PDA

View Full Version : Delay wiper switch install

spark949
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
I love my Sprinter, but there a a few things on it that irritate me because of how they work or where they are. You would think that a van costing this much would have the needed items in the correct place or work like almost every other vehicle. Things like keyed door locks on all doors, button unlocks next to the electric window switches, not on the dash, heater controls that make sense. But one of the top gripes I have is the intermittent wiper switch. A 5 second delay for the only option on intermittent drives me crazy. Is there a replacement turn signal/wiper switch that has the adjustable delay I can replace this with? Sorry for the short rant, I could go on about a few other 1970s amenities on this van but for now, I'd like delay wipers like I had on all the other vehicles I owned since the 70s.

icarus
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
^At the risk of sounding like a Rushie,, Ditto that! I hate the intermittent function. I also hate that I am accidentally hitting it and or the cruise!

Icarus

Aqua Puttana
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree completely that Mercedes is being very lazy to not supply your Sprinter with a variable control delayed wiper available to the operator. Maybe they had an excuse with the T1N's in that it wasn't offered early on so that it would take some changes to add after the fact. For the 2007 and up NVC3's, at the price they ask for a Sprinter it is next to criminal. Delayed wipers may have been a cutting edge option in the 70's... not so much now.

At one time I found it to be an aggravation. I know that a smart guy could change a couple components and get himself the adjustable delay. That said, with my T1N, between the bump to wipe and the fixed delay I have learned to cope.

That doesn't mean I let MB off the hook on this one though. With all the other over-engineered stuff in the Sprinter they coudn't even include a simple adjustable delay? :dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

Really??? :bash:

Have fun. vic

maxextz
02-26-2013, 11:12 PM
i hate mine too:thumbdown:.ive the rain sensor and sometimes it wipes with no rain or a tiny droplet,other times when its actually needed its too slow and i have to manually do it myself.
we have a vw car and it has adjustable delay which is great.
:popcorn:

spark949
03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Not to be a pest...but does anyone know of a replacement adjustable wiper delay switch?

Aqua Puttana
03-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Not to be a pest...but does anyone know of a replacement adjustable wiper delay switch?
We never did answer your question, did we?

I have yet to see any mention of an adjustable time delay wiper switch replacement on the forums. The possibility of modifying the module to achieve it has been discussed, but not to the point of actual design and install that I recall.

Max's comments reminded me of the auto option. Given that option, maybe MB feels that if a customer wants fully adjustable wipers then they should order their far superior automatic option. Other than that they'll get the delay we (MB) think is best. :dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

Sorry I can't offer more. vic

rockysquirrel
03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I created a thread about this same topic over 3 1/2 years ago and nothing has changed. http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6272

I find it unbelievable that MB does not have variable intermittent wipers as standard on the Sprinter. Worst case a MB accessory should be available as a dealer installed option. I owned a Nissan in the 1990's that did not come with variable intermittent wipers but for $50 I was able to buy the accessory through the parts department and install it myself. It looked just like it would have come from the factory with a replacement column stalk and an amplifier module that plugged into the wiper motor.

It is time to get with the times. Even GM has them on the Express and Savana vans.

spark949
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
And the damn horn does not work unless the key is on....

pfflyer
04-06-2013, 04:37 PM
^At the risk of sounding like a Rushie,, Ditto that! I hate the intermittent function. I also hate that I am accidentally hitting it and or the cruise!

Icarus

What risk? I wish more sounded like El-Rushbo. Sorry but that is all I have to add to this thread except for "dittos" I hate it too. I do like the bump feature though.

Dougflas
04-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Here is a circuit that appears that it'll work. I will make one and try it.

Dougflas
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Here is a kit you can purchase

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=intermittent+wiper+kits&v_t=wscreen-smallbusiness-w&b=image%3Fs_it%3Dtopsearchbox.search%26v_t%3Dwscre en-smallbusiness-w%26q%3Dintermittent%2Bwiper%2Bkits%26oreq%3Df9241 2fad0154f5cad1faa5a6cc474b9&img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apogeekits.com%2Fimages%2Fwin dshield_wipers_timer.JPG&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apogeekits.com%2Fwindshield_ wiper_control.htm&width=120&height=90&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners-tbn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRylVUPPF yBvTa4Al7nEWoMT8ijnf1zcrcb_V2bv5G6AMhdtv0u6GjuuQ&imgWidth=350&imgHeight=263&imgSize=13865&imgTitle=intermittent+wiper+kits

Charliektm400exc
11-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Here is a circuit that appears that it'll work. I will make one and try it.

So did it work?

Dougflas
11-29-2013, 09:46 PM
So did it work?

Have not tried yet.I wastoo busy. I am now retired so I have time shortly.