Help! Transmission oil change

I'm doing a oil change on my 04 2500 and the 06 service manual says it takes 14.8 Pts (7+ Qts) and the NAPA store told me it should take @5 Qts and I drained out 4Qts how much oil should it take?

talkinghorse43

Re: Help! Transmition oil change

You apparently haven't drained the torque converter yet. The service manual quantity is after draining the torque converter. It is best to also drain the torque converter. If you decide to do so, remember to only rotate the engine clockwise (looking from the front) with a socket (1 1/16" or 27 mm) on the crank pulley bolt to find the drain plug.

talkinghorse43

If you haven't dropped the pan, some will remain there due to the position of the drain. I recommend dropping the pan if you haven't and cleaning that out as well. I always change the pan gasket, but it's OK to reuse. I change the filter every time as well because I like to tear it apart to see what it's collected. If you blindly use the amount stated in the manual for refill, you could possibly overfill, so I always check level with the MB dipstick I bought from Europarts and measure temp as well, just to be sure.

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Quoth the 2006 manual (with added emphasis):
page 21-34 said:
(a) If only fluid and filter were changed,
add 7.4 L ((14.8 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission.
(b) If transmission was completely overhauled,
torque converter was replaced or drained, and
cooler was flushed, add 7.7 L (16.3 pts.) of transmission
fluid to transmission.
and/but on the next page they say:
(19) Lower the vehicle and add 7.0 L (7.4 qts.) of
transmission fluid to the transmission.
(20) Check the oil level (Refer to 21 - Check Oil Level)
.. i suspect that the "7.4 L" in the first quote is incorrect... i'd believe that the "translator" mistakenly put the "7.4 quarts" of the second quote into the first quote's text. Especially since 7.4 quarts is 14.8 pints, but 7.4 L would be 15.64 pints. (7.7 L is 16.3 pints)
So i'd go for 7.0 liters if you also changed the filter. If you didn't change the filter, well... why not?

--dick

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Didn't check before I posted above, but '03 service manual states:

"(a) If only fluid and filter were changed, add 5.0
L (10.6 pts.) of transmission fluid to transmission."

Mine usually takes a full 8 qts to fill, but last time was about 7-3/4 qts.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Good catch...

I'd guess that someone editing / reviewing the text totally blew it...

The 2004 Service manual agrees with the 2006, so it was between 2003 and 2004 that they blew it...

--dick

I did change the filter and drained the converter filled with 8 Qts and with my home made stick it seams to be right on. They talk about trans temp and there is quite a difference between 77'F and 180'F. What is my most economical way to check the trans temp? I still have a smoke issue, I hear of a DAD not shure what that dose or if it would help with other diagnostics I would need to do.

Top Bottom