View Full Version : Best MPG using what kind of Oil, Fuel and Speed

Coast2Coast
03-07-2013, 03:21 AM
Just did 753 miles on a tank.

Average speed - 63 MPH

Oil - Liqui Moly 5w30 (blue bottle)

Fuel - Sinclair

I broke my record of 710 on last tank. :thumbup:

I also use power service (white bottle) and liqui moly diesel additives in the fuel.

david_42
03-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Not bad. I suspect the thin air helps a bit. I rarely wait until the warning light comes on, so I can't say what my maximum tank was. The most I've ever put in the tank is 24.4 gallons for 696 miles. My highest running average was 29.1 for five fill-ups and that was almost entirely at 55.

I use cruise control whenever possible. I installed my first one in 1973 and never looked back.

Glow Plug
03-07-2013, 05:32 AM
My personal best: Mobil 1 0W-40, Shell fuel, No other additives, filled up to the brim 26 gallons, average speed 63-64 mph all highway with 800 lbs in the back, yielded 750 miles on that tank = 28.8 mpg.:thumbup:

billsyeruncle
03-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Please add your Sprinters info to your signature and posts because without this info your posts do not allow apples to apples comparison and may as well reference a moped's mpg.
Best, Bill

Liandra
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Question to all on this post were you using cruise control?

northener
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
2006, 140 2500 and with new tires needed right now I'm getting 29 with no city or interstate travel. I'll be on my third set of tires next and expect millage will drop well below this. I think the cruise is heavy footed compared to mine.

117 thousand miles, no black death or glow plug issues

Paul

Ciprian
03-07-2013, 03:27 PM
My best mpg was on a run from Dallas, TX to Atlanta, GA. I got 30.73 mpg, but I suspect I had a tail wind all the way. Oil I always use is one kind or another of the 15w40 dyno oil, fuel, whatever I found the cheapest, and my speed about 60mph. I use cruise control all the time when I am not in the mountains. In the mountains I don't use it because it steps on it a lot causing lots of downshifts.
But my all time mpg average is only 26.33 mpg.

Coast2Coast
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Question to all on this post were you using cruise control?

Yes cruise is mandatory to get these kind of numbers. Also tire pressure was set to oem specifications.

Ciprian I find in the mountains if my sprinter is not loaded with more then 500lbs it climbs up and down the mountains with out cruise on most interstates. When going to steeper terrain I have to take cruise off because it over compensates.

What size sprinter do you have? Hi roof or low roof?

ktm 300
03-08-2013, 02:18 AM
My 04 speedo reads about 5% faster than actual speed. I assume its also showing 5% more miles than actually driven. Is that common to the nafta t1n 's? My 140 2500 iss giving me 24-25 mpg mostly highway. HOW ARE YOU GUYS GETTING SUCH MILEAGE? Aso is your odo mileage corrected or does it need to be?

NelsonSprinter
03-08-2013, 03:09 AM
My 04 speedo reads about 5% faster than actual speed. I assume its also showing 5% more miles than actually driven. Is that common to the nafta t1n 's? My 140 2500 iss giving me 24-25 mpg mostly highway. HOW ARE YOU GUYS GETTING SUCH MILEAGE? Aso is your odo mileage corrected or does it need to be?

The speedometer is 5% faster than actual speed on most Sprinters with original sized tires, but the odometer is 100% CORRECT. I think they did that to reduce speeding to the unknowing. No odometer adjustment is needed.

FWIW my 30MPG is for Canadian Imperial Gallon, that equals 25 US MPG, @ 55 MPH

xlman78
03-08-2013, 04:40 PM
2006 158 2500
rotella t6
michelin 55/75
55-57 mph
empty
best record jan 1st from south carolina to chi,average 29.5, fill up at the sunoco SC
in the city average 27 mpg, but i run ONLY on diesel from meijer, the best diesel EVER

Coast2Coast
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
2006 158 2500
rotella t6
michelin 55/75
55-57 mph
empty
best record jan 1st from south carolina to chi,average 29.5, fill up at the sunoco SC
in the city average 27 mpg, but i run ONLY on diesel from meijer, the best diesel EVER

Is 75 psi on the rear tires better? I've been sticking to 80.

xlman78
03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
my bad rear is 80

Ciprian
03-10-2013, 12:18 AM
What size sprinter do you have? Hi roof or low roof?

