PDA

View Full Version : No turn signals question

Eric33
02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Ok, new owner and not a clue. Found the ignition and fuel filler so I am on my way with my motorcycles in the back!

Driving a few days and realize the turn signals, both directions are not working, relay flasher going at double the normal rate. Check the turn signals outside and neither works, front or rear. Nothing lighting on the dash either.
The hazard flashers work fine and light the dash indicators.
No bad fuses found, relay making clicking sound.

Anyone give me an idea where to look? By the way I suck at electrical problems, so I am trying to minimize the damage I might do.

Thanks,

autostaretx
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
relay flasher going at double the normal rate.
... so the Sprinter "knows" something is wrong...
Since no bulbs are working (you didn't specify front/back, so that's an assumption), and it's happening in both directions (which lets out "one bulb") we have a variety of choices:
(a) short-circuit (or damaged turn signal switch) somewhere that's "seen" by both sides
(b) previous owner "did you a favor" and replaced all of the burned out bulbs... incorrectly.
We've found that using generic bulbs can cause similar problems.. if both sides were "fixed", then that alone could do this.
Simply putting bulbs in "upside down" (for the dual-filament stop/tail bulbs) can cause confusing issues.
A bad (or forgot to reconnect) ground (brown wire) on the lamp units can do it

No bad fuses found,
You might start by simply unplugging/plugging the turn signal relay ... it could just be "bad contacts"

--dick

Boz Staggs
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm a new owner too...I noticed that after I turn the hazards on, my turn signals would exhibit the same symptoms that you described. After I clicked the hazards on and off a few times, the turn signals came back. It seems like the hazard button may get stuck somehow and interrupt the signal. It's not a "fix" but you could give it a try, if you haven't already.

maxextz
02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
the flasher relay is fragile junk.usually they flash fast when one of the bulbs is blown or corroded contacts.check that then maybe a new relay.

Amboman
02-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Lead is used on globes as a contact point.
If it hasn't blown its mixed with condensation and created a high resistance.

Eric33
02-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Just got computer signal to hook up and was excited to have a look into the apparently deep pool of resources you guys can provide to a newbie.

I will look at all the areas you guys covered and eliminate them one by one and try the flasher use fix also. Would never even have thought of that.
Thanks Autostar, Boz, Max and Ambo. I will let you know if I find it or fail. It may take me a bit as I am on the road, literally, traveling and racing the motorcycle. So it is a trailside fix as we say on the bikes.
Thanks again,

Eric33
02-28-2013, 11:44 AM
FYI, the areas you guys gave me to look for my turn signal problem were perfect.
I cleaned and checked all those things mentioned and checked the signal operation after each individual attempt.
It apparently is the turn signal switch on the column and I found that by trying the hazard switch idea given by Boz. I got it to work intermittenly while playing with the turn switch and hazard switch. At least now I know where to work to solve the problem. I do have one turn signal now most of the time. Before I had neither.
Thanks to all of you that gave me ideas.

1cylshort
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
You might want to replace the relay anyways. My relay was going bad, but if I'd fiddle with the turn signal stick, I could get it to work for about 5 blinks- then dead. As a previous poster inferred, the relays are cheezy junk, or they just wear out.

maxextz
02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
You might want to replace the relay anyways. My relay was going bad, but if I'd fiddle with the turn signal stick, I could get it to work for about 5 blinks- then dead. As a previous poster inferred, the relays are cheezy junk, or they just wear out.

this is exactly what happened with mine.eliminate this relay first before spending money and work on parts that are probably fine.
:2cents:

Eric33
03-05-2013, 09:03 AM
I will replace the relays as insurance.
Thanks again to all of you.

PATECO
02-27-2018, 07:44 PM
My turn signals work normally, but my hazards do not. If I turn on the hazards, I get no hazard lights, and no turn signals. It happened to me last night after valet parking the van at a concert event. When I got her back from valet, I had no turn signals. Figured it out after a few minutes, but the valet must have tried to turn on the hazards. What could cause this, and how would you fix it?

Nautamaran
02-28-2018, 04:11 AM
The Hazard Signal switch disconnects power to the Turn Indicator switches, so it’s normal for the turn stalk to have no effect.
Hazards have their own fuse too, so likely it’s simply blown?
Fuse Block #1 (under the steering column), Position #9, 15 amp fuse.

-dave