PDA

View Full Version : First Code - 2010 - 2500 NCV3

psalm66
02-28-2013, 01:19 AM
First Code for my Vehicle - ScanGage shows 2 stored codes: FRZD and U3FFF. Light stays on while vehicle is running. A few days ago there were no stored codes so pretty sure these 2 codes are related to the current event. Van runs good and no obvious problems other than this light staying on driving home tonight. :thinking:

Thanks for your help.

sailquik
02-28-2013, 03:20 AM
psalm66,
FRZD is the ScanGuage II code for "Freeze Data".
Not at all sure why that's coming up on your ScanGauge II.
What firmware version do you have in your ScanGuage II.
Did you buy it recently, or have you sent the SG-II in for the latest firmware upgrade?
U3FFF is something in the transmission module, but I could not find anything specific.
How many miles are on your 2010 Sprinter?
Might be worthwhile to take it to a Freightliner Dealer and have them read the codes.
Or, better still, take it to a knowledgeable Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer and have them run the
full diagnostics using the MB Star Diagnosis System (SDS) with the Sprinter adapters.
It could be nothing, perhaps a glitch in the ScanGauge II, but the CEL is a little worrisome.
Have you started your Sprinter at least 5 times since the CEL light came on?
The CEL will often clear and no codes will be found after 3-5 on/off cycles.
I would suggest NOT trying to erase the code (s) with the Scan Gauge II.
If they are going to be erased, let the MB SDS system do that!
Roger

psalm66
03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Have an appointment with a FL dealer early next week to look at it. Thought someone else on the Forum would have experienced something like this but apparently not. Drove it today and the light remains on (Roger - the mileage is in the picture) so it's not intermittent. :idunno:
Service guy just asked if there were any "symptoms" other then the light being on and I said no.

I'll make a post to let you guys know what i find out after next Monday, assuming they are able to diagnose it by then. Looks like a ScanGage is useful for monitoring operating conditions but not much use in this situation diagnostically speaking.

jdcaples
03-02-2013, 12:18 AM
<snip> Looks like a ScanGage is useful for monitoring operating conditions but not much use in this situation diagnostically speaking.

Please vote when your personal verdict is in:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6499

-Jon

sailquik
03-02-2013, 01:41 AM
psalm66,
Have you used your ScanGauge II to look at all the important PIDs to see if they are all
in the normal range?
MAP/boost 14.6 (@ sea level) to 35-37 PSIA @ 99% LOD and > 2800 RPMs/ Bst 0-22 PSIG)
Ambient Temp matches the Outside Air Temp in the Sprinter's display.
Coolant temp (Deg.F)= normal range (180-185 Deg. F for T1N OM-612/647) 188-193 deg. F for the later NCV3 V6 OM-642.
Actually, it would be a good idea if you have a ScanGauge II to go through all the PIDs that the SGII can see in a Sprinter and write them down for future reference.
Is the ScanGauge II a diagnostic tool......NO!
Can the Scan Gauge II help you to diagnose what system in your Sprinter is having an issue
the may cause LHM...... For sure!
Roger

psalm66
03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Jon - I'll visit that survey in the future. Thanks. For the record, I do like the ScanGauge II and recommend it to Sprintah owners!.

Great questions Roger!
The truth is - I got a ScanGauge II bceause of reader's comments in this forum. Used the forum to figure out where to plug it in, install it, fix the plug in" cover to accommodate the connecting wire and carefully looked at reader's comments on which settings to use. Hardly read the manual and wouldn't know a PID from a P**!
The questions you have asked are good but I can't answer them due to lack of spending the time to get knowledgeable. I do like the LOD and engine (water?) temperature (192F is good) feature but don't use it for much more.

As far as updating the thing by sending it in - I'm clueless as to how to know when to do this. Now if you ask me about other topics like ... I can't remember :snore: ... we could have a real conversation. Sorta. Don't give up on me!

psalm66,
Have you used your ScanGauge II to look at all the important PIDs to see if they are all
in the normal range?
MAP/boost 14.6 (@ sea level) to 35-37 PSIA @ 99% LOD and > 2800 RPMs/ Bst 0-22 PSIG)
Ambient Temp matches the Outside Air Temp in the Sprinter's display.
Coolant temp (Deg.F)= normal range (180-185 Deg. F for T1N OM-612/647) 188-193 deg. F for the later NCV3 V6 OM-642.
Actually, it would be a good idea if you have a ScanGauge II to go through all the PIDs that the SGII can see in a Sprinter and write them down for future reference.
Is the ScanGauge II a diagnostic tool......NO!
Can the Scan Gauge II help you to diagnose what system in your Sprinter is having an issue
the may cause LHM...... For sure!
Roger

psalm66
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Got a call to pick up the van - problem was a NOX sensor. They replaced it and updated the vehicle with some computer updates. Not all CELs (Check Engine Lights) are created equal.

All in all, when one considers I have driven this the equivalent of 1 time around the earth, a simple sensor failure is not a big deal. :bounce:

sailquik
03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
psalm66,
Glad to hear it was easily repaired.
Was it repaired at the Freightliner dealer under warranty?
How many miles do you have on your Sprinter?
A bad NOX sensor would certainly cause some issues and we now know it will set LHM.
Thanks for sharing your experience here!
Roger

psalm66
03-05-2013, 10:59 PM
psalm66,
Glad to hear it was easily repaired.
Was it repaired at the Freightliner dealer under warranty?
How many miles do you have on your Sprinter?
A bad NOX sensor would certainly cause some issues and we now know it will set LHM.
Thanks for sharing your experience here!
Roger

Yes, it was covered under the warranty. No charge! :bow:
26,000 or so.
No LHM but engine light continually on - yes.
Back to driving Big Green with that Freightliner smile!