PDA

View Full Version : 2006 cracked manifold leaking coolant

Antnyk
02-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone. I just found this forum and joined. I tried doing a search, but with no success. I have a 2006 sprinter and the intake manifold has a 4" hairline crack along the top of it. It is on top of the curved section before the intake meets the head. You can hardly notice it until you start the engine and immediately see coolant slowly oozing out. Has anyone ever experienced this. I was thinking of grinding a small v in the alluminum manifold along the cracked and applying JB weld.

Aqua Puttana
02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. 50679

I don't recall any other posts about cracked and leaking manifolds. :idunno:

Were I you I'd be tempted to try a JB Weld repair. JB Weld has a fairly high usable temperature range and is very strong. Roughing up the material surface and pre-cleaning with acetone or similar solvent generally improves adhesion.

I sometimes include an imbedded mesh (aluminum screen?) if I want more structural strength.

Drilling a small stop hole at the end(s) of a casting crack will often equalize stresses and prevent further migration of the crack.

Good luck. vic

Antnyk
02-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Has anyone ever heard of coolant jackets around the intake? I have been thinking the egr cooler is leaking into the intake, but wouldn't the negative pressure keep the coolant within the intake and into the cylinders? why would it seem out of a crack?

skydiver007
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I recently had my intake off to replace the gasket which was leaking. The only water passage on the intake is from the back of the head and it does go to the egr. Where it exits the EGR it goes to a pump mounted on the drivers side firewall which pumps coolant to the espar heater mounter under the battery.

I see no reason water would not leak if there was a hole. As far as I could see, none of the water passing through the intake could get to the the cylinders unless your egr gasket has failed. The water passage is bored into the intake and is not part of the air intake. It simply supplies water to cool the egr.

I used the metal JB Weld to repair a broken intercooler and it worked great until I could get a new one, so it would probably work great.

talkinghorse43
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Has anyone ever heard of coolant jackets around the intake? I have been thinking the egr cooler is leaking into the intake, but wouldn't the negative pressure keep the coolant within the intake and into the cylinders? why would it seem out of a crack?

Diesels have an intake that is at atmospheric pressure or above (not like gas engines, which are under vacuum), so liquid in the intake would seep out through a crack.

Amboman
02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Sounds like the engine got hot, have you checked the thermostat operation?