PDA

View Full Version : DAD List

Turbo John
02-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Is there a list of DAD owners by state?

mendonsy
02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
This is the only list that I have seen.
DAD map (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&vps=1&jsv=338b&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=216913090164448708219.0004a33a7726546844634)

Turbo John
02-19-2013, 07:07 PM
DAD map (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&vps=1&jsv=338b&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=216913090164448708219.0004a33a7726546844634)

Never seen that before.........thanks.....I counted about 34 units............China?

Turbo John
02-19-2013, 07:10 PM

I am in Florida.........wrong side of the state but at least its in the state!
How would I get a hold of Doug?

MillionMileSprinter
02-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Never seen that before.........thanks.....I counted about 34 units............China?

How about the one in the middle of the Atlantic? ha ha ha :lol:

Dougflas
02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I am in Florida.........wrong side of the state but at least its in the state!
How would I get a hold of Doug?

You lookin' for me?

Turbo John
02-20-2013, 12:22 AM
You lookin' for me?

Yea you man............LOL

I am over in the Vero area........I would like to know somebody that might be able to help me in case I get caught somewhere. I am not sure what all you can do with the DAD tool. I am wanting to look at problematic codes etc.

For example my Sprinter would not start the other day after we had a cold spell here in Florida. I know it has to do with the SKREEM as all the fuses were ok.
I disconnected and reconnected the battery and it started ( thanks to the forum) or I would not have known what to do. So right now I am not sure if this will happen again and could a diagnostic tool tel me.

Looks like I need to do something to replace or correct. Not sure what to do. I am sure it will happen again.

I did replace the battery with an expensive AGM which I know will not discharge like a wet cell.
It seems like if my van sits more than two days it gives me trouble even though I have a batt. minder on it.

I decided just to replace the Batt and see if I have any more problems or this took care of it.

I added another ground strap as well.

Doc A says these problems seem to occur to those whose batt. is suspect. I will admit to not keeping it fully charged at times.

Will see what happens over the next few weeks.

My van used to start in MINUS 0 degree weather very easily. We have one cold snap here in Florida and it decides not to start.............ughhh

Anyway thanks to the forum I am getting thinks fixed and figured out. Over all I have not has much problem with the truck in 9 years........

I have only 76,000 miles on it and now things are starting to happen to the van........must be that time of its life.......

mendonsy
02-20-2013, 01:38 AM
How about the one in the middle of the Atlantic? ha ha ha :lol:
You don't suppose those might be a mistake?? :doh:
The one floating in the Atlantic is hkpierce. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/images/smilies/animated/fish2.gif:lol:

SprinterHelp
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
add to DRB III! THOMPSON DIAGNOSTICS, LINCOLWAY, Mishawaka, Indiana

hkpierce
02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
You don't suppose those might be a mistake?? :doh:
The one floating in the Atlantic is hkpierce.

Curious. It says that it was updated June 15, 2012. That wasn't me. My DAD is currently floating near Monterey Bay.

Dougflas
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Yea you man............LOL

I am over in the Vero area........I would like to know somebody that might be able to help me in case I get caught somewhere. I am not sure what all you can do with the DAD tool. I am wanting to look at problematic codes etc.

For example my Sprinter would not start the other day after we had a cold spell here in Florida. I know it has to do with the SKREEM as all the fuses were ok.
I disconnected and reconnected the battery and it started ( thanks to the forum) or I would not have known what to do. So right now I am not sure if this will happen again and could a diagnostic tool tel me.

Looks like I need to do something to replace or correct. Not sure what to do. I am sure it will happen again.

I did replace the battery with an expensive AGM which I know will not discharge like a wet cell.
It seems like if my van sits more than two days it gives me trouble even though I have a batt. minder on it.

I decided just to replace the Batt and see if I have any more problems or this took care of it.

I added another ground strap as well.

Doc A says these problems seem to occur to those whose batt. is suspect. I will admit to not keeping it fully charged at times.

Will see what happens over the next few weeks.

My van used to start in MINUS 0 degree weather very easily. We have one cold snap here in Florida and it decides not to start.............ughhh

Anyway thanks to the forum I am getting thinks fixed and figured out. Over all I have not has much problem with the truck in 9 years........

I have only 76,000 miles on it and now things are starting to happen to the van........must be that time of its life.......

You could remove the 10mm nut on the positive battery terminal and measure the current drain. Give the vehicle a couple of minutes to wake the modules up and have them "sleep" on their own.

Turbo John
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
You could remove the 10mm nut on the positive battery terminal and measure the current drain. Give the vehicle a couple of minutes to wake the modules up and have them "sleep" on their own.

I put a new AGM Battery and I am thinking that will do the trick. I am going to check for current draw thru the voltmeter just for curiosity.

autostaretx
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I am going to check for current draw thru the voltmeter just for curiosity.
Sounds like it's time for my periodic "$60-or-less clamp-around DC ammeter" posting:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482369000P

Allows measurements like this without disconnecting anything, the jaws open to clip around the cables.
And it allows measuring glow plug draw (which an in-line voltmeter's scale can't handle)

It's also a fully-functional volt/ohm meter.

--dick

SprinterHelp
02-22-2013, 07:30 AM
add to DRB III! THOMPSON DIAGNOSTICS, LINCOLWAY, Mishawaka, Indiana

Sorry my bad thats Thompsons Diagnostic Service on McKinley in Mishawaka, In:idunno:

Turbo John
02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Sounds like it's time for my periodic "$60-or-less clamp-around DC ammeter" posting:

Allows measurements like this without disconnecting anything, the jaws open to clip around the cables.
And it allows measuring glow plug draw (which an in-line voltmeter's scale can't handle)

--dick

The way I would normally do this is to disconnect the Negative cable and run the voltmeter inline to check the current draw with everything off.

1hen2ducks
04-03-2013, 05:29 AM

--dick

Dick, Will that, or similar ammeter, scale down enough to read the glow plugs individually ?
Approx what should they read, each ?

teamtexas
04-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Dick, Will that, or similar ammeter, scale down enough to read the glow plugs individually ?
Being the meter is digital, it should give an accurate reading on the 40A DC scale all the way down to 0.0. I have the glow plugs fused through a modified relay fuse block with a 20A fuse on each. The draw must be less then that. I don't own this meter, but it looks like just what I've been looking for.

Dan

Turbo John
04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that every electrical gremlin I have seen over the past year has not returned since I put in a new AGM from roebucks. Not one starting issue etc. I took out a perfectly good "interstate" which was a year old that showed good voltage and replaced it. End of all my non starting issues etc. I think many times we do not give enough credence to just how good the battery has to be in the Sprinter.......it has to be perfect.
An AGM I think is a better fit for these vans especially if they sit for a week or longer without running. The rate of discharge for an AGM is slow compared to a conventional wet cell and I think that the issue for many problems/ gremlins etc

autostaretx
04-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Yes, the clamp-around ammeter will scale *waay* down... it even reads the 35 to 50 milliamp draw of the Sprinter at rest (key off and gone).

If memory serves, the plugs (all five) start off at about 90 amps, then, as they heat up, their resistance increases and the current drops to about 60 to 65 amps.
So that makes it 18 amps each when cold, 12 amps or so when hot. (since i was measuring the entire Sprinter's draw, the plugs may be a schooch less).

--dick