PDA

View Full Version : Just cleaned my EGR and cooler

dubyajayes
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
I just cleaned the EGR actuator valve and EGR cooler and I'm glad I did although I had no alarms, codes or other issues. I have an RV on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 chassis, 3.0 diesel with 65K on it. We travel about 15K a year. When I removed the cooler-EGR assembly, there was a heavy covering of dry soot in the valve area, fairly dry, not greasy or oily. But the cooler entry end was so covered with soot that it looked like a slice of burned toast was laid on it, you could not see the vanes. The exit end was quite covered as well but you could see the cooling vanes. When I blew out the cooler (about 35lbs air pressure from my compressor), it looked like I was burning tires, so much soot blew out. I continued blowing until no more soot came out even when I tapped lightly on the housing, then I washed the unit until the water was clear. I also cleaned the EGR mounting assembly. I tested the cooler for leaks (none, good), and reinstalled everything. I reused the gaskets, they were in good condition as I was very careful with removal-disassembly. Started the unit, no MILs, no error codes, all is well. Now I wonder if this effort will positively affect my fuel milage and power. I purchased the unit used, I don't know how well it was maintained. I do know the oil was absolutely filthy. When I drained the oil I flushed out the crankcase with a gals of kerosene just to flush out the crude that I'm sure was in the pan. Considering we travel about 12-15K a year, I probably will make this an off-season maintenance effort.
walt

showkey
02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't know how well it was maintained. I do know the oil was absolutely filthy. When I drained the oil I flushed out the crankcase with a gals of kerosene just to flush out the crude that I'm sure was in the pan.
walt

Sinky, filthy, black as midnight oil is totally normal for diesels. :thumbup:

In the same boat, i am thinking of doing some prevent maintenance on the EGR.

suzieque
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
I just cleaned the EGR actuator valve and EGR cooler and I'm glad I did although I had no alarms, codes or other issues. I have an RV on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 chassis, 3.0 diesel with 65K on it. We travel about 15K a year. When I removed the cooler-EGR assembly, there was a heavy covering of dry soot in the valve area, fairly dry, not greasy or oily. But the cooler entry end was so covered with soot that it looked like a slice of burned toast was laid on it, you could not see the vanes. The exit end was quite covered as well but you could see the cooling vanes. When I blew out the cooler (about 35lbs air pressure from my compressor), it looked like I was burning tires, so much soot blew out. I continued blowing until no more soot came out even when I tapped lightly on the housing, then I washed the unit until the water was clear. I also cleaned the EGR mounting assembly. I tested the cooler for leaks (none, good), and reinstalled everything. I reused the gaskets, they were in good condition as I was very careful with removal-disassembly. Started the unit, no MILs, no error codes, all is well. Now I wonder if this effort will positively affect my fuel milage and power. I purchased the unit used, I don't know how well it was maintained. I do know the oil was absolutely filthy. When I drained the oil I flushed out the crankcase with a gals of kerosene just to flush out the crude that I'm sure was in the pan. Considering we travel about 12-15K a year, I probably will make this an off-season maintenance effort.
walt

post some pictures next time you disassemble! :)