oil sale time again - March 2013

Düsseldorfer

Valvoline Synpower 5W40 (the 229.51 stuff) is on sale again.

O'Reilly: $4.99/qt, limit 24. See their current ad.

NAPA: $5.29/qt, no limit noted. See their current ad.

The part number, if the guy at the desk has trouble locating it, is VAL966 for both stores.

Many folks on this board have saved me money by posting these sales in the past, so I thought I would return the favor. Enjoy! :thumbup:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Do you have any idea as to how long the sale lasts? I was planning a short trip to the USA in April, but might leave earlier, since an oil 'stockup' was on the list of things to do.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
It meets the same MB229.51 spec. that the Mobil meets. I've been using it for the past couple of years with no problems. Piper1, a former Sprinter owner preferred the Valvoline over the Mobil 1 for a number of reasons posted somewhere on this Forum.

mikesprints

Valvoline Synpower 5W40 (the 229.51 stuff) is on sale again.

O'Reilly: $4.99/qt, limit 24. See their current ad.

NAPA: $5.29/qt, no limit noted. See their current ad.

The part number, if the guy at the desk has trouble locating it, is VAL966 for both stores.

Many folks on this board have saved me money by posting these sales in the past, so I thought I would return the favor. Enjoy! :thumbup:
Can you please share how you found this? Do you have a link? I googled synpower on sale, did not find anything current. :idunno: Thanks.

Kat

Katmobile
If you go to the O'Reilly website http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/fi/storelocator.oap put in your zip code and then click on "Current Ad", it should come up. The ad for my store says the "Prices effective February 27 - March 26" They only show the 5-30 weight on the ad, so hopefully it applies to 5-40 as well.

I went to the Valvoline website to make sure the 5-40 weight met the 229.51 spec but couldn't find ANY verification of that, yet they do confirm the 229.51 spec for the 5-30 weight here: http://www.valvoline.com/promos/dexos.jsp :thinking:

Then just for the heck of it, I decided to click on the button on the Valvoline page that says; "Are you using the right motor oil? We'll help you make the choice with this free, easy tool. Try it now" (You can try that here: http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/synpower/full-synthetic-motor-oil/5) The answer that they came up with was their "Premium Blue" oil... (Answer right here: http://classic.valvoline.com/crmo/recommendation.asp?cid=757339) Yet they still don't give the 229.51 spec. :yell: I guess you have to call Valvoline to get an answer or just stick with what your sprinter manual says to use.

Kat

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I went to the Valvoline website to make sure the 5-40 weight met the 229.51 spec but couldn't find ANY verification of that, yet they do confirm the 229.51 spec for the 5-30 weight here: http://www.valvoline.com/promos/dexos.jsp :thinking:

<snip> :yell: I guess you have to call Valvoline to get an answer or just stick with what your sprinter manual says to use.

Kat
Please stop yelling.

You don't have to call Valvoline. In fact, the person will likely not have the tools to look up the answer when they pick up the phone.

Open this link:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...nt_action=show&mark=229.51&suchbegriff=229.51

You should dozens and dozens of oils that comply. I cut-n-pasted the list into excel and took a screen capture.

Capture.JPG

The 5w-40 product is VV966 (victor, victor, niner, six, six) last I checked (a year or 18 months ago).

-Jon

showkey

If you go to the O'Reilly website http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/fi/storelocator.oap put in your zip code and then click on "Current Ad", it should come up. The ad for my store says the "Prices effective February 27 - March 26" They only show the 5-30 weight on the ad, so hopefully it applies to 5-40 as well.

Kat
As far as the Valvoline site...........The download PDF spec sheet shows the 229.51 certification the oil is the MST version:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Same specs as the bevo sheet as above.

Is that oil as good as Mobil 1 5w40 ESP ?
Many people will quote the MB BEVO recommendations like it is the Holy Gospel and then immediately start spouting brand preferences.

In my opinion, if you believe in the BEVO list, any product meeting the MB 229.51 specification (as an example in this case), and of the proper viscosity for your area of operation, is as good as any other product name. If that isn't true then why have the BEVO list?

IF you are going to believe in the BEVO list, if the product meets the specification then it is good to use. After that it all comes down to what marketing you believe. It has been proven time and again that there is no truth to the myth that you can't change brands within similar product types (product label doesn't matter).

MB does mention Mobil 1 products occasionally. In my opinion Mother Mecedes may not be in bed with Mobil 1, but there is at least a flirtatious relationship going on there. Personally I would let product price within the MB specification guide me to my choice. FWIW. vic

P.S. - Valvoline Synpower MST meets MB229.51 spec. Valvoline is a respected brand name.

