Sound 20 ipod interface?

j5races

Hello all,

I looked a little and cant find much talk about the sound 20 with aux input. Does the sound 20 have RCA plugs in the back or will that becker harness mentioned here http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806&highlight=sound+20+ipod work with the sound 20?

The ultimate setup for me would be a Ipod interface that will allow the sterring wheel controls to change songs, charge the ipod, as well as a aux input for my Sirius radio, and then a blue tooth interface to top it off :bounce:

Does this part http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4491.html work with the sound 20? Will it still allow the factory changer to work (not a big deal it it replaces the factory changer)?

I am open to other parts if something else is out that will plug/splice into the factory radio to use my ipod and control it from the factory radio.

Last thing, do i need to buy brackets to pull the sound 20 out ofthe dash to work on it, and if so where do i get them.

Thanks in advacne, what an awesome forum!!! :D

Jon

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Jon:

Best thing to do is to remove the radio and see for yourself. It's not that hard to remove according to some of the posts I've read in the NCV3 WriteUp section.

OTOH, I can assure you that there will NOT be any RCA's in the back. :smilewink:

j5races

Ok, do I need those clips that I saw in the other thread or do I just need to remove the plasti trim and it is bolted in?

Thanks

kmessinger

This seems like good info. Maybe it will help.

2003-2006 Dodge Sprinter DIN Mount Installation Kit

Part Number: CR1290B

Features:
Accommodates DIN mount only
Match Factory Dash Contour
High Strength Plastic
Coated w/ Flat Black Paint

Matching Harness: VW01B
Matching Antenna Adapter: VWAB

Vehicle Applications:
2003-2006 Dodge Sprinter

Available at specialty retailers nationwide. Visit www.scosche.com for complete dealer listing and additional product information.

They seem to have a lot of ipod stuff on their site.

Regards,
Keith

BigBlueBus

Although the Sprinter is not listed, you would have to buy one on loan to try out. If you want full interface, this is the way to go but it's expensive:
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-459-193-mercedes-benz-2005-to-2007-ipod-interface-dtz-benz-211.aspx

If you just want and aux input, you can do this yourself for free in about 30 minutes, read my post about how I did my aux input without buying any MB parts:
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17190#post17190

Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, just ask.

John

j5races

Although the Sprinter is not listed, you would have to buy one on loan to try out. If you want full interface, this is the way to go but it's expensive:
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-459-193-mercedes-benz-2005-to-2007-ipod-interface-dtz-benz-211.aspx

If you just want and aux input, you can do this yourself for free in about 30 minutes, read my post about how I did my aux input without buying any MB parts:
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17190#post17190

Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, just ask.

John
I saw the writeup on the aux input but you have a Sound 5, is the wiring the same for the Sound 20? I reallly want that mercedes interface i wonder if it allows the steering wheel controls to change songs.

Thanks

BigBlueBus

I saw the writeup on the aux input but you have a Sound 5, is the wiring the same for the Sound 20? You'll have to pull your radio out (very, very simple) and compare the terminals in the back of yours with the pictures in that post.

I reallly want that mercedes interface i wonder if it allows the steering wheel controls to change songs.

Thanks
Your last question is anyone's guess, I don't think anyone has tried this yet. If they will let you buy an interface on loan, that would be great. Keep us posted.

John

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I am in the process of taking delivery on a new 2008, 170" Sprinter. I have been researching this since we ordered it last July. In the process i have found this link: http://www.neocaraudio.com/advanced...ct_vehicle_model=323&select_vehicle_year=2008
It works with Mercedes radios in most of the cars, and does everything you're looking for. I don't know if it is the same radio in the van, though it looks pretty darn close. My next step would be to call someone, but since i don't have the van yet (tomorrow, i think) i wasn't in much hurry. Now i am.
Hope this helps.

j5races

well after working with the super nice guy at Becker partswedetermined Becker does not make the sound 20 system. So I still need the aux input kit for a sound 20 Mercedes radio.

Anyone??

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
well after working with the super nice guy at Becker partswedetermined Becker does not make the sound 20 system. So I still need the aux input kit for a sound 20 Mercedes radio.

