PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump Leak

seadawg
03-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Hi All:

About two months ago my power steering started making noise. I checked the fluid. It was low. I added fluid it worked and was quiet. Didn't take long before it started making noise again. I looked at both the high pressure hose and the return hose for leaks. The HP was clean the return had a little bit of oil on it -- but underneath the pump is very soiled. As far as I can see there are only the two points of connection for hoses so if those aren't leaking my other options are? (1) The seal on the pump itself, or (2) a crack in the reservoir.

My plan of attack is to (1) refill the reservoir (2) clean the soiled area and (3) look for leaks. Seems pretty easy to replace the pump but If it is only an "O" ring or something that need to be replaced I don't want to spend $140.

Any comments? Has any one replaced their PS pump. I only have 160k miles on a 2004 but I did get rear ended last year.

seadawg
03-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Anyone? Comments plz. Bump

Aqua Puttana
03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Anyone? Comments plz. Bump
Since you asked...

Isolate the leak. If it is a hose or other leaking easily replaceable component replace the parts.

If it is the steering system (rack) seals then if going OEM that needs complete assembly replacement. In that case I would suck out the reservoir and replace with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. That is not approved in any way by Mercedes Benz. If your steering gear is already leaking then what do you have to lose? I sucked out my power steering fluid reservoir and refilled with the Lucas stuff as a preventative measure. I think that was over 40,000 miles ago. FWIW. vic

whitedog
03-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Hey Vic, If the rack is leaking, wouldn't there be oil in the bellows?

Aqua Puttana
03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Hey Vic, If the rack is leaking, wouldn't there be oil in the bellows?
Most likely.

To be clear. I wasn't saying it is your steering rack. If you find some other part (hose, fitting, reservoir, etc.) leaking then repair it. If it is the steering gear proper leaking or perhaps even the pump seal then MY OPINION is that the Lucas product is worth a shot.

Here's to hoping you find something easy and cheap to fix. :cheers: vic

kjg912
03-13-2013, 04:11 PM
I also used the Lucas power steering stop leak on my leaky unit, it seems to work very well, as I didn't want to replace the unit until it is necessary. I replaced one rack on a Vanagon after putting it up on two wheels and it began leaking, and this so far has been a much better option (and I wish I had tried it on the Vanagon)! Years ago, I also had a steering box leak on an old VW singlecab, and a mechanic said to just pump it full of moly grease, and I never had a problem or had to replace that unit either.

uzzadnun
04-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Hey Guys,

Hoping someone might be able to help me. I have a 2006 t1n 2500 and I have a hole in my power steering high pressure hose (the metal has worn down from rubbing against the front light housing). I'm pretty sure it's the power steering high pressure hose because if I turn on my t1n and turn the wheel, power steering fluid shoots out with authority! I was hoping someone would be able to help me identify a part number so I can order a replacement. Can anyone point me to schematics for the power steering assembly or a link to the part number? Thank you so much for any help!

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
04-03-2017, 01:02 AM
Get yourself a copy of the parts manual here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

uzzadnun
04-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Get yourself a copy of the parts manual here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

Thanks buddy! Really appreciate it! Found the part. Ordered it online. Funny story: 12 hours after ordering the part expedited (and paying $50 for expedited shipping) we got an email notification that they would send it expedited after the received the part from the manufacturer in 3-5 business days. :hmmm:

aspen
11-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Area below reservoir on my 2004 is wet, soiled. I thought it was from return hose, but not.
Where else could it be leaking from? How involved is the pump rebuiding procedure? New at europarts is $300...

Midwestdrifter
11-09-2017, 09:51 PM
If you recently moved your steering with the engine off, that may cause the reservoir to overflow when driven afterwards.

I have not done a sprinter pump, but in general these gear type hydraulic pumps are easy to reseal if you have the tools to take them apart. Usually a gasket on the split case, a main shaft seal, and that is about it.