Last edited:

NBB

My O'Reilly ad says Synpower 5-30 is on sale.

Just to be CLEAR here :)bash:), this oil is NOT MST, and NOT 229.51.

Valvoline does have a Synpower 5-30 MST that's 229.51, but this is NOT it.

I've never seen O'Reilly carry the correct 5-40 MST (VV966) oil locally. A search on their site indicates the correct 5-40 MST is 8.99 / qt, and it's a special order item for me and all stores within 50 miles.

Why is this ALWAYS so difficult? :thinking:

Napa, however, usually has the correct stuff, often on sale. Haven't verified what's on sale at the moment.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>Why is this ALWAYS so difficult? <snip>
I don't know, but I have a guess.

The product conforms to the following manufacturer specs

MB 229.3, 229.5
MB 229.31, 229.51
VW 505.01
VW 502.00, & 505.00
Porsche A40
BMW Long Life 04
BMW Long Life 01
(I'm excluding the broader specs like API SN/SM or ACEA C3)
A very small percentage of vehicles require these manufacturer-specific engine oil specs. They're all German. These species of vehicles - most of them on the road today - are dealership-serviced, I bet.

I bet a good portion of them are leased and I bet lease agreements demand dealership service.

I think that's why it's always so hard. I think that's why most private Sprinter can't fathom doing dealership service.... we're not like the people that lease a Porsche or BMW.

Such a concept - leasing a luxury car and having the dealership do all the work it - is foreign to us. We'd never think of living our lives like they do.... leasing, depending on a dealership to take care of us for the life of the vehicle. That's nuts, the Sprinter owner would say.... have the dealership own Sprinter maintenance? That's crazy.

... but it's not crazy if you drive one of those vehicles that are leased and reflect a social status, wealth, power, money....

The only thing our members have in common is that we all complain as loudly as any luxury-leasing suit, and we act just as entitled. Sprinter owners/drivers have different priorities from the "wealthy end of the spectrum," but we can be just as obnoxious as some guy in $700 dollar shoes, sporting next Spring's latest power suit outfit
complete with a watch that requires a watch winder
and costs more than my Sprinter.

-Jon

Last edited:

bobojay

Jeez guys, what's so hard. The VV966 is what the V6 engine takes. That's Valvoline's part number. It's 5w-40.

Earlier someone asked, Is this as good as Mobil 1? Question I'd ask, Is Mobil 1 as good as this?

NBB

I'm not talking about MST, I'm talking about VV966.
VV966 = MST = low ash.

I'm using this in my vehicle. Oil tests look good - but let's get real here folks - maybe 100 engines and 10 million miles each on the different oils in a controlled setting might actually tell me something useful. All the rest is marketing and personal brand preference. All 229.51 oils meet the 229.51 spec...whatever that means in its entirety...

BobLLL

MB does mention Mobil 1 products occasionally. In my opinion Mother Mecedes may not be in bed with Mobil 1, but there is at least a flirtatious relationship going on there. Personally I would let product price within the MB specification guide me to my choice.
Mercedes and Exxon Mobil have moved beyond flirtation. They have been dating seriously for some time. They have joint marketing agreements. They both sponsor the McLaren F1 racing team, for example.

Chandlerazman

I've been fortunate enough to have a local MB Sprinter dealer change my oil and filter for $99+tax. It's a hidden special and my service advisor prints up a secret coupon. It's cheaper for them to do it rather than myself and schlep the used oil for collection.

Düsseldorfer

My O'Reilly ad says Synpower 5-30 is on sale.

Just to be CLEAR here :)bash:), this oil is NOT MST, and NOT 229.51.

Valvoline does have a Synpower 5-30 MST that's 229.51, but this is NOT it.

I've never seen O'Reilly carry the correct 5-40 MST (VV966) oil locally. A search on their site indicates the correct 5-40 MST is 8.99 / qt, and it's a special order item for me and all stores within 50 miles.

Why is this ALWAYS so difficult? :thinking:

Napa, however, usually has the correct stuff, often on sale. Haven't verified what's on sale at the moment.
First step, calm down.

The website does not show the sale price, because you can only get the sale price in stores.

The Synpower 5W40 is the correct weight and 229.51 specification. The picture in the ad is of the 5W30 bottle, but all Synpower is on sale.

If your local store doesn't carry it, ask the kid at the desk to order you some from the warehouse.

Nothing difficult about it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom