15" Wheels

Buckeyemac

I am a newbie with my first Sprinter. Previous owner changed to 15" wheels, but left 16" for the spare. Came through an automobile auction, so do not know what his thinking was. !5" tires are in very good condition, so see no reason to change back until these are worn out. Always haul less than 1,000 pounds. Need to find a spare from a junk yard. What make wheel will fit? Are there specific problems in running 15" tires that I should be aware of besides the speedometer discrepancy? Thanks.

sailquik

Buckeyemac,
What year model is your Sprinter and is it a 2500 (single rear wheels) or a 3500 with DRW?
Big differences between the 2 as far as the wheels.
Roger

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I am a newbie with my first Sprinter. Previous owner changed to 15" wheels, but left 16" for the spare. Came through an automobile auction, so do not know what his thinking was. Need to find a spare from a junk yard. What make wheel will fit? Are there specific problems in running 15" tires that I should be aware of besides the speedometer discrepancy? Thanks.
Having 15" rims doesn't cause speedometer discrepancy, having the wrong tire diameter will.
LT235/75R15 tires are 28.9" diameter and give accurarte speedomter readings, but under-report on the odomter, LT225/70R15 are 27.4" & overreport the speedometer readings, and give accurate odometer readings, thanks to MB engineering specs.
Only 1 tire I know of that is E rated LT235/75R15 116E and those are Nokian Rotiiva AT designed for year round use, and on and off road, very hard to find, depending where you live that is.

Having a 16" rim spare is possible if the tire diameter matches the 15" rimmed tires.

Buckeyemac

Having 15" rims doesn't cause speedometer discrepancy, having the wrong tire diameter will.
LT235/75R15 tires are 28.9" diameter and give accurarte speedomter readings, but under-report on the odomter, LT225/70R15 are 27.4" & overreport the speedometer readings, and give accurate odometer readings, thanks to MB engineering specs.
Only 1 tire I know of that is E rated LT235/75R15 116E and those are Nokian Rotiiva AT designed for year round use, and on and off road, very hard to find, depending where you live that is.

Having a 16" rim spare is possible if the tire diameter matches the 15" rimmed tires.
Thanks, doubtful that I have the Nokian, but will get under to take a look.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
2005, and 2500
That year/model was delivered with 15 inch tires (perhaps depending upon wheelbase)
(unless your data card says different..)
Have a dealer, or post your VIN here for a member to do so, print you a copy of your MB datacard...
that's a complete listing of what got built into your Sprinter back at the factory.
15 inch rims will make your speedometer read 3% high, and the odometer accurate.

--dick

Buckeyemac

That year/model was delivered with 15 inch tires (perhaps depending upon wheelbase)
(unless your data card says different..)
Have a dealer, or post your VIN here for a member to do so, print you a copy of your MB datacard...
that's a complete listing of what got built into your Sprinter back at the factory.
15 inch rims will make your speedometer read 3% high, and the odometer accurate.

--dick
Thanks Dick. Can anyone help me get a data card. My vin is WD2PD644255721920.
Thanks

Top Bottom