Mine is a 2004 140 in wheelbase low roof.

Ciprian
03-10-2013, 12:31 AM

The key to getting good mileage is to stay off both gas and brakes. Leaving from a stop I just take my time. I don't have to race anybody just to step on the brakes a few minutes later. I keep it around 60 mph indicated on the speedometer, which is about 57 actual. When I know I have to turn, or stop, I get off gas waaay before, so I use the brakes very little (I am on my second set of brakes at 535,000 miles, the front brakes lasted about 350,000 while the rears lasted about 450,000).
Another benefit of driving slowly (beside good mileage and less wear and tear on the vehicle) is that I don't get stressed and tired. I rarely have to pass somebody. I just stay in the right lane, set the cruise control to 60, sit back, relax and enjoy the view. I can drive like this the whole day and I am not that tired. Now, don't get me wrong, a few times I had to step on it, but the mileage on those trips went down to 22 or so. But on those trips, after only a few hundreds of miles I was more tired than after 8 or 900 miles of my regular driving.

Try it sometimes. You will like it, and you will save money at the same time.

Aqua Puttana
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
We discussed mpg a bit as we returned from Florida. I commented to my wife that people on the forum talk about what oil, fuel brand, additives, etc. are needed for the best fuel economy and that Chip does as well as anyone by just keeping his speed down. No special oils, fuel brand or anything.

Ciprian,
I wondered if the 60 mph you mentioned was by the speedometer (about 57 mph) or GPS.

What you say about speed is so true. We laugh at the Mario Andretti wannabe's that weave in and out only for us to so often catch up with them later or watch them pass us again after they needed to stop for fuel. We've dubbed those and other odd drivers Oompa-Loompas from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fame.

Even by just following the speed limits I've found my road trips are much less stressful. I pass radar positioned police cars with no worries now. With many of the Interstates at 70 mph I'm not saving much fuel, but the stress is less. I'm not down to the Ciprian Sprinter 60 speed yet. Baby steps...

vic

surlyoldbill
03-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I started this thread http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23889&highlight=hypermiling so people could discuss strategies of getting better mileage, for those that obsess.

glasseye
03-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm with Ciprian all the way. Fuel economy is all about airspeed and conservation of momentum.

Slower is more economical of everything: 350K miles on a set of brakes? Sheez! It's also less stressful, quieter, more pleasurable and safer. It's the brake pedal that's the expensive one, not the throttle pedal.

I'm not an idiot about it, though. On the Interstates (rare) I set my cruise so that the commercial vehicles aren't constantly passing me.

Some of these anomalous tanks that give 800 miles or so are undoubtedly due to tailwinds. They can easily add 5mpg. No other temporary variable that I'm aware of could account for this instantaneous, temporary change.

surlyoldbill
03-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm with Ciprian all the way. Fuel economy is all about airspeed and conservation of momentum.

Slower is more economical of everything: 350K miles on a set of brakes? Sheez! It's also less stressful, quieter, more pleasurable and safer. It's the brake pedal that's the expensive one, not the throttle pedal.

I'm not an idiot about it, though. On the Interstates (rare) I set my cruise so that the commercial vehicles aren't constantly passing me.

Some of these anomalous tanks that give 800 miles or so are undoubtedly due to tailwinds. They can easily add 5mpg. No other temporary variable that I'm aware of could account for this instantaneous, temporary change.

After about 30-40mph, the wind resistance goes up exponentially, so there is a bigger drop in MPG between 60 and 70 than there is between 50 and 60. Pushing air out of the way is the main source of fuel usage once at a constant speed. I cruise at about 60-65 on the hiway.

