PDA

View Full Version : Replacement key

Peter s
03-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2006 (old shape) 208 CDI Sprinter, with only one working key.

I have been offered an identical used but working replacement key (see photo) for a good price. Question is, will I be able to get it reprogrammed to work on my vehicle. I realise that I will have to get a new cut key fitted too.

I'm in the Uk (Manchester), if this can be done, can I avoid going to Mercedes.

Can't paste in the photo here, I'll try again after posting, but the key has two buttons, lock/unlock, and the key folds away within the fob.

Peter S

autostaretx
03-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Can an existing key be reprogrammed to operate your Sprinter?
(a) The US service manual describes the procedure for programming the Sprinter to accept that key for remote operation of the doors ... see below. Note that this does NOT allow the key to Start the Sprinter.

(b) The usual recommended pathway for a Starter key is to visit a good locksmith... you can buy a "cloned" key... the blade is cut to match your existing key, and the "chip" of the new key is "burned" to match your existing key. The Sprinter than thinks you're using your original key, and does not require reprogramming. Here in the US, the cost for this path varies between $40 and $75.

(c) i sincerely doubt that you can use the "second hand" key to *start* your Sprinter.

Remote Entry Key Authorization:

good luck
--dick

Peter s
03-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks Dick,

The vehicle is ex mobility, and has many adaptations.

The original key barrell has been sealed off, and over on the other side of the steering wheel a 'transponder' reader has been fitted with ignition and start buttons. The key is places in a made to measure letter box style slot (this is why I wanted to get the exact same size style key) and the vehicle is started without the use of the metal actual key, so I never use the actual key anyway.

I suppose I just need the transponder, but I'm not sure that it will be read without being in the correct key fob housing.

Many thanks for your reply

Peter S

autostaretx
03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Ah... now we have the whole scenario... not the assumption of "typical Sprinter".
What i'd do in your situation: (a) locate a locksmith capable of "cloning" the key (the RFID transponder chip).
(b) he wouldn't have to cut a mechanical key (although you might like some for the exterior doors)
(b.1) test the new key by inserting it "backwards" (head-first) into the slot, and see if the van starts
(c) Cut the chip-containing head/fob/bow off the new key
(d) whittle an appropriately-sized black lump (or dismantle any used one) from balsa wood
(e) test for fit in the slot, adjust
(f) cut it in half, hollow out a (c)-sized hole,
(g) place the new chip-carrying key head there.
(h) Glue the halves back together.
(i) test (again)... and (hopefully) drive away happy

The above is how i'd approach it... if "(b.1)" worked, lazy old me might stop there (perhaps wrap the key in duct tape so it doesn't bounce out)
Instead of balsa wood, i might use soft plastic, or use the original key (or an available spare) to create a mold, then cast replicas from appropriate materials (clear resin? casting epoxy?)... the replicas could be cast with the new key(s) molded in place.

If the slot is fitted to sense the physical shape/size of the flip-key body, then you'd need good replicas.
If you don't need the mechanical metal flip-key or remote door entry function at all (i.e. you're just trying to start), then you could gut the contents of any MB key flip-key fob and use it instead of a whittled/cast replica. Simply lay the "new key" inside the now-hollow shell.

You could even go to the locksmith, point him at the slot and say "make me additional keys"... and let him solve the fiddly-bits (which might even be viewed as "fun"). Or local woodcarvers.. you could end up with works of art.

--dick

Peter s
03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Dick,

Some good ideas here, I'll let you know how I go on.

Peter S

PS - if I create any works of art I'll post a photo - ha!

autostaretx
03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
The 7th message in this thread: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230475#post230475
indicates that a Dodge dealer might make and program a new key for $100
...but (as the thread says) pricing may vary .. and i don't know from that note if it's the RKE (remote key entry) lump you have, or the simpler "chipped" key.
But, coming from Dodge, it will be a *different* RFID chip, so the Sprinter would require reprogramming.

--dick

Peter s
03-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Great news.

I've just been to my local high street key cutter and shoe repair shop 'Timpsons'.

They have cut me a completely new key, and copied my transponder from my working key into the new key, all for 25.00.

Guess what... It works perfectly!!!!

Happy boy

Peter S

dubyajayes
03-10-2013, 12:41 PM
My (purchased used) Dodge Sprinter had only one key. My local Dodge dealer (in Georgia, USA) was able to get me a key but not program it. A different Dodge dealer was authorized and could "print" the key. All together, about $100.
walt

lucian
01-27-2014, 03:33 AM
So here what you do. Since you can not get a reliable chip clone, hide the original key you have in the van. Clone the metal. Get in the van and use the original key. Problem solved.

2 cents

:)