PDA

View Full Version : Start up issues

Headlock
02-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Hey there gang. I recently purchased a 2005 Sprinter and there haven't been any problems so far except this morning. I tried to start it and it produced a clicking sound. It also seems to be emitting a high pitched tone from somewhere in the engine. The interior lights still turn on and the dash indicator lights still come on but with irregularity. Anyone dealt with this before? I had the transmission service under a month ago and the dealer checked the whole thing out before I purchased it. Never owned a diesel. Never owned a Sprinter. Way pumped with a lil' road bump.:idunno:
Cheers.

glasseye
02-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Does it crank or does nothing move?

If all you hear is a clicking sound, that's probably the starter solenoid actuating but the starter's not turning. This means several things, but the most likely scenarios are that either your battery is toast, the connection from the batter to the starter is poor, or you starter is toast. Be wary of jump starting your Sprinter. Far better you charge the battery with the negative lead disconnected, wait until it's charged and try starting it.

The high pitched sound you hear is probably the EGR valve. If you open the hood and listen, you'll find the EGR valve at the front of the vehicle on the passenger side. If's a light coloured metal box a few inches square. Normally, you don't hear this over the various other engine sounds.

autostaretx
02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
..it could also be a bad ground strap between the engine and frame, but most likely it's what glasseye listed

There is also a "starter relay" on the panel on the side of the driver seat pedestal ("12" in this drawing).

--dick

Throttlejockey
02-18-2013, 09:39 PM
My van did this over a month ago. I think it was pissed because I didn't plug it in overnight.
Thought it was the battery but a jump did nothing. I ended up banging on the starter a few times with a plastic mallet and it started right up. No issues since.

Amboman
02-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Battery is suspect, measure voltages