I think the "best" MPG per MPH is acheived at about 45 for Sprinters. I'm not saying to drive 45 on the hiway, but if you have your low fuel light on and it's 100 miles to the nearest diesel, go 45.

Coast2Coast
03-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Mine is a 2004 140 in wheelbase low roof.

Well it looks we have tied in MPG, I did 753 last week on a tank, I might have been able to go another 22 miles to get it up to 775 but I didn't want to take the chance. I also did some engine revs towards the end of that tank due to a test drive after doing work on the sprinter which consumed some unnecessary fuel.

I do agree with staying off the brakes as much as possible and taking off at stop lights slower. I think if one were to set a record they could fill up and just drive with maybe one rest stop in between, 400 miles rest then 400+ more :)

Yours being a low roof has the advantage, I set my cruise at 63mph on most of that last tank, actual speed 60 mph. I think if I went down to 58-60 (speedometer speed) I could do 800 miles on a tank in a 140 Hi Roof sprinter. I heard once that a guy did 900 but never have seen a picture or much talk about it. :thinking:

PubRider
03-12-2013, 02:39 AM
32.3 round trip to Orlando loaded with 2 adults and 4 kids...

Fuel - Cheapest

60ish.... My truck just eats it when my speeds push 65-70, something I'm hoping with go away when I upgrade to bigger wheels and tires.

Another factor I've noticed is cooler weather... I've pulled 40-50 mile trips to Tampa and gotten 33 pushing 34mpg...

surlyoldbill
03-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Damn, and I think I'M lucky and/or skilled when I get 28mpg on a tank. I average about 23 now, a lot of city driving. Usually get 24 on road trips.

Aqua Puttana
03-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Another benefit of driving slowly (beside good mileage and less wear and tear on the vehicle) is that I don't get stressed and tired. I rarely have to pass somebody. I just stay in the right lane, set the cruise control to 60, sit back, relax and enjoy the view. I can drive like this the whole day and I am not that tired. Now, don't get me wrong, a few times I had to step on it, but the mileage on those trips went down to 22 or so. But on those trips, after only a few hundreds of miles I was more tired than after 8 or 900 miles of my regular driving.

So I tried the CSS Ciprian Set Sixty method yesterday on a 25 mile or so trip. It was a different experience.

With my wheel/tire size and rear end ratio my engine settled in at around 2100, maybe 2200 rpm at 60 by the speedo. I found the lower engine speed did seem to just make things more relaxed in general. I stayed in the right lane and mostly used cruise control bumps to anticipate changing conditions ahead. Not a bad mode of travel at all.

We'll need to see how my dear wife reacts to my using the CSS method next time she is aboard. She already comments that I drive like an old man (which I am, I guess). :laughing: vic

surlyoldbill
03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
So I tried the CSS Ciprian Set Sixty method yesterday on a 25 mile or so trip. It was a different experience.

With my wheel/tire size and rear end ratio my engine settled in at around 2100, maybe 2200 rpm at 60 by the speedo. I found the lower engine speed did seem to just make things more relaxed in general. I stayed in the right lane and mostly used cruise control bumps to anticipate changing conditions ahead. Not a bad mode of travel at all.

We'll need to see how my dear wife reacts to my using the CSS method next time she is aboard. She already comments that I drive like an old man (which I am, I guess). :laughing: vic

People forget that mental activity burns about 35% of their calories. Relaxing mentally by not looking for every opportunity to pass and gain a second or two, or being hypervigilant of the drive will actually make your long drive enjoyable.

Ciprian
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
She already comments that I drive like an old man (which I am, I guess). :laughing: vic

My wife has been calling me 'slow' for a while. Finally figured it out why. lol

Electryc_monk
03-19-2013, 03:51 AM
from what I've learned the 02-03 US models are best fuel economy. 2004-06 is a slowly sliding scale worse..... well we found a 2004 that was a Great deal for my better-half & I. And it was local. Seriously Ironic.

staying true to thread: plans, learn what the one shop has done since new as for liquids and filters. if its not full syn. then I will be making it so when time comes for it.

