PDA

View Full Version : turbo question

briggie
02-20-2013, 07:48 AM
my turbo has been failing and it finally blew 500 miles from home, and it is sucking the oil out of the crankcase,, what i want to know is does anyone know if i can pull the turbo off and cap the oil flow where the turbo sits on to drive it home, or will there be to much pressure? i have had the turbo off many times so it will be easy to take off,

icarus
02-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Makes one wonder why it has been off so many times?

Icarus

sailquik
02-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Rather than risk MAJOR engine damage.....why not purchase a rebuilt turbocharger......and have it sent to where you are?
Then you can change it out, fix the oil feed to the new turbo, and drive home normally!
Is this the RV with the straight pipe instead of the DPF?
I will echo icarus.....whay has your turbo charger been removed.......at all?
I'm on my 4th Sprinter with > 200k miles traveled in Sprinters, and I've never had any sort of issue with any of the turbochargers!
Roger

briggie
02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
i have a new turbo at home on the shelf,, been removed before to change the oil cooler went bad, and had to remove to change the thing with the arms and flaps cant remember the name" at 600,000 its time

talkinghorse43
02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
600k, impressive!

sailquik
02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
briggie,
For what it will cost for a Uhaul truck and dolly one way, I'd think you could go to the nearest airport and fly home, fly back with the turbo the next day
for less $$.
Or
If airline tickets are too pricey, rent a car, drive home, get turbo, drive back and drop the turbo off at your van and return the car.
Sometimes you have to think a ways outside the box when bad stuff happens.
Good luck!
Sounds like you have an expediter load in your Sprinter and a delivery schedule that's quickly going south....?
Roger

sprintguy
02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Briggie : I know your far from home , but please tow it for the sake of the engine . And your safety , The vehicle really does need the boost pressure to run quasi properly. and if you try to drive it with the turbo chucking oil into the air stream at an abnormal rate it can cause the engine to run away on you , this is bad. even if you could bypass the turbo , you may just be a danger in traffic due to absolutely no power and continuous break downs. Not to mention that the exhaust stream still goes over the turbine wheel causing it to spin.. Please for your safety and the safety of others find a way to tow it back. If you did remove the turbo there is no good way to get the exhaust to go down the pipe , you would have a wide open exhaust under the hood. besides the point that oil pressure can reach 40 - 60 psi when cold and about 15-30 PSI when hot.

Carl

chads
02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
If you were closer to home I would just add some oil to get across town.
500 miles is a long way for that.
It's sounding like fedex could get it to you fastest and get you going.

briggie
02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
thanks guys for the info,, i had someone from home overnight me my other turbo, and i put it in along the road at a truck stop,, was not the easiest job along the road, but i got it done, it took me about 12 hours,

chads
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Glad you got it going.
I had thought of pinching down the oil tube to a trickle but not sure if that would of helped anyway.
Chad