PDA

View Full Version : The house of unimog?

jdcaples
01-12-2008, 01:21 AM
This posting (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18529&postcount=4) showing unimog's house...

When was your(?) house built and what are the walls made from? What is the material between the timber?

The look/construction reminds me of a buildings town in England called Lavenum. The older buildings in Lavenum are made of timber that wasn't, um.... "milled."

I could only find one picture of Lavenum and it's from some movie....

Beautiful building.... lovely Freightliner Sprinter too!

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
01-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Historically speaking: One is of English design, Construction of these buildings are over three thousand years in design Most likely of Danish origin very similar to Germanic variants on the European continent where as the English variant uses Oak beams as the outer supporting frame..{ usually green and non milled... there were no mills,, water powered for mass production of timber cutting untill the late 16th century} hence the non uniformity, of the frame works. It is pre-covered by wattle inserts refereed to as Willow but again dependent on local timber specie availability {Slats} as the basic supporting wall frame ,of which dab mud was applied.. poor folk who could not afford a better filler, Those that could afford the internal wall and extruding finish was based on a course sand mortar mix 5 to 1 of cement and then rendered over with a smooth plaster finish internally or textured on the outer wall and then white washed with lime, internal walls were calcimine based paints, usually home made from milk extract. If your were of wealth a an outer course of brick work could be applied for aesthetics in brick bond patterns of Herring bone, and soldier bond lay outs of design.

Slab contraction local trees cut in half and locked together at ends similar to dove tail cuts supported by either stumps and or a base blue metal or sand stone base to act as the medium damp course, gaps filled with mud clay and Hay or grass etc, fillers: added animal manure was used as a binder to assist with keeping the filler open to extend working time of application .
Canada has these all over the place but most are restored or relocated cabins of varying degree they can have a lifespan of up to 3 hundred plus years if you can keep the insects out from nesting in-between the filler.
Heat efficient in both Summer and winter with higher eight foot ceilings and small windows.
Note the use of calcimine and milk based paints, was traditionally used an acting damp course medium, with the introduction of lead based paints, and the latter water based acrylics, used on both Australian and English variants! on these types of building construction in effect caused the immediate decay of the said buildings in side of a ten year period ,even today People ring our firm to ask for advise for how to fix, if damaged beyond repair underpinning of original foundations starts at 20 K, the sad part of these great historic buildings, is that local folk just do not think of the potential damage that can occur to critical structural loading compounds on the building when modern technology is in-corporates, with the use of non-suitable alternative building products ranging from non compatible timbers, cement.. Silca based products acts as an acid, corrosive on both timber and original based plaster works.[ Silca and Lime do not mix] Acyclic paints act as a plastic sheet membrane, which contains moisture thus preventing the breathing of outer and inner walls to naturally express moisture content in varying climatic conditions, water or moisture can only rise and create capillary action.. of expansion.. that will swell the timbers frame which in turn forms a fungi called Crows-Foot this spreads in a fern like pattern, the small micro organisms eat the house to pieces:bash: serious it's not dry rot but looks the same and is as destructive!noticeable at floor level near skirts and where fireplaces are installed timber and bricks are conductive to rising moisture problems, if sealed with plastic based paints and varnishes. Key wall bearer supporting plates, with connecting main floor bearers fail at these points,resulting in unstable floors, if covered with carpet's that have rubber based underlays, Honest I've seen pianos drop below floor level.as to the original floor no longer being capable of supporting dead weight.
Uimog you have a Beautiful unique building.
Richard. Jon the photo represents the re-enactment of the pagan Maypole dance and the bonfire Guy Fawkes, burning of Parliament back in the sixteenth 1606 century?

jdcaples
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Jon the photo represents the re-enactment of the pagan Maypole dance and the bonfire Guy Fawkes, burning of Parliament back in the sixteenth 1606 century?

It's a still shot/screen capture from the movie Witchfinder General (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063285/), staring Ian Ian Ogilvy and Vincent Price.

Thanks for the history/construction lesson. I had no idea Canada had similar buildings. The ones in Lavenum date back to the plague (1348-1352), if I recall correctly. I was amazed that they're still solid, built in a time near the same decades in which Dunwich lost its churches to the sea.

-Jon

unimog
01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
The log cabin dates back to about year 1800 when the homestead was filed at the county court house. It is one building out of several on the old farm, It was constructed of chestnut wood which was the trees growing all over at the time. Later the trees died due to blight around 1900 and they are no longer there. So the land was cleared and the wood used to construct the cabins. The county did some research on the place and found a german immigrant was the first settler on the homestead, The cabin was built over a running spring that exits at the end of the building and the water running through the basement was used to cool the milk since it is very cold year round and it was also handy for indian attacks at the time when holed up. The basement has a walk in fireplace that was used for cooking as well. But love the Sprinter and have now tried it in washington dc traffic today and there is no going back to other vans or trucks here

Altered Sprinter
01-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Jon York UK
England had the plague! and the great fire of London, but outer towns survived , many were destroyed by the revolution of the masses, to the changes of Parliament.. Democracy was Bourne,out of discontent. this still holds, to this day, under the Westminster system and the unique hare Clark voting system of distributing preferences.
Look at these photos and dates. York UK.. The Shambles.. Local street, Mulberry Hall, and Catchets Inn the oldest pub in the UK 1606
My rough Guess is Unimogs property is in excess of two hundred years old, if you look at the bottom of the houses stone foundations there has been a repair that does not match the rubble course of the lesser load bearing internal foundations as to the continuance of the foundations, It may be a Key stone corner foundation which was the acting main support foundation for the leading edges of each side of the building, it's seems water has eroded this section which weakens the foundations.or the fire place has lifted the house from the corner key stone, due to ground movement over the years.
Richard.

Altered Sprinter
01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
The log cabin dates back to about year 1800 when the homestead was filed at the county court house. It is one building out of several on the old farm, It was constructed of chestnut wood which was the trees growing all over at the time. Later the trees died due to blight around 1900 and they are no longer there. So the land was cleared and the wood used to construct the cabins. The county did some research on the place and found a german immigrant was the first settler on the homestead, The cabin was built over a running spring that exits at the end of the building and the water running through the basement was used to cool the milk since it is very cold year round and it was also handy for indian attacks at the time when holed up. The basement has a walk in fireplace that was used for cooking as well. But love the Sprinter and have now tried it in washington dc traffic today and there is no going back to other vans or trucks here
Thanks unimog you slipped the post in while I was doing my bling:clapping:
So in part I have it right 200years+ timeframe derived from germanic origions..Man I love history:professor: and those great buildings.
Richard

unimog
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
richard you did good

maxextz
05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
:thinking: i know them as "tudor" style very nice buildings,:hmmm:
max...