Added Mod's based on prior experiences with our other diesels:
1) bypass oil filtration
2) sincerely modest I.D. upgrade in exhaust pipe (reduce EGT and increase flow) might even squeak out .5-.9 mpg increase[my '99 7.3L has shown a max .9 mpg improvement with this upgraded exhaust idea]
3) skin the belly with as thin a sheet of metal as possible (theres a guy around town who's done this to several of his rides.....)

rimjaine
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
To all that report, please include specifics, as to engine size, 2.7L or 3.0L or something else. Ya Imperial gallon makes a big difference too. Best I've gotten on my '05 2.7L using shell gas was about 25 mpg, driving about 62 to 65.
Jim

Aqua Puttana
03-19-2013, 12:47 PM
To all that report, please include specifics, as to engine size, 2.7L or 3.0L or something else. Ya Imperial gallon makes a big difference too. Best I've gotten on my '05 2.7L using shell gas was about 25 mpg, driving about 62 to 65.
Jim
If everyone, including you... hint, hint :thumbup: would add the model year info to your signature or details nobody would ever need to type that again. vic

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >246,000 mi. DAD” [/QUOTE]
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

[Color="Red"]I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You add the info once and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Have fun. vic

Does this bother others too? I find it irritating to read threads here where a responder needs to request that the person asking for help please supply their Sprinter year of manufacture.

I'm considering a personal solution which may not be very social so I figured I'd offer it up for discussion before heading down the path.

In the future I may only respond to those who have their model year posted in either their signature or profile. It takes only a minute to do and I have often supplied the steps needed to do it. I'll give new members a pass up to a few postings, but after that the same will apply to them. Maybe I'm over-reacting? Comments? vic

Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or "Quick Links") in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or "Quick Links") in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

Have fun. vic

If you think you are too small to make a difference you haven't spent a night with a mosquito. - African Proverb

Uncle Dave
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
from what I've learned the 02-03 US models are best fuel economy. 2004-06 is a slowly sliding scale worse..... well we found a 2004 that was a Great deal for my better-half & I. And it was local. Seriously Ironic.

staying true to thread: plans, learn what the one shop has done since new as for liquids and filters. if its not full syn. then I will be making it so when time comes for it.

Added Mod's based on prior experiences with our other diesels:
1) bypass oil filtration
2) sincerely modest I.D. upgrade in exhaust pipe (reduce EGT and increase flow) might even squeak out .5-.9 mpg increase[my '99 7.3L has shown a max .9 mpg improvement with this upgraded exhaust idea]
3) skin the belly with as thin a sheet of metal as possible (theres a guy around town who's done this to several of his rides.....)

Whose bypass system did you use and can you share the details?

Thanks

Uncle Dave

Bobnoxious
05-24-2016, 12:38 PM
The key to getting good mileage is to stay off both gas and brakes. Leaving from a stop I just take my time. I don't have to race anybody just to step on the brakes a few minutes later. I keep it around 60 mph indicated on the speedometer, which is about 57 actual. When I know I have to turn, or stop, I get off gas waaay before, so I use the brakes very little (I am on my second set of brakes at 535,000 miles, the front brakes lasted about 350,000 while the rears lasted about 450,000).

Amen brother! No zoom zoom zoom for me! Been driving the same way for 50-years.

Here in Loonyville, aka, Southern California, people drive with their heads up their patooties. Got to pay attention here or you could get shot. Fortunately, I am always armed (legally) and somewhat dangerous. I always spy the next traffic signal to judge my speed and adjust accordingly. If the light is red and no one behind me, I'll coast to a stop. If there's a herd of motoring pukes are behind me, more often than not, I'll pull to shoulder let the all the working stiffs pass cause I am retired and no need for me to hurry. I'd rather lose a minute of my life than my life in one minute! It seems as if everyone is driving at Daytona! Car commercials don't help, mostly showing idiots zooming around. Small children see this saturation advertising while growing up and believe such driving habits are normal and acceptable. That is until they get their license and end up stuck behind me! Yep, I get a lot of stink eye and middle finger. Fuggg em all! :lol:

I drive exactly the same way as you on the highway. No worries no hurry! Set her at 60, relax and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes, I might go 65 if am feeling spunky. Going any faster is wasting petrol because of wind resistance!

My moto: "I don't want to lead the herd and don't want to follow the herd. I kick back, watch and laugh at the herd." :lol:

AdrianD
05-25-2016, 06:16 AM
As far as I know, speedo error is induced.

autostaretx
05-25-2016, 05:24 PM
As far as I know, speedo error is induced.
If you have something like a ScanGauge/UltraGauge/DashDAQ, then the speed *it* reports will be accurate.
(as long as you haven't played with your tire sizes)

--dick

Frank Mc
05-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Guys, This is my 1st. post. Just bought my Sprinter 08 2500 310K 3 lt. Driving it from Spokane to E. Or. this red message kept coming on saying too much oil in engine. Reduce level. But the dip stick said everything was fine . I wonder if I have the right dip stick ?? I have part # 64227 MB

I changed the oil and put in 9.5 qts which I think is the right amount. I used Mobil 1 0w40
229.3 I hope this is the right oil. When I drained old oil I spilled some on ground and still had what looked like 2.5 gallons. !!! Help , I,m baffled !! Frank

Old Crows
05-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Well Frank, the poor Beast is over full. The Stuttgart Boyz have installed a sensor that detects over and under fill. In your case, the 'trap' is that the oil, installed cold, expands in volume when it gets up to 212F+. That trips the sensor for over fill. You did right to remove some oil. The dipper is not the most reliable way to check the oil as it does not reflect the oils expanded volume when hot. Hence, the RED HANDLE.... reminding the unwashed to check the oil STINKING HOT.

Always, put in about 1 QT less than the re-fill data. Start it up and get it good and hot. Shut down. Let it drain down. Check with the dipper and add to put the oil level between the two red blobs on the stick. No higher than 1/2 way between the blobs when it is HOT.

Again, the dipper has a red handle. That means check stinking hot. An important point.

What I do is put it 1/2 way between the blobs cold. Check it stinking hot (no higher than almost to the top red blob). Now I can just check it cold since my base line is about 1/3 to 1/2 above the bottom red blob.

Learn how to use the "M" button on the dash to check oil level. After driving, let it sit 10-15 minutes. Turn on ignition to 'run' but don't start. Push the "M" button and scroll through options until you see the 'oil can'. It will start checking oil level showing a bunch of dashes. When done, it will say OK. You are good to go... and at that point you may forget the dip stick.

The monitor will show low levels: Saying ADD 1 or 2 QTs as necessary. If you don't add oil after 2 QTs, the Benz Boyz will save your bacon by killing the engine til you add oil.

Right oil? You apparently have the 3 L, turbocharged V6. An OM-642. The 642s usually use MB spec 229.51 or 229.52. Very Low SAPS oil to protect the emission controls. It would be important to find out exactly what 642 variety you have as there are changes every year related to emission controls. I'd call your local MB store and give them your VIN # and let them tell you what they would use.

You can also search this MB 'Official' list for engine type and fluid requirements. It's called the BEVO list. (Note: not BEVO the University of Texas Austin long horn mascot!!!!) Look for 229.3 and work your way through the offerings. Use care.... Benz is international and they have listing for Euro, US & Canada, and the rest of the known world and many unknown places. Find your year, engine, country and then look down the list for recommendations. (NOTE: MB 'approved' is what you want to see on the bottle.... not 'meets MB specs). I'm taking a SWAG based on my '09 requiring 229.51 spec.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?language_id=1

Frank Mc
05-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks , Old Crows. The cold oil does not even show up on the dip stick with 9.5 qts. in it . I still wonder if I have the right dip stick

Frank Mc
05-28-2016, 05:02 PM
I don't have a M button I do have what looks like a 2 drops of oil button . I pushed that and lots of strange noises started going on and then it told me to add 2 qts. If I do that I'll be up to 11.5 qts. I swear I read 9.5 qts was it for my engine .

