PDA

View Full Version : New Owner. Need Seat. Totally Ignorant.

Handall77
03-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Hello. We bought a 2006 Dodge Sprinter (2500) for the business this past fall. I am not a car person in general and know NOTHING about Sprinters.

I'd like to use it as a road trip vehicle this spring and summer so I need to add a seat that sits two people.

Where should I get started? Here? Ebay? Once I find a seat, should I trust a friend or acquaintance to install it? Or is professionally the only way to go?

Sorry if this is off topic for this specific thread. All advice and knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

marcrunner
03-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Hi, Welcome,

You did not mention whether you had a cargo or passenger model. If passenger, the mounting brackets while they may or may not be there will have the provisions for mounting brackets and can be purchased, or may come with the seat. I believe the cargo model Sprinter can be retrofitted to accept the brackets but would def be more difficult to install. The original rear seating is made very well, but is also so heavy it becomes a problem for one person to move in and out of the Sprinter. The original seats come up for sale unbelievably often, and usually sell used for between $350 and $600. They can be found here as well as online auctions-Marc

Handall77
03-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks Marc. That is very helpful.

I have the cargo version. Once I obtain a seat where can I find information on how to install it? You mentioned it would be more difficult. Any idea what it would cost to have someone do it professionally? Not sure I know or trust anyone to install a seat that requires special retrofitting.

jmoller99
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
The Cargo van does not have seat brackets in the floor to attach a bench seat to. If you want these seats behind the driver, you will need to pull the fuel tank to allow you to put holes in the floor (behind the driver) and make up a threaded mounting bracket to attach the seats to the floor. Any brand of van seats will likely work (look at a junk yard for them and any mounting hardware).

jdcaples
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
A proto-type write up

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17836

-Jon

Amboman
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
You will possibly need to crawl underneath the van to look if there are undrilled anchor nuts or unused anchor nuts in position, the reminder about not drilling holes in the fuel tank is a poignant one and so easy to do.

A.Hayes
03-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the forum! Lots of good info can be found using the Search feature in the blue bar. Here's one thread: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4432&highlight=adding+seats+cargo

When I added a factory bench to my '02, I had Van Specialties here in Portland mount the factory brackets (ordered from Berry Dodge- I think part #s are in the above thread). Also FYI depending on the seating you want, note that there were 3 sizes in the passenger T1Ns- 3 person narrow (to allow room at the sliding door), 2- person, and 3- person wide (in the back). Floor bracket locations can be found by looking for pin sized holes in the plywood floor. There is a recessed area under these where the bracket mounts. Cargo units generally have no nuts pre-set, but a conversion van upfitter can do it if you don't want to yourself.

As far as the "totally ignorant" part of your title- start with the Sprinter Wiki in the blue bar above for the basics, and make use of the Search. Also, I know you said in post #1 that you have an '06; if you add year/size/(location) to your "about me" part in your account, you won't have to repeat that and people are more likely to jump in an help when you have model specific questions.

Enjoy your van!

Handall77
03-12-2013, 03:06 AM
Thanks A. Hayes! Great information. I'll check out the search feature, thread, and Sprinter Wiki.

ECU
03-12-2013, 03:29 AM
The cargo version DOES have marks (little holes) for where the mounting plates go. Once you own the seat, you will need the brackets. They cost under $20 each. The two holer only needs two brackets.
Here is the info from my install of exactly what you have and want.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43299&postcount=1
I had my local body shop do the work after I cut the holes and screwed it all up.

surlyoldbill
03-12-2013, 03:32 AM
I can't find it anymore, but there was a series of bench seats that folded up to the wall when not in use, that had seat belts. They were designed for use in toy-hauler trailers. They are universal fit, and under $500. Try a web search. There are also some universal fit captains chairs in ebay, and some bench seats of the same style.

Garandman
05-12-2019, 02:21 PM
The cargo version DOES have marks (little holes) for where the mounting plates go. Once you own the seat, you will need the brackets. They cost under $20 each. The two holer only needs two brackets.
Here is the info from my install of exactly what you have and want.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43299&postcount=1
I had my local body shop do the work after I cut the holes and screwed it all up.Anyone know if seat bases are available for jump seats? I wouldn't mind putting in one just to have temporary extra seating capacity

autostaretx
05-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Anyone know if seat bases are available for jump seats? I wouldn't mind putting in one just to have temporary extra seating capacity
MB did sell jump seats in/for the T1N Sprinter, they're even in the parts catalogs.

But "jump seat" is an ambiguous descriptor: where do you want it?
(a) in the usual front passenger position? (like UPS trucks)
(b) facing rearward, mounted on the back of the usual front passenger seat?
(c) other (like, sideways behind the driver, etc etc)

Lucky Europeans could also get a two-wide front passenger "bench", and i think there was a jump seat version where the center seat could be lifted to access the storage beneath.
The US-standard ashtray (etc) impedes that seat's knee/foot room.

--dick

Garandman
05-13-2019, 03:02 AM
Like this:https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75629

mounted behind the front row, facing forward.