PDA

View Full Version : I have radio code-now what?

John484
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
First, I am selling this thing or else I would put in a real radio. Anyway, found my code from the list HKPierce posted(gracias!). But I have a radio with no rotary knob, just buttons. My owners manual says " see separate manual" , which is mercedes-speak for screw you. I cant find instructions for inputting the code on my radio on this site, though I know it must be here somewhere. Any help? It's a 2003 nafta sprinter with a tape player radio(seriously, mercedes?)
Thanks!
J

autostaretx
02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Using the forum search for "radio enter code", we find:
------------
how to enter the code:

Use the sound + and - buttons to enter each digit. Use the M button to advance the position to the next digit.

After all 5 digits are showing press-and-hold the M button again and if the code is right the radio will burst into life!

(otherwise it will say "Wait" for 30 minutes, and then revert to "Enter Code")
--------------

good luck
--dick

Amboman
02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
There is a separate radio manual which comes with the books when you purchase the vehicle from new.
I would be surprised if an internet sourced pin will work as i had to pay $22 from the manufacturer's delegate to unlock it.

nathanhdunn
02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
my Aus 2003 came with the radio manual and a little card with the pin nimber in the glovebox. When it says "code", press the "on" button then the numbers using the radio preset buttons from 1 to 6. it will burst to life after the last number is pressed, IF your code is right :-)

I agree with Amboman, any code off the net is unlikely to be right.

If you have problems I can photograph the page in the manual for you.

John484
02-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Hey thanks guys. I put the code in just now and nothing happened, not even a "wait". I will call dealer tomorrow and see if they can help.
Thanks!

djc126
02-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi. I believe you may have to hold down the M button for a few seconds after entering the last digit.

Recently, had to re-enter my code and it took awhile.
Regards,

Throttlejockey
02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Someone is actually going to pay $$$ for one of those?lol
I may have to sell the one I took out of mine.

EZoilburner
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
I entered the code on mine several times (sourced through this forum) and I entered it as described above and yes I did hold the M button for s few seconds, works every time.

jmoller99
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
One of the first things I did when I got my 2002 was replace the radio (now it has a JVC) and the 4 inch dash speakers (the paper was falling apart on them). Then I added 6 1/2 inch speakers above my head and an 8 inch powered Sub-Woofer behind the drivers seat. The original radio that came with the Sprinter (while working), was nothing special. The 4 inch dash speakers, by themselves, really don't work that well (no matter what brand you put in there).

autostaretx
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
any code off the net is unlikely to be right.
..the code in the lists posted to this group matches my code for my VIN.

Many other group members have restored their radios with the posted codes...

good luck
--dick

Amboman
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I sourced those files but the Pin for my radio was four digits, yet all the internet sourced information nominated five digit pins. No, i didn't really enjoy paying for an unlock for a pin which is totally unnecessary. Only going by my own experiences.

kjg912
02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
I sourced codes off the internet upon purchase and it unlocked the radio perfectly. I am, however, planning on replacing the stock unit ASAP.

autostaretx
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
I sourced those files but the Pin for my radio was four digits
I think the files are for the German-built Sprinters with Becker radios.
Australia seems to get a blend of German and Argentinian Sprinters (i forget which VIN digits specify country of origin)
Since yours started life as an ambulance, who knows what radio was "OEM"?

I probably should have said "Many other NAFTA group members" to more clearly express my experience.

--dick

John484
02-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Well I got the radio to input the code, and now I have the dreaded "wait" message. I called local dodge dealership and that was a comedy. I will call the freightliner sprinter folks tomorrow and see if they have another code for me.

autostaretx
02-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Tell ya what... what ARE the last 8 digits of your VIN, and what code are you getting from the lists?
There's always the possibility somebody swapped the radios

I've got lots of copies (fetched from many places) of "the list", so i could check to see if at least they all agree on your VIN's code.

--dick

John484
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I appreciate the offer but I dont think it will work, I called the freightliner sprinter dealer today and he gave me the same code I had been using. Surely, surely no one has swapped radios in my van? If the stocker died and someone put another factory radio in, well what kind of world would let that happen?

bc339
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM
John, you can try Becker Radio for help: http://www.beckerautosound.com/

Just as dick offered, I also have a 900+ page database of the codes. All that's needed are the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Bruce

johnshmit
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Time for upgrade. OEM radio is c**p anywhere

autostaretx
02-22-2013, 03:05 AM
If i were in your shoes... i'd try the code numbers for the VINs immediately preceding and following your VIN.
Perhaps MB got "one out of sync" from their master list.

--dick

Amboman
02-22-2013, 05:26 AM
You will need to access the numbers on the label of the radio which means removing it
and contact the radio manufacturer or their delegate for assistance not MB.

If you don't know how to remove it, please reply.

John484
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help guys, but I am sick of messing with it. I just wanted tunes for this weekend, I have a six hour round trip planned to go ride my dirtbike. After that it is getting parked while it is for sale. The new owner can play with it.
Thanks again
J

Aqua Puttana
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys, but I am sick of messing with it. I just wanted tunes for this weekend, I have a six hour round trip planned to go ride my dirtbike. After that it is getting parked while it is for sale. The new owner can play with it.
Thanks again
J
We once used an Ipod player on the rear seat facing forward. Plugged the power into an inverter. It actually produced some surprisingly good results.

A couple powered computer speakers and a player of any type is another option.

Not getting that OEM radio to work may be a blessing in disguise. Safe travels. vic

135RECORDS
05-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Using the forum search for "radio enter code", we find:
------------
how to enter the code:

Use the sound + and - buttons to enter each digit. Use the M button to advance the position to the next digit.

After all 5 digits are showing press-and-hold the M button again and if the code is right the radio will burst into life!

(otherwise it will say "Wait" for 30 minutes, and then revert to "Enter Code")
--------------

good luck
--dick

Hey Dick,
I have a locked radio, I found my VIN, then my code in the list and input the numbers into the radio but I don't see an "M" button. Sorry if this is a silly question, What is the "M" button?

-Mick

Amboman
05-11-2013, 05:47 AM
Turn radio on and look for "code" text
Just enter the correct numbers in sequence, that is all that is necessary.
If the numbers are incorrect it wont unlock
If you got the numbers off the internet (good luck)
I had to pay $22 for the correct unlock code from the Manufacturer's delegate
I don't know what the M button is either.

John484
05-12-2013, 01:55 AM
I am thinking the M button is the one on right side.
Gentlemen, I appreciate all of the help I got here for my radio problem. In summary, the van was recently sold and the buyer and I were attempting to fire up the radio, which to that point I had never saw operate. He punched the M button repeatedly and it fired up. I guess it was a bit crusty?
I am on my 3rd Sprinter now in less than a year, I think I finally found my keeper. All 3 have had radios that needed the code entered, seriously. I yanked the radio out of my new van and threw it out the window at a truck convoy in the hopes it would be obliterated and sent to hell.
Thanks!