06 PW Plateau TS handles well in winds.With the MB chassis and nannies which help keep the vehicle on track, I found our unit less liable to yaw--which is the term--much less than our two previous RVs,a Traillite 22ft and a Winnebago Aspect. The Aspect with dualies was good but I find the Sprinter doesnt wander on the road and tracks well even in windy conditions. Obviously, there is a limit and even my 2011 BMW528i will be affected by a really heavy side wind!

drewivancic
03-25-2013, 01:18 AM
I have a PW 2006 Plateau and it's good in the wind generally. I agree with the previous advice-slow down and everything should be fine. The wind speed and direction are critical. I would note that my PW threw an anti-lock brake code (warning light in dash display) while driving in seriously windy conditions. Once the wind died down and the van was restarted a number of times the code went away. A Dodge Sprinter dealer told me later that this is normal and doesn't harm anything.

NYC SPRINTERS
03-25-2013, 03:08 AM
wider tires will fix this problem!!! i drive from NY to FL all the time i have wide tires no wind problems for me)))

Davydd
03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
I had a 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS 2500 Sprinter and thought it handled well in the winds. I've never heard complaints like the Pleasure-Way Excel Ford people have expressed. My 2011 Great West Van Legend 3500 dually Sprinter handles better than my former Sprinter in the wind. I've been all over West Texas this month in gusty winds of 25-35 mph and up to 50 and had no problems tracking. I would assume the Pleasure-way Plateau would handle about the same since it is the same Sprinter for the most part.