Bobnoxious
05-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Hi Old Crows: what temperature should one check the oil if the dipstick handle is yellow?

Also, I cannot resist mentioning the Sprinter is the most difficult vehicle I have encountered trying to obtain accurate and consistent dipstick readings. It believe it is a result of the design of the scale on the end of the dipstick. There are what I assume centering nubs on each end of the scale, I guess are suppose to keep the scale centered in the dipstick tube? I think all they do is drag and smear oil along the tube while the dipstick is being removed. Another example of Hans or Gunther over-design. A flat metal dipstick would have sufficed, no?

Bob

Bobnoxious
05-28-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't have a M button I do have what looks like a 2 drops of oil button . I pushed that and lots of strange noises started going on and then it told me to add 2 qts. If I do that I'll be up to 11.5 qts. I swear I read 9.5 qts was it for my engine .

Hey Fred baby, so everyone will know what kind of engine have, please post your sprinter specs in your signature.

Frank Mc
05-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Bob, the 2 plastic nubs are a super good idea because without them oil does get smeared on the part of the stick you are trying to read.

Does anybody here know how much oil the 08 Ncv3 takes ? I put in 10 qts. and the computer tells me to put 2 more . I thought that engine took 9.5 . Anybody ?? I have no owners manual

Thanks

Rob S
05-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Correct amount as per my 07 Sprinter manual for the V6 (NCV3) Diesel is 12.5 litres = approx 13.2 quarts bone dry, 12 quarts usually gets you above the low oil level. I think all 08 and later is the same.

AFAIK the Gas Engine version 07/08 is 9.5 litres = 10.0 quarts, also the T1n is about that as well.

Frank Mc
05-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Rob, Old Crows says that if you are 2 qts. low the computer will shut the engine down. The oil I need to get is 40 miles away . Do you think that drive is doable ?? Thanks for your reply , Without a owners manual it's going to be slow to everything I need to know. When I was driving it home after buying it there was a message in red that said " too much oil,reduce oil" the dip stick said it was right on ,
so when I drained it I got aprox 2.5 gallons so that would compare with your figures.

Old Crows
05-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Correct amount as per my 07 Sprinter manual for the V6 (NCV3) Diesel is 12.5 litres = approx 13.2 quarts bone dry, 12 quarts usually gets you above the low oil level. I think all 08 and later is the same.

AFAIK the Gas Engine version 07/08 is 9.5 litres = 10.0 quarts, also the T1n is about that as well.

I looked at three MB Sprinter Operator manuals.... In typical German efficiency.... they don't list the refill capacity. Off the top of the Crow's noggin..... for a Sprinter OM-642 V6.... the refill capacity is 13.2something quarts. But.... you best put in only 12 and do some checking. Adding 13 will ignite the 'over full' light.

Don't ask how I know...... OK you asked. The Boerne Benz dealership overfilled my '10 on it's first OC. Half way home, the light fired up while on the interstate. Slo driving and it went away. Thanks to Sprinter Forum and Google, I sorted out that the reason. I removed about 1/2 quart with my suction tool and all was well.

Now I buy 13 quarts. Put in 12 and change. I put the remainder in the RV for 'make up' oil if I need it.

So.... 12 Quarts...and a scoche bit. If it's half way or less between the two red pips on the stick, I'm good.