Anyone??
My "Sound 20" looks a lot like this Alpine unit.

That's as close as I've gotten to figuring out the OEM source.

Click the link above to open the web page, and then click on the line that says "Alpine." Another window will open and a picture of the MB CK1211 will appear in it.

Screen shot attached....

-Jon

Attachments

j5races

Yeah it looks like we have a Alpine CM 2296 or 2297. Where do we get a AUX input harness or diagram for that alpine?
I wonder if the soundgate MBAux1 will work on our sprinter? Anyone try it before?

Thanks

j5races

I got it working! Since no one could/would sell me the factory harness to add an AUX input I soldered the wires direct and it works perfectly. :clapping:

Here is how you do it if anyone wants to add the wires to their sound 20 system.

Take out the head unit.
On the back are two empty plugs that have no connector but the pins are sticking out of the radio.
Solder your (not sure which is left or right+) Left or right wire to the Pin numbered 6 (last pin on bottom left of right most small connector), then solder your L/R - <negative> (common to left and right) to pin 5 on the same connector. Last wire is the left or right + (other one) to pin 11 <top row second from the left of the right-side connector when looking at the back of the radio).

I got a cheap mini stereo cable and cut the end off and solder the wires as follows for example: Soldered the white to pin 6, then the red to pin 11, and last the braided shield to pin 5. All this on the top right most connector on the back of hte radio when looking at the back. Thats it.

Hope it helps someone else out. I would hve paid thirty dollars or so for the factory cable, but no one can order/sell it to me. cant find it in the system.

BigBlueBus

I got it working! Since no one could/would sell me the factory harness to add an AUX input I soldered the wires direct and it works perfectly. :clapping:

Here is how you do it if anyone wants to add the wires to their sound 20 system.

Take out the head unit.
On the back are two empty plugs that have no connector but the pins are sticking out of the radio.
Solder your (not sure which is left or right+) Left or right wire to the Pin numbered 6 (last pin on bottom left of right most small connector), then solder your L/R - <negative> (common to left and right) to pin 5 on the same connector. Last wire is the left or right + (other one) to pin 11 <top row second from the left of the right-side connector when looking at the back of the radio).

I got a cheap mini stereo cable and cut the end off and solder the wires as follows for example: Soldered the white to pin 6, then the red to pin 11, and last the braided shield to pin 5. All this on the top right most connector on the back of hte radio when looking at the back. Thats it.

Hope it helps someone else out. I would hve paid thirty dollars or so for the factory cable, but no one can order/sell it to me. cant find it in the system.
Well...that's just how I did mine too.

Where did you mount the aux input plug? see mine below:

Attachments

j5races

You soldered yours direct to the radio when you could buy the harness for your radio for 16 dollars?

I hid the connector with the spliced power for my Griffen ipod connector in behind hte radio. The only thing sticking out is the cord that has the ipod dock connector. so when i plug in the ipod it charges it and plays the audio thru the radio.

Sound better than i thought it would.:thumbup:

BigBlueBus

You soldered yours direct to the radio when you could buy the harness for your radio for 16 dollars?

I hid the connector with the spliced power for my Griffen ipod connector in behind hte radio. The only thing sticking out is the cord that has the ipod dock connector. so when i plug in the ipod it charges it and plays the audio thru the radio.

Sound better than i thought it would.:thumbup:
I couldn't wait the 2 weeks it would take for delivery so I just did it myself with a total install time of 10 minutes.

Avards

I'm attempting to install an XM receiver in my 2008 Sprinter with Sound 20. Would the harness mentioned by j5races work as an aux audio input with it, and where might I order the harness. Am in US, and not in great hurry. If that is not a solution, might anyone know part number and source for appropriate plug?

Thanks,

Avards

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Send a note to Chris Case, or SPRINTERUK on this site. He can get just what you need, quickly and reasonably.

It is a simple patch cable that plugs into the back of your head unit, and has a female 1/8" headphone jack you can plug any kind of audio device into. It is activated when you hold the CDC button on the radio for a few seconds. We have not used the radio, the single CD player, or the 6 disc changer since installing this auxiliary input cable.

Hope this helps
Jef

Top Bottom