PDA

View Full Version : Add a Slider??

68protour
01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey I just wanted to throw out the idea of adding a slider to my Sprinter 144. I love my shorter 144 for all around driving and parking but when it's time to camp it sure would be nice to have the extra inside room of a 170. I know it might sound crazy but let's talk about it.
I'm thinking driver side where the optional sliding door opening would have been. I would think the unibody should be able to handle the doorway opening removed?? When the slider is in I would want the van to look completely shock (normal). So the cutout skin would be the outside skin of the slider. The area behind the driver seat seems to be the place everone uses for cabs, sink, micro & refrig, wouldn't be cool if that would slid out about two and a half feet and give us more floor space?

sikwan
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I would think so too. Maybe Richard (Altered Sprinter) can chime in a talk more about whether MB utilizes more bracing when the driver's side door is removed. I wouldn't think they would since the van is a modular design.

How much of a slide (out) are you thinking about putting in? Probably the depth of the counter space?

68protour
01-17-2008, 08:25 PM
The depth of a counter would be about right. I think this might be a lot easier with a van that already had a driver side door. Than you could use the jamb seals that would already be there. Getting it to seal tight when closed with no wind noise or rain entering should be high prioity. Next question is how far up the side of the van to go. May use the seam between standard roof line and the high roof joint?

Altered Sprinter
01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
OK sliders are available and making one is not complicated it depends on your needs the sliders common are hand crank operated, electric versions are available.
Winnebago in the US have just released a 2008 Sprinter with this concept.
I am speculating the idea started with caravans with expanders concept, called space savers, as similar to this Mercedes in photo format. \Design concepts are almost endless weight is not increased this much as to frame less technology being used with the use of glass and carbon fiber , abs plastics etc.
Richard

Last two photos Australian design concepts

jdcaples
01-18-2008, 01:07 AM
I think I'd rather have two rear axles than a dual-wheel axle.... hmm. too bad it's not generally available.

Altered Sprinter
01-18-2008, 01:58 AM
I think I'd rather have two rear axles than a dual-wheel axle.... hmm. too bad it's not generally available.
It is..but no one is developing it onto a Sprinter chassis..Stateside
Richard

jdcaples
01-18-2008, 02:29 AM
It is..but no one is developing it onto a Sprinter chassis..Stateside
Richard

Not to be too much of a nitpick, but read your statement as "exlcusively available outside of North America," not "generally available." :)

If i were rich and board I'd try to string several of those together and make a mini-road train...

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
01-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Ha!:lol: you can't fool me that Shell 65 mtrs long rig is an Aussie one x4 It's a baby here is the opposite side of the same truck, it's parked up at Katernine.

BP Well you count them

Last photo taken Big mack titan Longest road train in the whole wide world 1.5 miles long weighs over 1300 ton towing 113 trailers .. Hows that for sliding into the record book of 2006.Aussie,Aussie Aussie... Oi.Oi,Oi .

If Raving in the out-back back of Burke, where the land is one, and you are one, in the land of the never, never, and your heading on a 100 Mile straight away! and see a road train bearing down on at you doing 90 Mile an hour:eek: don't worry there mate, it ain't no mirage.. just pull over and grab a cold one triple X or two, from the Esky!!!cause the Bull dust will take a good part of 30 Minutes to pass on bye, before you can see the difference between Vertical and Horizontal.. East or West of the Pilbra, which is why we have over sized Roo Bars to catch Tea, on the Hop:popcorn: as no Mac's being on the go! in the middle of no where land, that we call the Never, Never,cause your never sure :thinking: where your at anyways:rant: GPS your dreaming ,there's that much iron ore about nothing works , so Go with the Flow and park your rig under The red, red sun.. pull out the slider.. and fill up the full sized fridge 240 volts,with a slab, crack another tinny and lay back, enjoy,the Eve of a Blood Red Crimson Sunset , But don't forget to set the trip wire for Morning brecky' The kookaburras will wake you up at Dawn, for another day of Fun .
Gee Jon can't you come up with a local rig.:smilewink:
Richard

jdcaples
01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Gee Jon can't you come up with a local rig.:smilewink:
Richard

Clearly a field trip is indicate. Maybe after the income taxes are paid in April, I'll see about getting myself on a plane. I wanna see toilets flush counter-clockwise and take some pictures of sunburnt roadtrains and remnants of 'roo on the bar... maybe make it in time for the Henley on the Todd Boat Regatta. I've always wanted to see a "bite rice."

:)

mobileoilchange
01-21-2008, 02:07 AM
LOOK At that CUMMINS Powered Kenworth!
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5776

Altered Sprinter
01-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Clearly a field trip is indicate. Maybe after the income taxes are paid in April, I'll see about getting myself on a plane. I wanna see toilets flush counter-clockwise and take some pictures of sunburnt roadtrains and remnants of 'roo on the bar... maybe make it in time for the Henley on the Todd Boat Regatta. I've always wanted to see a "bite rice."

:) Toilet flush:laughing: counter clock wise your been watching to much of the myth busters
Boat regatta is this the ref to the dry river boat race???? Fosters and VB work best work best but the captain usually ends up going off course.
Richard