Frank Mc
05-28-2016, 11:27 PM
Thanks, OC we've got a DiL in labor so I've got to put the Sprinter on the back burner for about 5 days. Our 1st. grand child and I'm 73

Is there a printable Owners manual I can get ?

elhilayla
05-29-2016, 08:55 AM
The speedometer is 5% faster than actual speed on most Sprinters with original sized tires, but the odometer is 100% CORRECT. I think they did that to reduce speeding to the unknowing. No odometer adjustment is needed.

FWIW my 30MPG is for Canadian Imperial Gallon, that equals 25 US MPG, @ 55 MPH

I am a Canadian so my statistics is very roughly the same to you and others
Here is my statistics for the last 2 years AVERAGE
my tank is 100 L, which roughly gives me 975 KM
My average speed on highways is always 95 KPH
My oil change is roughly at 5000KM OR 6 month Synthetic

Diesel Dork
05-29-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm doing my first oil change and from one of the comments that there is a oil filter bypass.
This brings to mind a few questions.
1. Why the heck would anybody want to do that? Last I checked oil filters were there for a reason but I could be wrong. :thinking:
2. If it's for increased mileage & performance and there's no seriously adverse effects in bypassing the oil filter then singe me up. Where do I get an oil filter bypass for a 2005 sprinter? It should go without saying but it runs on diesel.

sailquik
05-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Diesel Dork,
There is no MB engineered/factory authorized Sprinter oil filter bypass.
Some have added aftermarket bypass filters (usually using a toilet paper roll as a filter, but some that
have an actual change able filter element.
There would be absolutely no additional performance or increased fuel mileage with a bypass oil filter.
The advocates of the bypass filter claim that they can keep their oil cleaner by changing out the bypass filter media
and simply replenishing the oil lost in the filter interchange.
The "Best" performance and longevity can be achieved by using the MB BEVO approved products for your 2005 Sprinter.
That would be Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula oil (MB BEVO 229.5), and a good quality OEM/Mann/Hengst/Mahle oil filter.
Beware of other filters as some have disintegrated (perhaps not completely but degraded filter performance for sure).
Here's a link to a kit with everything you need:
http://europarts-sd.com/2002-2006sprinteroilchangekit.asp
They also carry the Sprinter T1N OM-647 oil filter socket:
http://europarts-sd.com/oilfiltercapwrenchdieselengine-2002-2006.asp
Hope this helps,
Roger

LuckyDawgz Jim
05-29-2016, 09:30 PM
05/29/16

Mobil 1 120760 Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 5 Quart

Price: $22.88 Free Shipping for Prime Members

http://smile.amazon.com/Mobil-120760-Synthetic-Motor-0W-40/dp/B00HG76A9A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Walmart also has a similar deal.

Old Crows
05-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Thanks, OC we've got a DiL in labor so I've got to put the Sprinter on the back burner for about 5 days. Our 1st. grand child and I'm 73

Is there a printable Owners manual I can get ?

Hoping all goes well with the grand kiddoh!

Her's a link to Sprinter manuals...

http://www.sprintermanual.com/sprinter-library/

crazyswede
05-31-2016, 08:13 PM
04 sprinter, 341,000 miles, 100k on reman transmission, leaking number 5 exhaust gasket due to broken stud, exhaust system toast....still drives well...getting 23.5 to 24 mpg for most driving. Figuring i am running a 4.5 cylinder engine at the moment with boost leakage.

Aqua Puttana
05-31-2016, 08:58 PM
... Figuring i am running a 4.5 cylinder engine at the moment with boost leakage.
:idunno:

Just a manifold leak, or a turbo stud bad?

Some time ago I drove my 2004 with the DAD connected and had my wife drive while I puttered with the DAD. During hard acceleration I could watch the turbo open up at first and then quickly ramp back on the vanes.

I think that it would take quite a bad leak to have great affect on the volume and pressure to the turbo.

I towed my boat quite a few times when I had an exhaust stud broken and the manifold with a definite whistling leak. The power seemed fine to me.

