Van died AGAIN

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Same stealer; the other local stealer is worse. Same symptoms; however, ESP first came on this time. We scanned with a generic reader; couldn't connect to ESP but we did get code 0335 - crankshaft positioning sensor. It's possible if they did a botch job on the center bearing. As soon as I have more info, I'll update.

Sprinter

Same stealer; the other local stealer is worse. Same symptoms; however, ESP first came on this time. We scanned with a generic reader; couldn't connect to ESP but we did get code 0335 - crankshaft positioning sensor. It's possible if they did a botch job on the center bearing. As soon as I have more info, I'll update.

really scary, sorry to hear that

tab380

The Drain Doctor
When the center bearing goes bad, is it something that you can look at and tell? Or is it just the noise that tells you? If I looked at mine, what am I looking for? :idunno:

Sprinter

When the center bearing goes bad, is it something that you can look at and tell? Or is it just the noise that tells you? If I looked at mine, what am I looking for? :idunno:
Just noise, You won't see anything

It's very interresting (and scary) that such a simple thing could affect crankshaft and ESP
Probabbly due to increased tension on propeller shaft, NOT GOOD

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Just noise, You won't see anything

It's very interresting (and scary) that such a simple thing could affect crankshaft and ESP
Probabbly due to increased tension on propeller shaft, NOT GOOD
I wonder the tech plugged in the StarScan after the repair-test drive.....

This is all very disturbing.

-Jon

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
I wonder the tech plugged in the StarScan after the repair-test drive.....

This is all very disturbing.

-Jon
Actually, codes were cleared last time. This was the only code today.

Scary is right. Had this happened a mile north of me, I would have been in a construction zone with NO shoulders and would have been stuck in a lane of traffic on the interstate. I have 3 young kids; if this thing is going to regularly die on me at random places and speeds, I may need to look at getting into something more reliable.

Anyway, we had the right code and item. The part isn't on backorder but it is at another dealer 200 miles away. Part will be here Monday. They want to keep the van overnight Monday night to test drive it but I simply don't have any other way to tote 3 kids around.

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The "scary" thing about this thread is the runaway, somewhat irrational, speculation of the failure and the cause. Doktor A

blakej59

Yesterday (Jan 18th), Mercedes announced a recall for all 2007 Mercedes diesel vehicles to replace the crankshaft sensor. The sensor failure causes the vehicle to loose power and not be able to be restarted. The press release didn't mention Sprinters

Jim

kendall69

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 07V594000

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:DIESEL

Details: ON CERTAIN UTILITY VANS, THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR IN CERTAIN DIESEL ENGINES COULD FAIL DUE TO SEPARATION OF BOND WIRES FROM THE LEAD FRAME IN THE SENSOR. THIS RESULTS IN AN INTERRUPTION IN THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION IN THE CHIP HOUSING OF THE SENSOR.

Consequence: WHEN THIS HAPPENS, THE VEHICLES MAY LOSE POWER RATHER THAN ENTER A LIMP-HOME MODE. IN ADDITION, THE VEHICLE CANNOT BE RESTARTED AFTER FAILURE OF THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION IN THE SENSOR, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANKSHAFT SENSORS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SPRINTER AT 1-843-695-5000.

Units Potentially Affected: 6101

Recall Initiated By: MFR
Date added to NHTSA datbase: 12/21/2007

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Doktor A, we have a code reader; I did specify it was generic to this platform. However, it did read the proper and only code, which I posted in this thread and it was confirmed by the dealer. The dealer told me yesterday that they would also have to "fix" some wiring near the ignition due to replacing the sensor. I tried to get him to tell me exactly what it meant but I was talking to a service writer, not the tech. Sounds similar to that recall, doesn't it?

Irrational speculation? If you'd like to believe that, go ahead.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Doktor A,
Irrational speculation? If you'd like to believe that, go ahead.
I was referring to the direction the thread was taking-namely, speculation that the failure of your crank sensor was likely related to a "botched" repair of the drive shaft center bearing. Doktor A

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
I was referring to the direction the thread was taking-namely, speculation that the failure of your crank sensor was likely related to a "botched" repair of the drive shaft center bearing. Doktor A
That was a goof on my part. I thought I had read something about the crankshaft while looking at the repair procedure for the center bearing (I read it a couple weeks ago.) I was wrong on that.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Wow! 6101 units affected. I wonder how they came to that (exact numbered) conclusion. Sounds exactly what you're seeing.
According to the entry on The All World Auto website, the text indicates a disclaimer: "Potential # of Units Affected: 6,101 "

My guess is that's the number of units produced between the dates of 05-01-06 through 10-31-07....

I'm looking forward to my first recall.

-Jon

Top Bottom