My new 2012/144 SHAKES it SHOULD said Mercedes USA

Classic Marine

Pissed of at Mercedes update.
I just returned from my 5th trip to M/B with a company rep this time.
We drove the van today it is still shaking at 45 to 55mph then they worked on it for a day .
Results are: The shaking/fluttering from under the van is NORMAL...???
The van does not vibrate per M/B it SHAKES or FLUTTERS but it does not vibrate....!!!
I find this NOT to be a good answer at all.
This is my 2nd service van my first was a 2005 Sprinter/144 it was awesome no shake at all thats why I bought new.
Sad to say I would never buy this van again if this is how a Mercedes engineer designed it.....to SHAKE ........not vibrate.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
We drove the van today it is still shaking at 45 to 55mph then they worked on it for a day .
The van does not vibrate per M/B it SHAKES or FLUTTERS but it does not vibrate....!!!
This is my 2nd service van my first was a 2005 Sprinter/144 it was awesome no shake at all thats why I bought new.
Sad to say I would never buy this van again if this is how a Mercedes engineer designed it.....to SHAKE ........not vibrate.
Comes on back to the first complaint.https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.PISSED OFF AT MERECEDESphp?t=24925
It's repeat not the design of MB.... rather the fault:thinking: if there is one:shifty: comes back to the dealership.OF not being able to resolve your compliant: AS YOUR EVIDENT HEARSAY OF NO EVIDENCE OF EXACTING RECTIFICATION. PRESENTED.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
I just returned from my 5th trip to M/B with a company rep this time. We drove the van today it is still shaking at 45 to 55mph then they worked on it for a day . Results are: The shaking/fluttering from under the van is NORMAL...?
"NORMAL... Shake / Flutter "... I agree with you... and find it to be a unacceptable answer. The Sprinter I drive does not Shake or Flutter on it's own.

Boater

If there was nothing wrong why did they work on it?
Sounds like 'we couldn't fix it so better fob the guy off with some story about it being normal'

Vibration can be measured, simplest way would be an airborne noise meter, I saw on top gear where they used one which was a mobile phone app.....

Check your noise exposure regulations, if the vibration means you will legally need to wear ear defenders to use it for work based on noise levels and duration of typical exposure (driving time) that must be grounds for declaring it not fit for purpose, even if you choose to wear ear defenders anyway as several members revealed they do recently (I'm a turn the stereo up kind of guy).

flman

Uh, I hope you are not driving a heavy laden van with door tag air pressures in the tires? Put 70 PSI in the front and rear and report back? I used to run them both at 80 PSI, but I found 70 sufficed just fine.

At least the door tag in the T1N makes more sense, 60 in the front and 80 in the rear under load.

I have heard people trade their van in for a heavier model when all the had to do was put some extra air in the tires? :rolleyes:

Turbo John

I was thinking about "Shake Rattle and Roll"

So all of these vans do this....100% ?

Jchirchirillo

JChirchirillo
Uh, I hope you are not driving a heavy laden van with door tag air pressures in the tires? Put 70 PSI in the front and rear and report back? I used to run them both at 80 PSI, but I found 70 sufficed just fine.

At least the door tag in the T1N makes more sense, 60 in the front and 80 in the rear under load.

I have heard people trade their van in for a heavier model when all the had to do was put some extra air in the tires? :rolleyes:

Very true .. My snowmobile trailer shakes when I inflate tires to manufacture spec . They call for 48psi. I put 38psi and rides smooth for past 8 years. Rolling hard too.. at 85 + @ times . I think the tires are just to hard in my case . Slight dips in asphalt cause vibration.

Eric Experience

Classic marine.
If you want help to fix it you will have to be precise about the problem, Is it road, speed or throttle dependent. is it a noise or a vibration you feel and if so where do you feel it. Eric

NBB

My OE Continentals were garbage. I should have thrown them away on day one. I'm still repairing things that rattled loose in those first 15k miles before the tire wore out.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Have them take / ride with you for a test drive in any other Sprinter on their lot.
If it shakes/flutters, then ... yup... it's normal.

If it doesn't (and i'm pretty sure it won't), demand that yours be made perform as well (quietly, unfluttery) as the one you just drove.
(i suppose you could suggest that they swap drive shafts between the two vehicles)

--dick

showkey

Have them take / ride with you for a test drive in any other Sprinter on their lot.
If it shakes/flutters, then ... yup... it's normal.

If it doesn't (and i'm pretty sure it won't), demand that yours be made perform as well (quietly, unfluttery) as the one you just drove.
(i suppose you could suggest that they swap drive shafts between the two vehicles)

--dick
All great ideas and the norm in trying isolate or demonstrate characteristics of a vehicle, normal or abnormal.

Sure hope the MB engineer would have done all the above................with the customer as a passenger and driver. If they did not do this.........their repair attempt was sub-standard:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Top Bottom