When my exhaust system has failed I've run my 2004 Sprinter a couple times now with nothing connected past the manifold exhaust flex pipe (no cat converter, no muffler). Also with different exhaust studs broken, all at different times. I've had no LHM events and didn't notice any appreciable power loss.

:2cents: vic

crazyswede
06-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Broken exhaust stud. I was getting the horrible gasket squeal from the reed valve effect but that has stopped. The heat mat even caught on fire back there once :). I get a lot of diesel fumes and can see the soot on the block from the leak. I accelerate like someone who wants to see 500k miles out of his 340k motor so I rarely get into the high boost. I have towed multiple times with it as is and still did ok but mileage is never better than 24 and used to be in the 25-28 range. Regular oil changes and properly inflated tired. Regular fuel filters every 20k or so. Changed the trans fluid and filter but the trans has leaked ever since....will do another filter and pan gasket as it looks like it's a pan leak. Trans is a reman with about 120k on it and it's not the greatest at this point. Not sure how many miles to expect from a reman but it still works as long as I keep an eye on the fluid level. I have an occasional lhm but always resets as normal. Had one check engine light recently which I suspect to be a glow plug but it cleared on its own and I have not had the codes checked.

Aqua Puttana
06-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Broken exhaust stud. I was getting the horrible gasket squeal from the reed valve effect but that has stopped. The heat mat even caught on fire back there once :). ...
That must be quite some leak.

I've seldom broken the mid twenties with my 2004 standard roof 2500. We once hit 27 mpg. That was while vacationing in the Florida Keys. That's about as flat as it gets, and mostly lower speeds.

Typically when fairly lightly loaded I'm in the 22 -24 range, 16 - 17 towing my 2700# all up boat only if I keep my speed down near 60 mph.

vic

crazyswede
06-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Yeah empty I am seeing 23.5 to 24. I have been driving it like this for years....but this may be the summer to fix it. Some simple probing makes me suspect the stud is broken off flush with the head. To fix in the van my though is to get the manifold off and replace all the studs and then build a drill alignment plate that can guide a drill into the center of the stud. Need an angle drill to get in there. Aside from pulling the engine forward my other though was to make an access port in the firewall but not sure that's any easier.

AdventureVan
06-02-2016, 08:39 PM
I am learning alot on my 2006 dodge sprinter, diesel.
But I am one t pass on deals or give info.
FYI, I was shopping around, I saw Auto zone had gallon size Mobil 1 0-40w for $36,
Cmon autozone...! But wait I found it at Walmart in CA, for $23.. had to give the MB diesel owners a shot at these bottles..
Ok I gotta ask, anyone know a "Dr A", on West coast. I can't the the orginal guy in the east, no disrespect Dr A. There gotta be someone just as knoweagle as him here in CA..
ima stock up on that oil, if shelves empty sorry...I just saw it today. Anyone got good leads on good oil filters..

Coast2Coast
06-06-2016, 04:47 PM
I am learning alot on my 2006 dodge sprinter, diesel.
But I am one t pass on deals or give info.
FYI, I was shopping around, I saw Auto zone had gallon size Mobil 1 0-40w for $36,
Cmon autozone...! But wait I found it at Walmart in CA, for $23.. had to give the MB diesel owners a shot at these bottles..
Ok I gotta ask, anyone know a "Dr A", on West coast. I can't the the orginal guy in the east, no disrespect Dr A. There gotta be someone just as knoweagle as him here in CA..
ima stock up on that oil, if shelves empty sorry...I just saw it today. Anyone got good leads on good oil filters..

Not quite the docktor but there are some Sprinter experts down in LA. :smilewink:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sprinter-expert-los-angeles

go with hengst for quality and price. http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/6111800009

BMA also sells them if you're near Glendale CA you can pick them up for around same price or less. http://www.bmaparts.com/catalog-3/itemdetail/hengst/6111800009he

MPG update: Doing around 650-675 per tank cruising now at 70 MPH. Haven't mounted my new Michelin Tires yet due to having front end alignment tire wear issues.