PDA

View Full Version : Removed the original bulkhead

hulagun
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
I removed my bulkhead to provide room to recline seats and for access to the back while the van is moving. Drilled out the rivets (must be bout 900 of them) and it came right out. I did not remove the front seats but I do recommend doing so, it will make the job much easier.

Proceed carefully and do the top center rivets LAST. Then get some help to tilt out the bulkhead. Mine has a glass window and it is fairly heavy/bulky for one guy.

The van cab is now noticeably noisier driving around town. More incentive to panel and attenuate sound in the cargo area. The bulkhead has to add some stiffness to the van body. I think removing it slightly improved the ride feel though.

I may try to put some bracing back in, but I think if the paneling is done properly it may add enough shear strength back in to make up for the bulkhead removal.

If anyone wants the bulkhead for free, PM me. I already posted it in the classifieds.

SprinterHelp
03-09-2013, 04:31 AM
I was interested in moving it back 6 inches, its just not enough room up front on long trips.

LuckyDawgz Jim
03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I have a reconfigured bulkhead even with the rear of the sliding door's opening, and a 2 position bench seat installed sideways against the driver's side wall... my dog loves it!

It makes the front of the 158" SHC feel like a regular van and still gives me over 9ft behind the bulkhead to the rear doors, for all my camping/RV stuff.

hulagun
03-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Most of the "it got noisier" noise turned out to be the rear doors rubbing, which caused a loud squeaking or chirping. A shot of silicone spray cured it for a couple days, but then the squeaks come back. When the squeaks are gone, the drivers cabin area is a little quieter than when the bulkhead was in place. Now I can hear a new sound which was drowned out before, a low steady droning sound that is either the rear tires, the differential and axles turning, or all 3.

Next step will be to try and permanently kill the squeaks by carefully readjusting or shimming the door strike plates to tighten the clearances up.

Here's a shot of the bulkhead I took out.