Help with Audio 20/iPod

abell1

I have a 2012 Sprinter that I ordered with the Audio 20 stereo! The option was almost $2000! I would like to be able to plug my iPod into it. I've talked with the dealer I purchased the van from and two others. They are all totally useless and I got a different story from each of them. The owners manual talks about an input on the right-hand side of the display that nobody can find. It also states that the auxiliary input has to be "turned on" by the dealer. When talking to the dealer he just scratches his head and has a blank stare. Also there is supposed to be a cable in the glove box but there is none there. One dealer says "no" Sprinters have them. Is there anybody out there that can give me a clue on how to facilitate this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

sailquik

abell1,
Not sure about your Sound 20 but for the Sound 5 in my latest 2012 NCV3 3500, I had the dealer install the Aux In cable/port before I took delivery of the Sprinter.
They had to pull some of the top of the dash off and pull out the radio to plug in the MB Aux In cable....drill a hole for the jack/port (they put mine right in the middle
of the curved panel at the back of the top tray and while I didn't think I'd like it there, it has turned out to be just fine with a 90 deg. adapter.) and then they
programmed the Sprinter and radio system to give me the Aux In.
Works great to input any device you can plug into a 3.5 mm audio jack.
I use it with my IPOD, and my travel laptop to listen to misuc and audio books!
Not sure if there is a similar cable for your Sound 20, but I would think so.
If not at your dealer, get in touch with the guys at Becker AutoSound in Saddle River, NJ.
Their Aux input Part# 5002.826 should do the trick if you cannot find the correct MB part.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts/index_sprinter.html
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

thlevy48

I would call MBUSA. There are at least 3 IPOD inteface cables available. I have tried them all and none of them work on the '08 sound 20. If you hve the correct cable, installation is very simple and will take only about 20 min.

MellowYellow

I too bought the $2k boat anchor of a radio. I purchased and installed the 3.5mm aux cable ($50) listed in the Audio 20 thread by the member "CathyDad". The dealer had to enable the aux input in the radio programming. After that it was operational. Just not very good. Volume is half that of the cd player or radio. Can't hear it at highway speeds at all. All and all im down $2,050.

Do yourself a favor and go buy a cheapo $50 radio from Wal-Mart with a usb input and call it a day.

wayneskid

I have a 2012 Sprinter that I ordered with the Audio 20 stereo! The option was almost $2000! I would like to be able to plug my iPod into it. I've talked with the dealer I purchased the van from and two others. They are all totally useless and I got a different story from each of them. The owners manual talks about an input on the right-hand side of the display that nobody can find. It also states that the auxiliary input has to be "turned on" by the dealer. When talking to the dealer he just scratches his head and has a blank stare. Also there is supposed to be a cable in the glove box but there is none there. One dealer says "no" Sprinters have them. Is there anybody out there that can give me a clue on how to facilitate this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy
Try sending a PM to Chris Case (SprinterUK). If Chris is still doing this support work, send him your VIN and he can help you determine the part number for the correct cable. I had to educate my dealer (with Chris's help) on how to locate and order the correct cable for my Sound 20. I had the dealer order this part: b66560108. As I recall it was <$20. The install seemed scary at first glance but was really a piece of cake. I believe the cable came with instructions including how to "enable" the AUX input.

Disclaimer: notice that my Sprinter is a 2008 and my system is Sound 20 not Audio 20.

PM me if you want more information.

Good luck!

PS. Put your Sprinter model and year in your signature. It's really helpful to those trying to give you a hand. :cheers:

Sprinter SS

Dude, just get the cable that is not iPod specific (headphone jack) plug and have the dealer activate the input of the radio. You can physically plug it in the back of the radio but it has to be activated. I have seen where others have had good luck with the iPod interface cord but they want like 350 bucks for it, and for me I just control it off my phone. Now the old 30 pin iPod connector is going obsolete anyway.

Top Bottom