PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance item for passenger vans with rear AC?

seans
02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
At 100,000 miles (just shy of it, actually) a failed alternator caused my serpentine belt to be thrown which caused the rear AC belt to come off.

While inspecting all the pulleys I found that the rear AC tensioning pulley had a good amount of play. Further inspection showed a broken washer between the bearing and the pulley (it's part of the pulley/bearing assembly.)

This particular van experiences a loud grinding noise when the rear AC is turned on for the first time after several days of non-use, if it has been hot outside.

Based on a another post I found when researching this beforehand, I think that us rear AC owners should consider making replacement of the belt an "every two-three years or every 30K miles maintenance item" (a double wrench service item for ASSYST owners) so that a fresh belt can maintain tension and hopefully not grind, and also check that pulley for play. (Bad me; I have not done that.)

Thoughts from other owners?

pgr
02-15-2013, 06:52 PM
My belt kept coming off no matter how much I tried to adjust or align it. I finally just gave up on it and its been off for a few years now. I wish the van never came with the rear air it only adds height to it and more needless problems. I'd just as soon put the window down as run the air anyhow!

seans
02-15-2013, 07:29 PM
pgr, great avatar photo.

My kids would rebel if the rear air did not work.

I don't have a replacement pulley yet so I'm leaving the belt off too. I've heard somewhere that a compressor will seize if not turned occasionally but this could be folklore. Maybe I can rotate it during maintenance intervals. It might provide an incentive to finally install my boat hatch.

+drive
02-16-2013, 01:15 AM
I replaced my pulley and belt about 45K ago when I purchased it. Europarts-sd.com carries them. Both were shot. I may be due for another set, but they still spin the compressor.

cahaak
02-16-2013, 02:31 AM
I have found that I need to replace my belt about once a year. A 385 x 17 fits great and tensions up great. My local Fleet Farm has those belts for around $6. I do get a bit of a screech also upon turning on after a long rest. Sounds like I need to take a closer look at things.

Chris

pgr
02-16-2013, 10:03 AM
pgr, great avatar photo.

My kids would rebel if the rear air did not work.

I don't have a replacement pulley yet so I'm leaving the belt off too. I've heard somewhere that a compressor will seize if not turned occasionally but this could be folklore. Maybe I can rotate it during maintenance intervals. It might provide an incentive to finally install my boat hatch.

No one rides in my van other than the wife on the occasional camping trip to Canada so I can drive with my windows down as I please. I can't stand riding in her car as she usually has the air on high and I'm freezing to death! The strange thing is she won't let me run the air at home as she says it makes her too cold! Go figure?

My front condenser has had a leak a leak in it for several years and so that one doesn't work either and I'm perfectly happy without it. Good ting I live in New England and AC is only necessary for a few weeks in the summer anyway!